- Holidays and Celebrations»
how to make a homemade fairy princess costume
homemade fairy princess costume
What you'll need:
- Pink or white dress
- White leotards
- Pink or white shoes, ballet slippers, or sparkly flats
- Approximately three yards of pink or white tulle
- 2 white wire coat hangers
- Old panty hose, or pink or white tights
- White shoe strings
- A wooden dowel
- Silver paint or spray paint
- Cardboard (for the wand's star)
- Tin foil
- Hot glue gun
- Miscellaneous gems, jewels, and/or sparkle fabric glue, if desired
How to make it:
- Create a simple skirt with the tulle by stitching a basted stitch around the top long side, then pulling the stitch to create a gathered effect, securing it in the back once the skirting is on, to make it look like the skirting is part of the dress.
- Cut a simple five-point star from the cardboard, and cover it with tin foil, securing in the back with the hot glue gun. Paint the dowel silver, and attach to the back of the star. Using simple and inexpensive gems, you can decorate the star any way you'd like. We used plastic beads and the hot glue gun, and added a few strands of sequined string at the base of the star.
- Using two white wire coat hangers, cut and bend them into wing shapes, larger at the top and smaller at the bottom. Have an adult need to cut off the "hook" part of the wire coat hanger with wire cutters.
- Cut the legs off of the hose, and wrap one around each circle created by the wire. Secure the hose at the bottom by tying it in a knot, or by sewing it closed with a few small stitches.
- Join the two wings together in the middle by sewing, or hot gluing. It's fun to decorate the wings with sparkles and gems, and even draw fun shapes with sparkle fabric glue.
- Attach the shoe strings to the back in two circles to create loops through which to place the child's arms, much like a backpack. Tips:
- Often, you can find an inexpensive tiara at a discount store, craft shop, or party store, to add a little sparkle to your princess costume.
- You'll want to make sure that the skirt isn't too long, so that you're sure not to trip and get injured while climbing up and down steps.
- Rosy cheeks make a nice addition, if you want to add a bit of rouge to the child's face.
- If you are uncomfortable making the wings, you may be able to find them in a craft shop or party store.