- Holidays and Celebrations
Holiday Candle Holders
Add Beauty and Light With Holiday Votive Candle Holders
Candles bring warmth, comfort and that certain holiday glow to the home during the holidays. Dressing up your candles in a variety of holiday votives is a great way to add personality and charm to your holiday decorations. Create a centerpiece or scatter them around the house to illuminate every corner of every room. Here you will find a wide variety of holiday votives, from the glitter and sparkle or crystal and glass to the myth and mystery of the reindeer, and even a few you can make on your own.
photo source: http://www.digsdigs.com/37-easy-to-make-christmas-decorations/
Create Your Own Holiday Votive
A great project to do with kids!
Here's a great easy project that's perfect for kids and fun for adults. Adapted from David Fisher's stained glass votive project at About.com Guide.
For this project you'll need:
- A glass votive holder Small pieces of colored holiday tissue paper (it gives a nice translucence to the votive holder, but you can also use magazine paper, or thin pieces of cloth)
- White glue diluted with a little bit of water
- A small brush
- Put about three tablespoons of white glue into a jar or cup and add about one tablespoon of water. You want it about the consistency of watery paint.
- Cut your tissue paper into small squares or other patterns. For a more random stained glass look, tear the paper into random varied shapes.
- Brush some of the diluted glue onto the glass. Work on a couple of rows or a small section at a time. You don't need a lot of glue, just enough for the paper to stick.
- Layer on the tissue paper pieces. Layering colors on top of colors will give different effects as the light shines through - both in changing the color and the translucence.
- Once one section is finished, brush some glue onto the next section and add tissue to that section.
- Once the votive holder is completely covered to your liking, lightly brush a coat of diluted glue over the entire outside.
Note: the color of some tissue papers will bleed when they get wet and your colors can bleed onto one another - go light with the glue to help prevent this.
Let the holders dry for a bit and then add another light coat of glue. Four coats will give a nice, hard, shiny covering.
Once the votive holder is dry, drop in a votive candle, light, and enjoy! There are many different variations you can make on this project:
- Use different color or thickness of paper
- Use a combination of printed and non-printed paper
- Add bits of cloth, string, or wire
- Glue on beads, glitter, pebbles, gems or other sparkly items
- Add letters or write on sections of the paper
This stained glass candle holder has been done in beautiful iridescent jewel tones that reflect the light perfectly. The unique 8 pointed star pattern would fit in beautifully with any decor. This candle holder measures an impressive 6 inches tall, and 5 inches across. Perfect for pillar candles, tealights, and votive candles. What a sparkle this would add to your holiday decor and what a great gift this would make for anyone who appreciates unique artistic glass art, or any candle lover.
Think glass for elegance, sparkle, shimmer and shine to your holiday decorating.
Add a touch of elegnace and tradition to your Christmas decorating this year with berries.
Here's An Easy And Elegant Votive
CRANBERRY ICE CANDLE
1 empty, pint-size carton of milk or half and half, clean and dry
1-2 12-oz. bags Ocean Spray® Fresh Cranberries
1 floating candle
Orange slices, acorns, small leaves or other decorations, if desired
Start with a pint-size carton of milk or half and half. Open the carton all the way and clean well. Carefully pour water and Ocean Spray® Fresh Cranberries into carton filling to about an inch below top of carton. If desired, drop in a few orange slices, acorns, small leaves or other decorations along the sides of the carton. Place floating candle or tea light on top of the cranberries and water in center of arrangement. Carefully place the carton in the freezer on a flat surface and freeze overnight. Once completely frozen, gently peel away carton to reveal the frozen contents. Dip carton in warm water if needed to loosen. Place frozen centerpiece in shallow bowl or deep plate.
from: ocean spray cranberry gifts
Holiday decorating has never been so easy! This chic set of 2 candle rings comes with glass votive holders and candles. Each ring is exquisitely decorated with red berries and lush green foliage and the candles are even included
We are drawn to the reindeer each holiday season for the mystical myth that it embodies. Tiny reindeer hooves beating on the roof above as santa silently slips down the chimney. Its a magical time indeed.
Fun and festive, celebrate the magic of Christmas with a whimsical reindeer jumping high over a glass votive candle holder.