- Holidays and Celebrations»
homemade ladybug costume
homemade lady bug costume
Corner the market on cuteness with this ladybug costume. A
simple enough craft that kids won't have to 'bug' you too much
to get it done-makes a great costume for kids appearing in
school or church plays.
What you'll need:
- Black leotard or turtleneck
- Black leggings or sweatpants
- 2 Chenille stems
- Red poster board
- Pen or pencil
- Black construction paper
- 1" Wide ribbon
How to make it:
- For the body, use a black leotard or turtleneck with black leggings or sweatpants.
- For the antennae, wrap two pipe cleaners around a headband. If desired, curl the pipe cleaners around a pencil or finger.
- For the ladybug, use half of a sheet of red poster board. Cut the poster board into an oval.
- Cut two half-inch strips of black construction paper and glue down the center of the poster board oval.
- Cut various size circles out of black construction paper and glue on the poster board in a symmetric pattern.
- Let glue dry.
- To attach the wings, cut four sets of two slits in the poster board wings. The slits should be about an inch long and an inch apart, two sets near the top of the wings, and two sets about twelve to fourteen inches below.
- Thread a length of inch-wide ribbon through the slits to form shoulder straps, with the ends of the ribbon through the bottom slits. Try the wings on the child, adjust the shoulder straps to fit, and tie off the ribbon.
This idea could also be modified to make dragonflies, house flies, bumblebees and other bugs using other colors of poster board and making an appropriately-shaped pattern to transfer onto the poster board.