- Holidays and Celebrations»
How to make your own Milhouse (from "The Simpsons") costume
How to make a Milhouse costume
Milhouse van Houten is Bart Simpson's best friend on The Simpsons TV show. His nerdy and responsible ways are just the opposite of his buddy Bart's persona.
A Milhouse costume can be put together easily and cheaply and be great fun for Halloween or a costume party. Pair it up with somebody in a Bart costume, or just go it alone. Milhouse can be a star by himself!
"Hey, Bart. I shaved my head like you told me."
- Milhouse -
Dressing like Milhouse
These are the components of Milhouse's appearance:
- Milhouse has blue hair and eyebrows. (A lot of Simpsons characters don't even have eyebrows, but Milhouse has prominent ones.)
- He also has the yellow skin tone that is common to many Simpsons characters.
- He wears red eyeglasses.
- His standard attire is a short-sleeved lavender T-shirt and red shorts.
- He wears red shoes and no socks. His shoes don't appear to have any closures on them (no laces, buckles, or velcro).
"Bart, can we go to Banana Republic? There's a mannequin there I have a crush on."
- Milhouse -
Should you do the body paint?
Many characters on The Simpsons have that yellow skin tone, and Milhouse is one of them. Should you color yourself yellow to do your Milhouse costume?
Honestly, I don't think it's necessary, unless you're going for a ghoulish look for Halloween. The photos that I've seen of people in Simpsons-esque body paint look disturbing to me (here's an example of young man in Canada who painted his face yellow).
If you want to go yellow, go ahead, but I think your real skin tone would be just fine.
VOTE on the body paint question!
If you were going to dress in a Simpsons character costume, would you want to wear yellow body paint?
"How could this have happened? We started out like Romeo and Juliet, but instead it ended in tragedy."
- Milhouse -
Acting like Milhouse
Now that you look like Milhouse, here's how to play the part:
- Milhouse is a nerdy, bookish type, but is often led astray by his best friend, Bart.
- He is often the target of bullying, to the point that he has come to expect it.
- According to various episodes of The Simpsons, Milhouse is part Danish, part Dutch, part Italian, and part Greek.
- He has many allergies.
- He can hardly see anything without his glasses.
- He doesn't do very well with females and has an unrequited crush on Bart's sister, Lisa.
You can learn more about him from his Wikipedia page: Milhouse Van Houten.