Pi Day Pie Recipe 3.14...
Everyone loves pie...and everybody loves Pi!
Have some pie for National Pi Day - or any day for that matter!
This is an easy, kid friendly delicious apple and blueberry pie recipe I have developed myself. Enjoy!
One of the things that made making this pie so easy were the Pillsbury crusts. I wanted to make homemade crust bu tI ran out of time, so I used the Pillsbury pre-made crusts. Frankly I didn't think pre-made crust would be very good. But it was flavorful, flaky, and light! I highly recommend it for pie novices, and for speedy pie making.
All photos by RedHairedRockHead
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: Approx. 3.14
Apple Blueberry Pi Day Pie Recipe
- One box Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
Making the Pi on the Pie - azI just found a Pi symbol online that I liked, and freehanded. If I can do it, you can!
I can't wait to make more pies with Pillsbury Refrigerated Crusts, I wish I had known it was so easy. This book has so many recipes designed especially for Pillsbury Refrigerated Crusts, and I now have it on my Amazon Wishlist...I hope someone gets it for me!
- 1. Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest.
- 2. Press one of the ready-to-use Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts into the bottom and sides of the pie plate firmly. Scramble egg and use 1/2 to glaze crust.
- 3. Drizzle apples with lemon juice and vanilla, then combine with dry ingredients mixture from above. Layer 1/2 apple filling into pie crust, pour in blueberries, then add the rest of the apples. Dot with butter or coconut oil.
- 4. Place other Pillsbury Refrigerated Crust onto a plate, and use a sharp knife to cut a Pi symbol. Moisten rim of bottom crust, place top crust over pie, and fold edge under bottom crust, pressing to seal. Flute edge. Brush with remaining scrambled egg.
- 5. Bake at 450 degrees F (230 C) for 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees F (175 C) and bake for 40 more minutes. Cool two hours, then EAT!
The right tool for the right job!
This lemon zester has come in handy for many recipes, and has stayed sharp through many uses and washes. Lemon, lime, and orange zest is an important part of many recipes and juice cannot be substituted - so get a zester!
What do you get if you divide the circumference of a Jack 'o lantern by it's diameter? Pumpkin Pi.
- John Evans
This is a great peeler (for both apples and potatoes), and kids love operating it. I like it because it's easy to clean and it's a very inexpensive gadget!
You can make a Pi Day pie with any pie recipe.
Sweet pie or savory pie? Vote and tell us the Pi Day pie you would make.