- Holidays and Celebrations»
Halloween Cat Veggie Tray
I need something super spectacular for the Spooktacular Trailer Rally
Our annual Spooktacular Vintage Trailer and Teardrop rally is coming up again and I need to bring something new to the table (literally). Each year I plan to make this and somehow, it never happens. However, we actually made it at home and found that it is much larger than the picture makes it appear.
This is not my own creation, I borrowed the photo and the recipe from Disney Family Fun where you can find many other great Halloween ideas, Wish I had time to make them all but this one just appealed to me. It is going to look really great surrounded by the stuffed rats I've collected.
Here Kitty, Kitty - I know there's a cat in here somewhere
No cats were harmed in the making of the tasty and adorable Halloween treat.
WAIT...Homeschooling math lesson
Never pass up to work on our skills - Fractions
How many celery stalks does it take to make the legs of the cat?
We are starting with a little deductive reasoning. The legs are not celery stalks but celery sticks. What's the difference? Celery sticks are celery stalks sliced in half. Normally, when we eat celery, we are not that fussy so we had to reason this one out.
The celery sticks need to be approximately the same size as the feet. So before cutting the celery, it is necessary to find 16 baby carrots that are about the same size. He measured the carrots and they are about 2 inches. Now that we know how big the leg pieces need to be, he measured the celery stalks. They are about about 8 inches so we have deduced that it is going to take 1 celery stalks to make a leg.
It would probably take much less time to make if we hadn't eaten some of the cut vegetables and had to make more.
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 8
- Assorted fresh vegetables of your choice, including:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green beans
- Arrange vegetables shown in picture. I couldn't find squash when I was making the cat so used Ritz crackers for the backbone. It was still yummy.
Details of the cat face from my creation
Cauliflower ears, tomato eyes with slits made of carrot. Carrot nose and celery mouth round out the face.
How to create the Halloween cat head - Black Bean Dip
Arrange the cat's features following the photo.
- Prep time: 20 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: 4 to 6
- 1 15.5 oz can of black beans
- 1/3 cup medium-hot salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic minced
- Shallow 6 inch bowl
- Drain and rinse the black beans
- Combine the beans, salsa, cilantro, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Combine the black beans, salsa, cilantro leaves, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl that is an appropriate size for the head. We used a 6 inch shallow bowl that is about the right size.
- Cut one cauliflower piece in half for the ears. Trim the stem to make it pointed. Use two cherry tomatoes for the eyes. On each eye, add a sliver of carrot. The nose is a carrot cut into a triangle and the mouth is two small celery slices to make the smile.
Campground friendly blender
If I am going to make this at the campground, I will need a blender. Since many of the campgrounds do not have hookups and you never know when a blender will be necessary, I might need one that will operate from the car's power point. It's a vintage trailer rally so I will have to hide it. They didn't have any in 1959.
Halloween Cat Assembly
Debated what kind of tray to put it on but I think that white is the best color
I want all the veggie colors to show up. I did consider black to get into the spirit but the tomatoes might blend in. When we put it together, we discovered it quite large. We used the white board we had used for homeschooling. At the campsite, we will get white butcher paper and cover the table.
Would you serve your guest a skeleton cat?
I would serve this to my guest
Our finished project
What to do with all the left over vegetables after crafting your masterpiece?
OK, you've created the masterpiece but it won't feed a lot of people and being outside makes campers hungry. So, fill up containers with the remaining vegetables and double the dip.
A little about the Spooktacular Vintage Trailer and Teardrop Rally
- Vintage Trailer Halloween Decorations
The weekend before Halloween is the date of the annual Spooktacular Vintage Trailer Rally at the Catalina State Park in Tucson, Arizona. Since 2006, vintage trailerites and teardroppers have gathered for a howling-good weekend of fun and decorating..
I wish I had time to make all of these
- More Halloween vegetable delights
10 more incredibly clever vegetable dishes that are guaranteed to please even the pickiest eater. After all, who could resist these Halloween treats.