- Holidays and Celebrations
OHTO Tasche - The Ultimate Portable Fountain Pen!
Carry a Stylish Pen on the go for Less than $20!
Among the several fountain pens in my pen collection, the OHTO Tasche fountain pen is the one I carry around with me the most often. No other fountain pens, even the most expensive ones, compare to the extreme portability and reliability that this one offers. On this page I will show you why this pen makes such an excellent travel companion. If you are tired of using the same old ball point pen and are looking for something a bit unusual and stylish, or if you are looking for an inexpensive gift that doesn't look cheap, the OHTO Tasche might be just the thing for you!
A Few Facts about the OHTO Tasche
Specs (from the official site):
Length: 98.8mm (capped), 144.8mm (extended)
Material: aluminium (body), brass (ring)
Refill: Cartridge ink
Available colors: black, silver, blue, pink
Made in Japan
Nib: Steel, with an iridium point
So What's so Cool about this Pen?
If you'll take a look at the four pens here shown capped and posted, you'll notice that the Tasche (blue pen, fourth from the top) is the smallest of the lot. Its ingenious design allows it to shrink to less than 4 inches long when capped. However, when uncapped and posted, it transforms into a full-sized fountain pen. How cool is that?
Here are some features that I love about this pen (other than its portability).
- Its solid build. The pen is made of aluminium and feels solid and sturdy when you hold it.
- Its affordable price. To be honest, I'm afraid to carry most of my fountain pens for fear of losing or damaging them somewhere. The Tasche is different: with a price tag of less than $20, I can take it anywhere knowing that if I should lose or break it, I can easily have it replaced for a few bucks.
- Its steel nib tipped with iridium, labeled "IRIDIUM POINT GERMANY". For a pen of this price, this high quality nib seems like a bonus!
- It has never leaked. Fountain pen owners know all too well about the annoying tendency of their pens to leak. I don't know about others, but my Tasche has never leaked any ink. It's quite reliable!
- Its design. No other fountain pens look like this one! It's stylish, and makes you look good when you whip it out from your pocket to scribble something down.
- A wide variety of compatible cartridges. No other fountain pens look like this one! It's stylish, and makes you look good when you whip it out from your pocket to scribble something down.
More Photos!Click thumbnail to view full-size
OHTO Tasche is compatible with all international standard short cartridges, meaning that there are LOTS of colors to choose from! You can even have multiple pens and fill them each with different colors. So much fun!
A Video Review of OHTO Tasche FF-10T
OHTO Tasche on Amazon
These pens are very reasonably priced and are built to last. They aren't the classiest of pens, but unique and unusual enough to make them a good gift to give to a special someone for any occasion.
- Review on the Fountain Pen Network website
This reviewer seems to be quite satisfied with their Tasche.
A great shop for buying Japanese pens in the US.
- Cult Pens
Another cool pen shop that carries a wide range of pens from Japan.
- OHTO Japan
Official site of the pen maker
- Stuff Geeks Want
Another pen connoisseur who appears to be happy with their Tasche!
Other Neat Pens from OHTO Japan
Take a look at these other cool fountain pens, ballpoint pens and mechanical pencils designed and manufactured by OHTO Japan.
Would you buy an affordable fountain pen as a gift for yourself or for others? Let me know what you think!