- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Make a Valentine for your Valentine!
Valentine's Day is a commercialized holiday, but I appreciate the excuse to show people that I care about them. I avoid the commercial aspect of the holiday by creating my own homemade valentines. Anyone can go to a store and pick up a card, but these handmade valentines will show your loved one that you really care.
In this lens, I will share with you homemade valentines I have made and received over the years. Hopefully these images will help inspire you to create your own valentine this year!
Do you ever make your own Valentines?
Breakfast in Bed
Surprise your significant other with breakfast in bed on Valentine's Day. Don't like crumbs in your bed? Then create a vibrant breakfast that will make your loved one feel pampered and loved.
Chocolate covered strawberries are a really romantic dessert. Make your own, place them in a tin and give them as a valentine to someone you love!
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: 4-10
- 1 lb Strawberries
- 1 cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 tsp vegitable oil
- Wash your strawberries and pat dry. Cover a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- Put the chocolate chips and oil in a microwave safe bowl. Melt the chocolate by microwaving in 30-second intervals, making sure to stir after each interval until the chocolate is smooth.
- One at a time, dip the strawberries into the chocolate and then place onto the wax paper sheet. Place in your refrigerator until the chocolate has set (approximately 30 min) If you run out of chocolate, melt some more with the same proportion of chocolate:oil.
Say I love you with baked goods
A basket of cookies or a home baked cake will be received with open arms. Why not write your message on cookies out of decorative frosting? Why not shape sugar cookies so they spell out your message?
This is a simple way to show someone you care, and would make a good valentine for someone who isn't your significant other.
Items that may help you craft your homemade valentines
Construction paper, glitter, hearts... there is a lot you can do to show someone you care!
Bling up your cut-out valentine by using glitter glue to attach it to the contrasting paper.
Make a Mixed Tape
So no one listens to tapes anymore, but a mixed CD or personalized playlist are a great way to show someone you care about them. If you have been dating someone for any length of time, there will be songs that are significant to the two of you. You can make a case to put the CD in that is covered with inside jokes or other Valentine's Day related themes.
I received the following CD and homemade case (complete with some cute cats) a few years ago. I still listen to that CD!