Homemade Coupon Book Gift Ideas for Any Holiday or Occasion
Give the Gift of Your Own Time, Effort and Love With a Handmade Coupon or Coupon Book
Sure, you can add something special that might cost some money, but that's not necessary with homemade gift coupons for all sorts of occasions, celebrations and holidays. Family and friends will love these thoughtful and creative gifts from the heart, regardless.
Here, you'll find suggestions for individual coupons and whole coupon book ideas, many that will cost nothing more than some elbow grease and effort or simply the pleasure of your company. Other ideas will add some money to the mix, but how much you spend is up to you (unless you're brave and want to leave it up to the recipient of that coupon).
I've also included links to customizable templates you can print at home and some pre-printed coupon books you can buy online, in case you don't have the time or the crafty knack for making them on your own.
At the bottom of the page, I'll show you the oversized book of gift coupons -- one for each month of the year -- that I made for my sister- and brother-in-law (new parents of twins) for Christmas, with the help of two crafty and creative family members. You can see one of the pages here for the month of August, which is the new mom's birthday month.
You can e-mail the gift-ee their gift or print a hard copy. Choose from 192 coupons and 62 background designs. You come up with the actual gift idea. (See all my suggestions below.)
Design Your Own Coupons and Print Them
I've gone the "totally from scratch route" and also used these templates to make the coupons and the sending a little easier. Just add your creative juices to design and make your own printable gifts for spouses, friends, and family.
Coupon categories include:
- New Baby
- Child to Parent
- Parent to Child
- Adult to Parent
Some of the Many Occasions Perfect for Giving Homemade Coupon Books
What other occasions or celebrations can you think of when these would be appropriate gifts?
- New Moms and Dads
- Valentine's Day
- Retirement Parties
- Mother's Day and Father's Day
Homemade Coupons: Suggestions for Free or Almost Free Gifts
This coupon entitles you to....
- A thorough house-cleaning
- A car-washing, inside and out
- Breakfast in bed
- A home-cooked candlelight dinner
- A massage ... from me
- A picnic at the park (or lake or beach, etc.)
- A manicure ... from me
- A night of dancing with yours truly
- An evening of babysitting, so the two of you can go out for a date
- Having your laundry done -- folded too! -- once a week for a month
- Having your bed made every day for a week
- Having your lawn mowed (or replace with some other type of yardwork, like weeding the garden for example)
- Having your garage organized and cleaned (especially for those with overstuffed, cluttered garages)
- A full day of elbow grease from me, to do whatever chores and projects around the house you'd like
- Having a homemade lunch brought to your office (by me!) every day for a week
- The favor of your choice
- My honest opinion
- Control of the TV remote for a month
- A big, long hug!
- A full, uninterrupted hour of snuggling
- A weekend camping trip with all meals prepared and the campfire built by yours truly.
- Daily dog-walking for a week (a month, etc.) ... and a dog bath would be nice, too
- Mend clothing, add patches, replace buttons
- A long walk on the beach
These will cost you some extra money.
This coupon entitles you to.....
- Dinner for two at ___ (Fill in the restaurant and include a gift certificate, unless you're one of the two going)
- The movie of your choice (Include a theater gift card, unless you're taking the gift-ee.)
- A day at the spa
- A new outfit (Add a specific store, if you want, and include a gift certificate ... unless you'll be going along to pay.)
- An evening of babysitting so you can go out and have some fun (Include with this a gift certificate or gift card for a nice restaurant, theater or movie tickets perhaps)
- A manicure and pedicure at ______
- A session with a personal trainer (Arrange to pay for it.)
- A concert or other live show of your choice, accompanied by me (or their spouse, significant other, etc.)
- A weekend getaway to a destination of your choice (or be specific about the location)
- Having a [insert dollar amount] donation made in your name to a charity / cause of your choice
- A replacement [insert item] for the one you loved and lost (This idea came from a gift coupon my boyfriend gave me, for a new down jacket of my choice after I lost one I really liked while we were on vacation. I eventually picked one out, and he paid for it.)
Ideas by Group
- Coupons for Kids Under 10
Coupon for a kiss Coupon for a bear hug See more ideas...
- Coupons for Teens and Tweens
Coupon for a full tank of gas Coupon for a ride from Mom or Dad to a destination of your choice See more ideas...
- Coupons for Adults, Families and Friends
Coupon for a girls' night out Coupon for a dessert every month for a year See more ideas...
Printables: Use these templates and customize....
Ideas and Supplies for Making Those Homemade Coupons More Snazzy
Let's Get Crafty, Colorful and Creative
Sure, you can grab a magic marker and a piece of plain paper, write the coupon, cut it out and hand it over. Or you can use a greeting card or birthday card for example and write what you're gifting inside. Besides, it's the thought that counts, right?
But if you want to get a little more flashy and creative, here are some basic suggestions from my own homemade coupon-making experience:
Stop by your local craft store (or Amazon.com perhaps) and pick up some of these supplies...
You can certainly use and decorate white paper, perhaps with your own drawings, which I'm sure the gift-ee will love. Or you can use colored paper like this assortment.
Give the written word on your coupons some sparkle without having to put the glue down first, then sprinkle glitter and then dump off the excess. This is a much cleaner and simpler way to add sparkle as you write with the glitter.
Bring out your inner artist with this assortment. These are a staple of mine when getting coupon-crafty.
You can jazz things up with some funky edges.
More Craft Supplies for Decorating Homemade Gift Coupons....
Punch a hole in the corners of your coupons, then tie them together with ribbon or yarn to make a booklet.
Here's some pretty ribbon for tying the pages together through the hole/s you make in the corners or along the top or left edge.
Not much into drawing? No problem, just add some stickers. Any kind of decorative stickers will do, like these patterned stars, or you can go with a theme like those below....
Birthdays are great times for homemade coupons, and you can jazz them up with these fun stickers, whether the birthday boy or girl is in their single digits or three digits! (Grandparents LOVE homemade coupons.)
There are SO many things new parents would love to have help with, and a fun treat is always great, too.
Loads and loads of all types of stickers to go nuts with on your coupons.
I've also used these for helping my young nieces and nephews decorate their school book covers, lunch boxes and more.
Pre-Printed Gift Coupon Books
If you'd rather not get crafty or just don't have the time....
...these booklets are a great work-around. I've "resorted" to using these when I've waited until the very last minute to put together a present. It may not be as fun or personalized as making them yourself, but the gift-ee will be just as happy, believe me.
This coupon booklet includes 16 perforated coupons from the heart, each good for something special for someone special. The cover is made from recycled card stock with red foil accent.
This coupon book contains 20 perforated vouchers, which express love in nonmaterial ways. Vouchers for friends include Favor of Choice, Airport Ride, Honest Opinion, Treat for Dinner and 16 more unique coupons.
You'll also find another version of these for new parents, including diaper duty, alone time, dinner delivery and more.
Our Own Homemade Coupon Book
This booklet was a gift for a new mom and dad of twins--a boy and a girl--for babysitting while they go out for a date. There's one themed coupon for each month, and the first three months also include gift certificates for local restaurants or movies.