Pick Strawberries Day
Go Strawberry Picking On Pick Strawberries Day ~ May 20th
Celebrate May 20th, it's Strawberry Picking Day! Pick Strawberries Day is a wonderful time to introduce your children to the joy of picking strawberries. And then you can eat strawberries, bake strawberries and make strawberry recipes. If you haven't ever gone strawberry picking yourself, then get going! There's nothing like a big, red, sweet strawberry right off the plant to make your mouth water. If you like strawberries, this is a great way to spend a fun day with your family!
Spring and strawberries go together perfectly. The strawberry is the first fruit to ripen in the spring and I am a big fan of the wonderful desserts you can make with them. Come and enjoy our recipes for no bake strawberry shortcake, our easy recipes for chocolate covered strawberries, the strawberry smoothie recipe, the fun strawberry facts, or learn how to make a Strawberry Shortcake birthday cake using cake toppers or edible images as decorations. Take the strawberry facts quiz, find out how to grow strawberry plants or get some cute Strawberry Shortcake party supplies.
This page is everything strawberries in honor of Picking Strawberries Day!
History Of Picking Strawberry Day
In this one golden moment of precious life - pick the strawberries!
National Pick Strawberries Day is May 20th and even though the history of National Pick Strawberries Day is relatively unknown, the strawberry itself has a rich history. It was known way back in Early Roman times for its medicinal uses and today over 27 different varieties are cultivated and enjoyed world wide.
Celebrating National Pick Strawberries Day is simple, just find a local farm, bring a container and pick all you want! You might prefer to make a strawberry shortcake from scratch, or enjoy a simple dessert of strawberries and whipped cream! It would be no stretch of the imagination to use this delicious red fruit to prepare an entire meal featuring strawberries!
What To Do With The Strawberries You Pick
Get Some Delicious Strawberry Recipe Ideas
There's a lot you can do with juicy, ripe, red, fresh strawberries and whether you just picked them or you buy them in your local store, they are going to help you create some wonderful desserts.
One super easy strawberry dessert recipe is the strawberry parfait. It's simple to make a mixed strawberry parfait using strawberries, blueberries, ice cream and whipped cream.
Just layer a parfait glass with ice cream, berries and whipped cream...then do it again, and again, for a delicious and easy strawberry dessert! This is the kind of dish you can add almost anything you like to...bananas, granola, shredded wheat, cake...whatever sounds good to you. Go ahead and experiment with all your favorite foods when you make your next parfait.
I don't bake my shortcakes, I buy them from Hostess. They have these cute little dessert shells all ready and waiting to be filled with fresh cut strawberries and whipped cream.
- 1 Pack Hostess Shortcake Dessert Shells
- 1 Cup Of Fresh Cut Up Strawberries (add more if you like)
- Whipped Cream To Taste
- Set your dessert shell on a plate. Some people like to cut it in half length wise...others, like me, just sit the little Shortcake bowl on a plate, pour some strawberries in, add whip cream, add more strawberries and then more whipped cream. Keep going until you are satisfied with your results.
The No Bake Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients Can Be Found Here - No Cook Strawberry Shortcake Helpers
Here are some of the things you will need to create the no bake delicious Strawberry Shortcake that's detailed up above!
Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
All you need to make a delicious smoothie is some yogurt, ice cream or milk, some fruit...in this case, strawberries...and some ice cubes. Some people like sugar, I don't need it since the fruit is usually sweet enough.
- 6 Ounces Of Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Strawberries
- 2 Ice Cubes
- 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Of Sugar (OPTIONAL)
- Crush your ice in your smoothie maker or blender. Add your strawberries and yogurt and mix until it's nice and smooth...there's your delish, cold strawberry smoothie. You can add a bit of sugar if you like, but when you use fresh, sweet strawberries you may not have to. You can also replace the yogurt with ice cream or milk...or something exotic like coconut milk. Yum! Pour into a tall glass, get a straw, and you are ready to go.
Recipe For Chocolate Dipped Strawberries - Chocolate Covered Strawberries Recipe
The recipe for chocolate dipped strawberries is very simple. It's really very easy to make some chocolate covered strawberries for yourself or your dinner party guests in just a few minutes. You can use any kind of chocolate you like, I prefer milk chocolate. You can also decorate your chocolate covered strawberries with jimmies or coconut if you wish.
Some supplies you will need are: A Cookie SheetWax PaperMicrowave Safe DishA Wooden SpoonToothpicks
- 12 Strawberries...Pick Nice
- Red Juicy Ones With Green Leaves And Stems
- 12 Ounces Of Chocolate Or Morsels - Milk Chocolate Or Semi-Sweet
- Shredded Coconut Or Jimmies To Decorate Your Chocolate Dipped Strawberries (Optional)
- First you need to go to your local grocery store and buy 12 large strawberries with green stems, or if you enjoy gardening, you can grow your own strawberries. While you are at the store pick up 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate or morsels or a 10 ounce bar of dark chocolate. If you like you can add coconut flakes or sprinkles to your dipped berries.
