Celebrate The Caramel Apple!
Yes, October 31st is National Caramel Apple Day!
Autumn is the best time to find apples to dip in luscious golden caramel!. October 31st is National Caramel Apple Day in the US, or if you cannot wait, some "food calendars" have Caramel Apple Day as October 21st!
Actually, the food holiday police would not arrest you if you choose to celebrate on BOTH days!
- Might I suggest the Mini Caramel Apple Tutorial (that is a link-scroll over it and right click to go there) as a fun activity. You will need Granny Smith apples, a melon baller, lemon juice, mini cupcake papers, bamboo skewers, crushed nuts, and purchased caramel apple dip.
There are three more "caramel apple" recipes on this page.
- The first is for the easiest caramel apple; next is one for Goolish caramel apples;
- the best I saved for last--"Caramel Apple Newton Crisp".
[Image of the mini caramel apples:Sakurako Kista on Flickr with Creative Commons Search]
- The Best and Easiest Caramel Apples Recipe (from: Recipezaar)
This recipe got lots of top ratings! Ingredients * 1 cup butter (no substitutes) * 2 cups packed brown sugar * 1 cup light corn syrup * 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk * 2 teaspoons vanilla * 8-10 wooden sticks * 8-10 medium tart apples
- 10 to Try: Caramel Apples
Creative toppings put a sweet spin on this juicy fall fruit. Start with a basic caramel apple then sprinkle on one of the irresistible combinations like crunched toffee candy bars. Source: bhg.com via Mickie on Pinterest
How do you enjoy eating a caramel apple?
I will never forget the first caramel apple from which I took a bite. I was in 4th grade and I had just gotten a temporary cap on my front tooth (I had knocked it in half the previous summer). Do I need to tell you what happened? I can tell you one thing, it was not the first time that that cap came off! That being said, I choose the second method of eating an apple -- covered in caramel or not!
You can make a comment after you choose your side!
Hold the stick and open your mouth wide to take a bite of the juicy apple.
Goo-lish Caramel Apple Slices Recipe:
A KID FRIENDLY RECIPE!
1. Put unwrapped caramels and the water in a medium saucepan. Cook until caramels are melted and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
2. Arrange apple slices on a pizza plate or pan. Use a spoon to drizzle caramel mixture over apples.
3. Put chocolate pieces and shortening in small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture is melted and smooth, stirring constantly. Use another spoon to drizzle the chocolate mixture over the caramel-covered apples. Sprinkle with nut topping. Let stand at room temperature for up to 10 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
"Culinary Cafe" (a website that no longer exhists) is the source for this recipe.
Kraft Caramels - The original!
So who cares if you have to unwrap the candies? I absolutely become addicted to these original Kraft Caramels if they are even in the house. Most of the candy ends up NOT on an apple. I have purchased other brands of caramels, and have found that the quality and creaminess of these Kraft candies are superior.
Caramel Apple Newton Crisp Recipe:
2 medium baking apples, sliced (about 2 cups)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
8 KRAFT Caramels, flattened
8 Caramel Apple NEWTONS Snackable Dessert Cookies, cut diagonally in half
PREHEAT oven to 350F. Spray 4 ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray. Toss apple slices with lemon juice and cinnamon. Spoon evenly into prepared ramekins.
TOP evenly with caramels and cookies.
BAKE 25 min. or until apples are tender. Cool slightly.
Calories 230 per serving (4)
Nabisco World is the source for this recipe.
A few pages about why and when we celebrate the caramel apple:
- Caramel Candied Apples
"Lemme just talk to you for a second about something that I think is good for America: caramel apples,... I had one last night. Delicious.' - Stephen Colbert, host of The Colbert ReportCoated with caramel or candied, an Apple-On-A-Stick is a favorite
- Apple Holidays: Which Apple Day Will You Celebrate?
"Did you know that there are almost a dozen day-long apple holidays scattered throughout the year? There is also a National Apple Week and to top it off, National Apple Month actually spans September, October and November! If you're an apple lover .