How to Make a Midnight Margarita!
If you're a fan of the film Practical Magic then you'd no doubt love to make Midnight Margaritas just like the aunts make for Sally and Gilly! You can make these delicious homemade margaritas for a themed party or simply for fun!
Homemade midnight margaritas taste amazing and you don't need any fancy cocktail equipment either - you can whizz it up in a blender just like the aunts do!
Read on for my midnight margaritas recipe (and the aunts' spell for extra authenticity!) along with some recipes for the true midnight margarita - a dark version of the original, which is perfect for spooky parties!
Photo Credit: Margarita via Wikimedia Commons. Image in the public domain.
How to Make Midnight Margaritas
My neighbour and I are both big fans of Practical Magic and one recent full moon we decided to make our own midnight margaritas to accompany our evening of magic!
As you can see we bought a bottle of ready made margarita just in case... but our recipe came out perfect, and although we started on the premixed bottle when our own ran out, it was nowhere near as nice as the real thing made from scratch! Midnight Margaritas are going to be a regular occurrence in our neck of the woods from now on!
The best thing is it's really easy to make! All you need is the appropriate alcohol, salt and fresh limes. Come, let us step up to the cauldron...
Photo Credit: Copyright of the author
Midnight Margarita Video from Practical Magic
Here's the classic scene from Practical Magic, where the aunts whip up some delicious midnight margaritas and dance round the witch's kitchen with Sally and Gilly!
- 6 oz tequila
- 2 oz triple sec (ideally Cointreau)
- 4 oz lime juice (from freshly squeezed limes)
- Ice (optional)
- Salt and 4 lime wedges (garnish)
- 1. Cut a lime into wedges and run one around the rims of your glasses. Dip each rim into salt to coat. Chill in the fridge until needed
- 2. Roll your limes on a kitchen surface (you'll get more juice this way) then cut and squeeze into a container until you have 4oz
- 3. Put the tequila, triple sec or Cointreau and lime juice into a blender (plus ice if you want it extra chilled) and whizz until mixed and slushy!
- 4. Pour into glasses, add a lime wedge to each rim and serve
- Alternatively, you can make your margarita with a sour mix. If you want to do this, you will need to make the sour mix ahead by combining:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Mix until the sugar is complete dissolved, then add:
- 1 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 cup lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- Refrigerate until needed.
- For the 4 margaritas recipe above, you will need to replace the 4oz lime juice with 3oz of sour mix and add a dash of extra lime juice to the blender.
The Midnight Margarita Spell
"Eye of newt, toe of frog, wing of bat, tongue of dog.
Adder's fork and blind worm's sting,
Barbados lime is just the thing.
Fragias salt, like a sailors stubble,
Flip the switch, and let the cauldron bubble!"
- Frances and Bridget Owens, Practical Magic
Practical Magic Quotes
Now Do the Midnight Margaritas Dance!
Put the lime in da coconut...
Of course, once you have chanted your spell, whizzed up your margaritas and clinked your salt-rimmed goblets, it's time to do the dance-around-the-kitchen to the Midnight Margaritas Song... otherwise known as Coconut by Harry Nilsson.
For authentic witchy moves, check out the video above! And of course feel free to improvise, especially if it's Halloween or another magical event. Brooms and hats are optional, but it's much more fun WITH, don't you think?
Photo Credit: Practical Magic Gillian Owens (Nicole Kidman) Photo via Amazon
Serve your Midnight Margaritas in Style
You can serve your margaritas in a traditional cocktail glass, or specifically a margarita glass like one of these gorgeous Libbey Vina glasses. Or go for the big capacity glass like our Practical Magic girls do, with a set of these Rocco Rock Bar tumblers. Or if you want to set the midnight mood, go witch-style with these amazing black midnight goblets from Artland! Wonderful for a witch or Halloween party or event.
Libbey Vina Margarita Glasses, Set of 6VIEW NOW
Bormioli Rocco Rock Bar Glasses, Set of 6VIEW NOW
Artland Midnight Black Goblets, Set of 4VIEW NOW
Do you Want a Midnight Margarita? - Form an orderly queue...
Midnight Margaritas... discuss!
Buy Practical Magic
Practical Magic is one of my all-time favourite movies. As a lover of all things magical I love the witchy element to the film, but this beloved movie has so much to offer all kinds of viewers. It is fun, romantic, magical and one of those films you can watch again and again. I don't have one friend who doesn't LOVE this film!
"Practical Magic is a magical tale where sisters Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman are hexed by a centuries-old curse, and coping with a possible love match (Aidan Quinn) for one, a zombie (Goran Visnjic) for the other and a need to resume the age-old witchcraft taught by two doting aunts (Stockard Channing and Dianne Wiest)." - Amazon Editorial Review
* Download from Amazon Prime Instant Video
* Buy Blu-Ray Version
Make a Real Midnight Margarita
According to the Urban Dictionary, a Midnight Margarita is a dark-coloured variation of the original cocktail. The version they quote uses black wildberry vodka, but there are other versions you can try as well. Find them all below!
- Midnight Margaritas Recipe
This Urban Dictionary version of a dark magarita uses Eristoff Black Wildberry Vodka with Tequila, Triple Sec, Lime Juice and Sweet & Sour. If you want you can top it with a Chambord Float along with the salt and lime wedge for moon-filled, delic
- Midnight Margarita Recipe
This version of a deliciously dark margarita uses rum, blue Curacao, grenadine and a homemade lime mix.
- Practical Magic Blog Party Midnight Margaritas
Here you can find the blue Curacao version as well as a diet strawberry version that incorporates Jimmy Angelo's drink of choice - El Diablo!