- Cover the cookie sheet with wax paper. Put the chocolate into your microwave safe dish and melt it in your microwave..you will only need a few seconds. Insert the toothpicks into your strawberries and dip them in the melted chocolate. Hold the berry until the chocolate stops dripping with chocolate and then lay it down on the wax paper. This is when you can add your sprinkles of coconuts or jimmies, if you like. Leave the dipped berries in the refrigerator for about 8 hours before you eat them. They will last for a couple of hours at room temperature before they start to melt so make sure you eat them within 2 hours of serving. I told you it was easy to make this chocolate covered strawberry recipe!
Strawberry Jam - Basic Strawberry Jam Recipe
With summer coming, we all love picking those fresh strawberries and eating them up, but those fresh strawberries also make a satisfying tasty strawberry jam as well.
- 6 Cups Fresh Sliced Strawberries
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 3 Cups Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- To make a basic strawberry jam all you need to do is take 6 cups of freshly sliced strawberries and toss them into a pan with a 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 3 cups of sugar.
- Then all you do is place the stove on simmer and allow the strawberries to cook down into the lemon juice and sugar for about 30 minutes, or until they release their juice and become slightly mushy.
- After, simply sprinkle in a 1/4 cup of cornstarch or flour carefully into the strawberry mush in small amounts at a time while stirring the jam continually until it begins to thicken up to the consistency you desire it to be.
- Once the jam is done, allow it to cool and than pour it into a jar and store it away in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it up, or if you desire eat it up warm on some toast or freshly baked muffins for a tasty strawberry treat.
- Once you have tried this homemade strawberry jam recipe and realize it is simple to make, you will no longer want store bought jam any longer on our toast or muffins.
Simple Strawberry Pound Cake Recipe
One of the tastiest desserts to have in the summertime is strawberry pound cake. Strawberry pound cakes are simple to make and taste amazing with fresh whipped cream on top of it or some vanilla ice cream.
- 1 Cup Melted Butter
- 2 Cups White Sugar
- 4 Extra Large Brown Eggs
- 2 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 Cups Chopped Strawberries
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- To make a basic strawberry pound cake you will need a cup of melted butter, 2 cups of white sugar, 4 extra large brown eggs, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 Â¼ cups of flour, a half cup of sour cream and 1 Â½ cups of finely chopped fresh strawberries.
- Once you have all the ingredients toss them into a mixing bowl and beat for a minute, or until mixture is combined. Do not over beat this recipe or you will have airy cake instead of a dense pound cake. Next, butter a pound cake pan, pour the pound cake batter into it and bake the pound cake at 350 degrees for about one hour, or until the pound cake is baked all the way through with a golden brown color on top.
- When the pound cake is done baking, allow it to cool for several minutes before slicing into it and serving it up with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. You may add a few slices of fresh strawberries on top of the pound cake as well to add some more strawberry tastiness if you would like. After, eat up and enjoy for a yummy summertime strawberry treat.
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce Recipe - Strawberries And Rhubarbs Are Perfect Together
Strawberry Rhubarb recipes have gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to sauces and pies, but this combination is delicious if cooked right with the right ingredients. With a little fresh or frozen strawberry, frozen rhubarb and a few sweet additives, you can have a delicious sauce, pie filling or side meal.
- 4 Cups Fresh Or Frozen Rhubarb ~ Sliced
- 10 Ounces Of Frozen Strawberries ~ Thawed Or 2 Cups Fresh
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Tapioca
- 1/2 Cup Water
- This recipe can be heated in a microwave safe dish or on the stove top; for the microwave just add the fruit, water and tapioca in a bowl on high for about 3-4 minutes, stir add the rhubarb and cook for a few minutes more until the rhubarb is tender, add sugar and let sit and cool. The stove top version is similar, just add the fruit, water etc. Into a medium sized pot, let it come to a boil, add rhubarb, cover and simmer for about 5-7 minutes until rhubarb is tender.
- Extra: you can also use cornstarch and a small amount of water and orange juice if you like to the mixture instead of the tapioca. Enjoy and happy eating.
Other Strawberry Holidays
Strawberry Holidays All Year Round
It's not just Pick Strawberries Day on May 20th you know, there are many days put aside in honor of the delicious strawberry. Here's a list of the holidays that involve strawberries, if I missed any let me know!
May is National Strawberry Month
May 20th is Pick Strawberries Day
May 21th is National Strawberries & Cream Day
June 9th is National Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Day
June 14th is National Strawberry Shortcake Day
June 25th is National Strawberry Parfait Day
July 7th is National Strawberry Sundae Day
Sept. 28th is National Strawberry Cream Pie Day
Jan. 15th is National Strawberry Ice Cream Day
Feb. 27th is National Strawberry Day
Get Strawberry Plants - Want To Grow Your Own Strawberries?
Have you gotten any gardening urges after reading my Pick Strawberries Day lens? If you want to get some strawberry plants and grow your own strawberries, here's some helpful ideas you can use. You will find actual strawberry plants, a stack a pot strawberry planter and a Topsy Turvy strawberry upside down planter, strawberry seeds and more right here.
Strawberry Recipes - Get Strawberry Recipes From These Recipe Books
Feel like cooking up something sweet and full of strawberries? Find all the strawberry recipes you want with these specialized cookbooks and the recipes you will find in them.
Do you love to eat strawberries and recipes that include strawberries? Do you go and pick your own strawberries? Leave us a note and let us know what your favorite recipe or picking spot is!