How To Make a Leprechaun Trap
How To Catch a Leprechaun This Year!
Have you ever wanted to catch one of those tricky little green guys? Find lots of homemade leprechaun trap ideas here! This is a fun St. Patrick's Day activity for kids and adults alike!
What do you think: Are there really tiny red-bearded Irish elves that make shoes and steal pots of gold?
If you want to know if these little green imps are real or merely stuff of legend, building a trap would be a fabulous way to find out! On this page, you will find many ideas to spark your own imagination and creativity. It is important to never make two leprechaun traps that look the same...they are smart little elves and they will quickly become wise to your plans!
Make It a Family Tradition
See what happens when children attempt to trap a leprechaun on St. Patrick's Day and take his gold!
This is the book that started my yearly tradition of building a homemade leprechaun trap with my own kids!
What is a Leprechaun?
Let's Talk About Leprechauns
Why is everyone so fascinated by them? These mischevious Irish elves have captured the imaginations of young and old for generations. They have become the face of St. Patrick's Day and you will see them everywhere this time of year!
Trivia - 5 Things You Might Not Know
- Leprechauns are nocturnal, meaning that they can hide in the shadows and be extra hard to find!
- They can fix anything! Have you ever had something start working again after it had been broke for awhile? You might have had a secret visit from a little green friend!
- In Ireland, leipreachans (the true Irish name) are despised for all of the mischief they cause. In America, they are cute ornery green elves, but to the Irish, they are nasty little creatures that wreak havoc!
- They are not the only little Irish elves...they have embarrassing cousins called Clurichauns that always drink too much and will ruin your wine cellar if you get on their bad side!
- Leprechauns are lucky! If you are able to befriend one, it is said to bring much luck to you and anyone that lives in your home!
What do they look like?
How will I recognize one?
Typically, a leprechaun is said to be a little old man that wears a green or red coat. They are thought to have beards and wear pointy hats...in fact, I read somewhere that they originally looked and dressed a lot like Santa Claus! There are differing views of their size. In America, it is commonly believed that they are very small, around 3 to 5 inches tall. But in Ireland, it is said that they are the size of a small child.
Tips for Catching a Leprechaun
Patience Is The Key!
After your leprechaun trap is built, hide it in some green foliage outdoors...or even in a big green potted plant if you prefer to stay indoors! The little guy might just miss it and fall right into your trap in his attempt to get the gold!
Stay at a little distance and watch for him to get a little bit of the bait in this hands (see below for ideas for baiting the little guy). He will freeze under the stare of a human, especially if he is caught red-handed (or maybe green-handed in this case?) with the gold, making it easy to grab him!
5 Ideas For Leprechaun Bait
- Catch the greedy little guy with gold coins...or fake it with gold-wrapped chocolate coins! You could even spray beans, pebbles or wooden disks with gold paint to make them look like gold nuggets or coins!
- Leprechauns are known to be attracted to rainbows, so decorate your trap with lots of colorful spectrums!
- Lucky four-leaf clovers with bring them running every time!
- Put out a cup of Lucky Charms cereal...although not a traditional leprechaun bait, you never know when they might get hungry!
- Yourself! They love to pinch unsuspecting humans who aren't wearing green. So dress accordingly and put yourself in place!
Homemade Leprechaun Trap Ideas
You can get really creative with this! Check out some of the many ideas I found on YouTube below!
Leprechaun Traps Link List
Jimmy's Leprechaun Trap
My children were very inspired by this book to come up with different ideas for how to design their trap. They studied it like it was a textbook! Many of the ideas from this book went into the design of their homemade leprechaun trap.
What do you do when you encounter a mischeivous little leprechaun?
Jimmy, the title character, turns to his grandfather who gives him some advice about how to catch the sneaky little imp. Funny consequences ensue in this entertaining tale.
Do they finally catch him? I guess you will have to read the story to find out!
This is a great book to read aloud in your home or classroom.
How To Care For a Leprechaun
The Care and Keeping of Leprechauns
Once you catch one, you have to know how to take care of him!
The first thing you should do is build him a leprechaun house. They aren't too picky about their abodes, but make sure it's comfy and decorate it to his tastes...they love green and appreciate having a rainbow around!
Next, give him some food! Leprechauns like traditional Irish fare like Irish soda bread, hearty Irish stew and maybe a Traditional Irish Breakfast...make some of these things for yourself and then share it with him!
And lastly, keep him busy! Leprechauns are industrious little elves and love to fix things! Give him plenty of little projects around the house and he'll stay happy...and so will you!
Most importantly, don't let him get bored, hungry or uncomfortable...leprechauns can cause a lot of trouble if they are unhappy! But get on their good side, and you might just gain a friend...and the good luck that comes with him...for life!