- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Unofficial Holidays
Why do I have a moustache?
You may notice that I'm suddenly sprouting a moustache and perhaps it crossed your mind to wonder why.
The moustache is in honour of the Movember Foundation charity.
During the month of November, men choose not to shave in the moustache area.
I can't grow a moustache but, with a little help from facetache, voila, I have a full grown mo!
What do you think, does it suit me?
The month formerly known as November is a moustache growing charity event held during November each year that raises funds and awareness for men's health issues, in particular, prostate cancer and depression..
The Movember Foundation charity has run Movember events in Australia and New Zealand since 2004, and it's a global event now.
Close to 3300 men die of prostate cancer each year in Australia and one in eight men will experience depression in their lifetime.
Movember is an opportunity to draw attention to these issues
The Movember Rules
- On Shadowe'en (October 31st), the complete moustache region, including the entire upper lip and the handlebar zones, must be completely shaved.
- For the entire duration of Movember (Movember 1st - 35th inclusive), no hair shall be allowed to grow in the goatee zone - being any facial area below the bottom lip.
- There is to be no joining of the moustache to sideburns.
- Failure to conform to all of these rules may, at the discretion of the official Movember Committee, result in instant blacklisting and may void invitation to the end of MOnth festivities (this year lip-marked for Movember 35th!)
The Movember Committee accepts no responsibility for lost jobs, rashes, food/beer encrustments or any other such mishaps caused to the wearer (or his partner) of a Movember Moustache. You grew it yourself.
No Mo? No worries!
World Moustache Categories
- Natural – Moustache may be styled without aids.
- Hungarian – Big and bushy, beginning from the middle of the upper lip and pulled to the side. The hairs are allowed to start growing from up to a maximum of 1.5 cm beyond the end of the upper lip.
- Dalí – narrow, long points bent or curved steeply upward; areas past the corner of the mouth must be shaved. Artificial styling aids needed. Named after Salvador Dalí.
- English moustache – narrow, beginning at the middle of the upper lip the whiskers are very long and pulled to the side, slightly curled; the ends are pointed slightly upward; areas past the corner of the mouth usually shaved. Artificial styling may be needed.
- Imperial – whiskers growing from both the upper lip and cheeks, curled upward (distinct from the royale, or imperiale)
- Freestyle – All moustaches that do not match other classes. The hairs are allowed to start growing from up to a maximum of 1.5 cm beyond the end of the upper lip. Aids are allowed.
What style of Moustache would you wear?
Many historical figures are synonymous with a certain type of moustache
Take Fu Manchu for example. He has a specific moustache style named for him, and he didn't even exist!
Then there's the infamous moustache we always associate with Hitler ( even if Charlie Chaplin had it first). Adopting this style is socially unwise.
Movember is Open to All
Anyone can have a Moustache!
My Evening Mo
Ladies, you can have a Mo too
You don't have to be a man to grow a moustache. Why should men have the fun?
If you can't get the bristles to burst out on the upper lip, don't despair, your stubble doesn't have to be real.
Choose a charming evening Mo to match your outfit!
Stand up and be counted
Be a MoBro
Will you be one of the selfless and generous men known as Mo Bros?
You can become a walking, talking billboard for the 30 days of Movember.
Through your growing efforts you'll raise awareness for the often ignored issues of men’s health, by prompting conversations wherever you go.
Sign up to be a MoBro
- Sign up for Movember Worldwide
You can sign up for Movember in 21 countries now.
My Family gets into Movember
P.S. Things can get hairy any month of the year
Movember is followed by Decembeard
The beard must be the most contentious feature of a man's face. It's nothing more than the sign of the adult male, or is it? Like the thick cartilage which surrounds a man's larynx, it appears in puberty and is classified as a secondary sexu...
Get ready for MOvember 2015
So MOvember has gone for this year but you can make sure you're geared up for 2015!
How about you?
Do you Grow a Mo for Movember?
© 2010 Susanna Duffy