- Holidays and Celebrations
Curses & Superstitions
Scary Curses and Superstitions
Curse > noun 1. an appeal to a supernatural power to inflict harm on someone or something. 2. a cause of harm or misery.
Superstition > noun 1. a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
"On Hallowe'en the thing you must do
Is pretend that nothing can frighten you
And if somethin' scares you and you want to run
Just let on like it's Hallowe'en fun."
~ Author Unknown
The Curse of The Evil Eye
The Evil Eye is one of the oldest, worldwide superstitions, dating back over 5,000 years, even before civilizations such as the Egyptians and the Mesopotamians.
It was widely believed by the Ancients that certain evil or spiteful people could cause sickness and death merely by casting their Eye on another person.
Symptoms of The "Evil Eye" Curse:
1. Headache and neck pain and heavy eyelids.
2. An acute nagging fear or sense of dread: everything seems to go wrong.
3. Stomach pains with dizziness and nausea.
Throughout the years, many have called the Evil Eye a foolish superstition. However, it continues to influence many people around the world even today.
Protection from The Evil Eye
The Curse of The Black Cat
Black cats have long been believed to be a supernatural omen. Since the witch hunts of the middle ages, cats were thought to be associated with an independent spirit, female sexuality, creativity, and power; as such they represented misfortune and bad luck and were connected to evil. Since then, it is considered bad luck if a black cat crosses your path.
- Cats also can indicate that someone is being deceitful or treacherous.
- In Dreams; Attacking Cats- Represent one's enemies; if the dreamer succeeds in dispelling them, he will overcome great obstacles and earn fortune and fame.
- A Cat with No Tail- Signifies a loss of free will.
- A White Cat- Denotes difficult times ahead.
Ironically, a black cat walking towards you is considered lucky, while one walking away is said to be stealing your luck.
Sources: Originsnetwork.net, Katharine Kurtz, Tales of the Knights Templar, Warner Books, 1995. http://www.trivialibrary.com/a/origin-of-common-su...
Halloween Black Cat
Halloween Musical Magic Black Cat. Dressed in a spidery witch's cape, this music-loving feline, complete with a glowing jack-o'-lantern, moves in time to the popular song, "Black Magic Woman." Head moves back & forth. Tail moves. Eyes flash. Pumpkin lights up.
The Curse of The Full Moon
The moon cycles from the darkest point, known as a new moon, to a bright round full moon approximately every 30 days. According to ancient superstitions during the full moon...
- Witches ride during the Full Moon.
- A werewolf shape-shifts into a wolf, with the appearance of the full moon
- Women who stare at the full moon, or lay in the moonlight, will become pregnant and give birth to a monster.
- It was also thought that to sleep in direct moonlight caused madness or blindness. In time, the word, Lunatic, from "luna", meaning moon, and "tic", meaning struck, evolved from this belief.
New Moon Astrology
As the title suggests, the information found in this inspirational and down-to-earth book shows the everyday person how to make the most of each of the 12 New Moon placements.
The Curse of The Owl
The Owl is synonymous with death and darkness. If an Owl looks in your window or if you see one in the daylight, bad luck and death awaits you.
- The Hoot of an Owl, denotes disappointments and forewarns that death or deceit creeps closely in the wake of joy and health.
- The Owl, since it hides in darkness and fears the light, has come to symbolize the "Prince of Darkness", otherwise known as Satan. As Satan leads humans to evil, so the Owl is said to ensnare other birds, into the traps set by hunters.
Wise and adorable plush Owl sits on a unique treetop lamp
Inquiring Minds Want to Know
Have you ever felt like you've been cursed?
Breaking The Curse
No matter what your ailment is--financial, familial, physical--you may be unknowingly living under a curse. Here is how to determine if you're under a curse and, if so, how to break that curse.