- Holidays and Celebrations»
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Recipes for delicious pumpkin whoopie pies for Halloween
Halloween is a time for treats and sweets.Our family enjoys making our own and one of our favorites is a pumpkin whoopie pie. I personally love the inner creamy filling but the outside cake is delicious too.
Who doesn't love a whoopie pie? Growing up in Ohio, in the middle of Amish country, we also had another name for them that's not as fun sounding as whoopie pies, but they were just as tasty. We called them gobs. Whatever you choose to call them, most people call them delicious. There are many different designs and flavors but these for Halloween will be a big hit for a party or for afternoon snacks when the kids come home from school. They can even enjoy helping to make them.
Moist, soft, cake-like cookies surrounding tasty whipped creaminess. Delightful! You can make a myriad of flavors when you make a whoopie pie, from chocolate to red velvet and my personal favorite, pumpkin. If you have access to pie pumpkins or sugar pumpkins, take the time to cook the pulp and use fresh pumpkin. The taste is out of this world. It's really easy and doesn't take much time and it's so worth it.(Really, you'll thank me later).
This dessert is perfect to take for a harvest or Halloween party or festival. I make them each year for a festival and just individually wrapping them and tying the bag with harvest colored raffia. They sell like crazy. The kids love them especially the crazier they are decorated. Mom and dad can't resist them either. I love making them and selling them for our festival. You can create them with various colors from orange to brown and use them as part of your table decorations.
If you like to experiment with your filling, consider trying a cream cheese frosting or adding a few drops of caramel or maple flavor to the filling for some pumped up flavor! You really cannot go wrong with these easy to make treats.
Photo credit: Flickr By kristin_a (Meringue Bake Shop)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups solid pack pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 egg white - for filling
- 2 tablespoons milk - for filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - for filling
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar - for filling
- 3/4 cup shortening - for filling
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- 2. Combine the oil and brown sugar. Mix in the pumpkin and eggs, beating well. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Mix well.
- 3. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with Whoopie Pie Filling.
- 4. To Make Whoopie Pie Filling: Beat egg white and mix with the milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar. Mix well then beat in the shortening and the remaining cup of confectioners' sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
Whoopie Pie Pans
Yummy Pumpkin Whoopie Pie
Photo credit: Chris Morris
Kitchen Aid Artisan Mixer
This is our mixer. We have this exact model and use it for preparing all our baking like Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. It is fast and strong and has no trouble in mixing whatever ingredients you throw in it.
My wife has said that it is a workhorse and that she really enjoys the attachments. She can use it as a meat grinder, pasta maker, make bread and even make ice cream. They come in a lot of different colors and looks great on the kitchen counter. We have the red model and we like the way it looks in our kitchen. It just has a classic but modern look.
How to Prepare Fresh Pumpkin for Recipes
This video talks about how to prepare fresh pumpkin for your recipes. If you need a step by step video to go with the instructions above then this will help.This is what you will want to do in preparing your pumpkin whoopie pies. Take advantage of the low prices of the in-season pumkins and freeze the pumpkin pulp to use in your baking and cooking as well. This is what I do for all my cooking. It has more flavor and you know where it comes from. Highly recommended.