How to Make Heart Shaped Pancakes
Discover how to serve up a romantic and delicious breakfast or dessert for your loved one with these Heart Pancakes! Find the yummiest pancake recipe, and how to make perfect heart-shaped pancakes right here.
Whether you are serving up a sweet treat for Valentine's Day, a special romantic occasion, Pancake Day, or as something fun for the kids, you'll find lots of ideas and twists to inspire you!
Photo Credit: Heart Pancakes by Nezemnaya via Flickr Creative Commons
This work is the copyright of the author, MissMerFaery (January 2012). Please DO NOT copy this elsewhere either in print or online.
Heart-shaped pancakes make a superb surprise treat for your loved ones! Whether serving up to your spouse or partner for Valentines Day or a special occasion, or to your kids as a fun treat, read on to find out how to make perfect heart pancakes every time!
Sure, you could rustle up some fast and easy heart pancakes with a bit of pancake mix and some heart-shaped rings. But why not go one step further and make a special effort for your loved one, by making real homemade buttermilk pancakes - mmmm, delicious! It's easier than you think!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 8-14 mins (depending if you cook 1 or 2 at a time)
- 150 g plain flour
- 120 ml buttermilk
- 75 ml water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 30 -40g lard
- Maple syrup or other topping of choice
- NOTE: This recipe uses pancake rings, but you can also adapt the recipe to use with a shaped pancake pan as well. I do two at a time but you can also do one at a time or more depending on the number and size of shaped rings that you have.
- 1. Beat the eggs and set aside
- 2. Sieve the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl, and form a well in the centre
- 3. Whisk together the buttermilk and cold water in a jug, before slowly whisking the mixture into the well, gradually incorporating the flour as you add the liquid little by little
- 4. Add the eggs to the mixture, also a little at a time, until you are left with a smooth batter
- 5. Heat 2 teaspoons of the lard over a medium heat in a large frying pan until the fat is shimmering. Place the pancake rings inside the pan and pour in 2-3 tablespoons of batter per pancake
- 6. Wait 1 minute for the pancakes to turn golden brown, then turn using a fork and spatula, allowing around 45 seconds to 1 minute for the other side. They should puff up like souffles
- 7. Transfer to some kitchen towel to absorb residual fat, and serve hot with topping of choice
- 8. Repeat until all the batter has been used up (add more lard to the pan each time as needed)
- TOP TIP: Best served straight from the pan, but if you want to serve them all together, warm the oven during prep time and keep the early ones warming inside.
Creative Ideas for for Heart Pancakes
There are lots of ways to give your pancakes a heart theme! Here are some more ideas for constructing, colouring, topping and decorating your heart pancakes!
* Decorate with halved strawberries to create more "hearts"
* Draw hearts on top of a heart-shaped or normal-shaped pancake using your topping of choice - red and pink colours are especially good!
* Make a pancake sandwich out of your heart pancakes, with a pink or yummy filling
* Make your pancakes even more romantic by turning them various shades of red or pink! Try this Recipe for Pink Heart Pancakes
* Make your heart into a pierced heart - you could use food for this, such as the bacon and strawberry combo above, or use a cocktail stick or skewer with a strawberry on the end
* If you're making heart pancakes as a dessert, add pink ice-cream or sandwich some between two pancakes - mmm! Or stack 'em high with your choice of dessert fillings and toppings, with some halved strawberries tumbling over!
* No heart shaped rings, or even cookie cutters to hand? No problem! Improvise by putting heart shapes on top of your regular pancakes. Ooze some red fruit topping into the shape of a heart, pop on a halved strawberry, or even pour melted chocolate on top in a heart shape, for an extra decadent treat!
* Find more great ideas in the heart pancake video tutorials below!
MORE GREAT IDEAS FOR A HEART-Y BREAKFAST
* Heart fried eggs * Heart toast * Heart waffles * Halved strawberries
* Heart breakfast sandwiches * Heart muffins * Cereal or porridge topped with halved strawberries in a heart-shaped bowl
How to Make Heart Pancakes Video Guides - Make Heart Pancakes, a Heart Valentine Breakfast, Hearts on your Pancakes and More!
Are Heart Pancakes for you?
Would you love to...
Make heart pancakes with ease, with this selection of great heart pancake pans and rings!
This cute heart-shaped pan makes heart pancake-making easy, and it even embosses a little heart into your pancake as well! Serve up perfect heart pancakes every time. And if you're impatient, why not treat yourself to two, so you can make double the amount in one go?
* Measures 10.5 inches/26.5cm in length
* Made of nonstick and has a stay cool comfort handle
* A sweet and romantic heart embossed into your pancake
* FDA approved nonstick coating
* Hand washing recommended