- Holidays and Celebrations»
- United States Holidays
How to Make Cornbread Dressing
Learn How to Make Cornbread Dressing -- It's Easy!
It's actually very easy to make Southern style homemade cornbread dressing. Here I explain how to make cornbread dressing. Making cornbread dressing is easy, but it's time consuming. Below I will teach you how to make my Grandmother's super yummy homemade cornbread dressing. It's more of a process than a recipe, but the good news is that makes it close to impossible to get wrong. If you're more of a by the letter recipe type cook, I also include cornbread dressing recipes.
Image credit: Cornbread dressing by kimberlykv on Flickr
Cornbread Dressing Ingredients - What you will need
- 3 Packages cornbread dressing mix. Be sure to choose one with a lot of yellow cornmeal and very little flour. I like Betty Crocker cornbread muffin mix.
- 1 Stick of butter.
- 2 Boxes of chicken broth (I like Swansons).
- Ground poultry seasoning.
- Ground sage.
- Ground black pepper.
- Yellow onion.
- Green onion.
Prepare Ahead of Time
The night before you plan to make your dressing, bake your cornbread and chop all of your vegetables. Lay a paper towel over the prepared cornbread after it has cooled and simply store on the counter top over night. Keep chopped veggies in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This will make it much easier for you to prepare the dressing the following morning.
The night before you plan to prepare the cornbread dressing, bake your cornbread and chop all of your vegetables. This will save you a lot of time, plus I find day old cornbread makes better dressing anyway.
Making cornbread dressing is very easy, but it's very time consuming.
- 1 Stick of butter
- 1 Yellow onion chopped
- 1 Package celery chopped
- 1 Package green onion chopped
- 1 Package bread crumb stuffing (seasoned wheat & white bread crumb mix)
- 3 Package cornbread prepared
- Ground poultry seasoning
- Ground sage
- Ground black pepper
- 1 -2 Boxes chicken broth
- Melt a stick of butter over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add all the chopped veggies, stirring often until the unions are translucent. Now add your bread crumbs to the pot and prepare according to the directions (I usually replace the water with chicken stock for more flavor).
- Crumble up 1/3 of the cornbread and add to a very large casserole dish. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning, sage, and black pepper. Then stir it to mix in the seasoning. Now add 1/3 of the prepared bread crumb stuffing vegetable mixture and stir. Repeat, adding more crumbled cornbread with seasoning, followed by the stuffing mixture. Now add 1/2 box of chicken broth and stir it all together. Add in the last bit of cornbread and stuffing mixture with a bit more poultry seasoning and sages. Add in the rest of the box of chicken broth and stir. If it is still a bit dry, add more chicken broth and stir. You want the consistency to be mushy because the liquid cooks down when it's baking.
- Taste to see if it needs more seasoning. Once you get it tasting just right, cover at back at 350 degrees for an hour to hour and a half depending on how deep your dish is.
- Serve with ham, turkey, or chicken. Enjoy!
Super Easy Cornbread Dressing Recipe - How to make a very simple cornbread dressing
Dressing or Stuffing?
Is it dressing or stuffing at your house?