National Running Day
June 4, 2014 is National Running Day!
Whether you're a seasoned runner or your sneakers are collecting dust in the closet, you can celebrate National Running Day!
Running is great exercise, a good way to relieve stress and can be fun to do with a friend.
Below are a few tips on how to get started, and also some suggestions on how to amp your running experience with some great gear!
Flickr Photo Credit: lululemon athletica
Of course, all you need to run are your feet! You can step out at any time and just run!
But if you're new to running, there are a few things to keep in mind.
1. Have Something to Eat You want to make sure you have enough fuel in your body to run! About an hour before running eat something high in carbohydrates that digests easily and provides quick energy for the run. Some ideas are organic fruit, cereals, bagel with jam or fruit smoothies.
2. Dress Comfortable. Wear clothes that are comfortable and light. Don't dress too warm. Once you start running your body heat will make it feel 15 to 20 degrees warmer than it is. For serious runners, you may want to invest in some technical running clothes that are made from synthetic fabrics such as CoolMax or Dri-Fit. Unlike cotton clothing, these fabrics wick moisture away from your skin.
3. Warm Up. It's not good to stretch cold muscles, so don't start out with stretching, but warm up by walking briskly for about 10 minutes to warm up your muscles.
4. Try the Run-Walk Method. If running a long distance seem more like torture than fun, then alternate walking with running! For example, walk for 7 minutes and run for one, then go back to walking. This is a great way to build up stamina. When the one minute run gets easy, you can increase the run time to 2 minutes and so on.
5. Stay Hydrated. Before running, make sure you drink plenty of water so that your body stays hydrated during the run. As a rule of thumb, you should take in 4 to 6 ounces of fluid every 20 minutes during your runs.
If you're serious about your running, then it's best to pick up a good pair of running shoes.
You'll want to go to a specialty shoe store to find the shoe that's best for you. Factors such as your weight, the surface you run on the shape of your feet need to be considered when picking the right running shoe.
Do you run?
National Running Day
If you have an iphone or Android device, you can get hi-tech with your running!
There are a variety of aps out there that track workouts, map routes, monitor performance and help you stick to a training routine.
You can also track a map online at RunningMap.com
Nike also has an online application to keep track of your runs and even post them to Facebook so your friends and family can cheer you on! NikeRunning.com
A Watch that does it all! - GPS, Heart Rate Monitor and more!
Start or Join a Running Group
For many of us, running might not come easy. We could use the excuse we don't have time or it's too boring.
Starting a running group might be the boost you need to get moving.
It could be just one friend or a few neighbors. Counting on each other and sharing tips will make the workouts fun and the time pass by quickly. Try out new routes together. Running with a friend is also safer.
Check with your local community ed, there may be a running group in your area!
Benefits of Running
Why run? Here are just a few reasons:
* To Stay in Shape
* Maintain Healthy Muscles and Bones
* Prevent Heart Disease
* Eliminate Depression
* Fight Insomnia