- Holidays and Celebrations»
Scooby-Doo Halloween Costumes
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? - Saturday Morning Mystery Cartoon Series
Created by Joe Ruby and Ken Spears for Hanna-Barbera Productions, Scooby-Do, Where Are You! premiered during Saturday morning cartoons in September 1969. The show centered around a group of teenagers who solve mysteries, usually with a supernatural element, that once uncovered is found to be a hoax. The eponymous Scooby-Doo is the group's mascot, a talking Great Dane.
The original series ran from 1969-1973. One hour episodes, produced under The New Scooby-Doo Movies, were created in 1972 and usually featured a famous guest star (real or fictitious characters) who helped the gang with the mystery of he week.
Over the years, from 1976 to 1991, Scooby and the gang appeared on The Scooby-Doo Show, Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo, The All-New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show/The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries, The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.
In 2002, a full length, live-action movie was released in theaters. This was followed by a revival of the cartoon series that aired on the Kids WB entitled What's New, Scooby-Doo?. This was followed by Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!, which aired through 2008.
In 2010, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated began to air on the Cartoon Network. The series has also spawned three more live-action films, eighteen direct-to-video cartoon films, seventeen video games on multiple platforms, and three stage plays.
This Great Dane loves to eat but is scared of everything. Even his own shadow! As the mascot of the Mystery Inc. gang, he's got a nose for trouble. His best friend is Shaggy, who loves to eat just as much as Scooby-Doo does. Especially Scooby snacks!
- Scooby-Doo is seven years old.
- Scooby's full name is Scoobert Doo.
- Scooby-Doo has opposable thumbs and is able to use his front paws like human hands. His tail is also prehensile.
- Scooby is the only member of the Mystery Inc. gang to appear in every incarnation of the series, meaning he's been on television for over forty years!
Scooby isn't your typical Great Dane. Medium brown in color, he has distinctive black spots on his upper body. He wears a yellow, diamond shaped tag on his blue collar with his initials printed on it.
Frederick "Fred" Jones
"Let's split up, gang..."
The natural-born leader of the Mystery Inc. gang, good-looking Fred keeps the gang together solving mysteries! He acts as big brother to the girls and Shaggy, inspiring them with his confidence. Fred's ability to plot elaborate traps to catch the bad guys is his only major downfall, since they regularly don't work!
- Fred is entirely oblivious to Daphne's romantic interest in him.
- He loves to set Rube Goldberg-esque traps for villains.
- Fred is interested in wrestling, weightlifting, and the martial arts.
- Fred was portrayed by actor Freddie Prinze, Jr. in the first two live-action films.
Fred is typically seen in a white sweater paired with blue jeans. He tops it off with a size 16 1/2 orange ascot and brown shoes.
Daphne Anne Blake
A beautiful redhead that comes from a wealthy background, Daphne loves the mysteries of the unknown. Very much the cheerleader of the group, she tends to plunge headfirst into the cases the Mystery Inc. gang get involved in. This usually lands her in need of a quick rescue!
- Daphne's dad paid for the Mystery Machine van.
- Her nickname is "Danger-Prone Daphne".
- In addition to being a fashionista, Daphne has also been a journalist.
- Daphne was portrayed by actress Sarah Michelle Gellar in the first two live-action films.
Daphne wears a purple dress, paired with pink pantyhose and purple shoes. She accessorizes with a green scarf and purple headband.
Velma Elizabeth Dinkley
The brains behind Mystery Inc., Velma is usually the member who's able to decipher clues the fastest. Although she gets separated from the gang quite regularly, it's usually because she's hot on the trail of the villain!
- Velma is severely nearsighted.
- To get Scooby to volunteer, she typically bribes him with a Scooby Snack.
- Velma's parents own the Crystal Cove Mystery Museum.
- Velma was portrayed by actress Linda Cardellini in the first two live-action films.
Velma is typically dressed in an pumpkin orange cowl-neck sweater, with a maroon colored pleated skirt. She matches this with orange knee socks and maroon Mary Janes. She is never without her black horn-rimmed glasses.
Norville "Shaggy" Rogers
Funky and far out, Shaggy is Scooby-Doo's best friend. His typical aversion to danger usually results in hilariousness. He loves to eat, as he always has the munchies.
- Shaggy is a vegetarian.
- His father is a police officer.
- Shaggy's style has had him be compared to a hippie or beatnik.
- Shaggy was portrayed by actor Matthew Lillard in the first two live-action films.
Shaggy wears a very over-sized green v-neck t-shirt, over brown bell-bottom pants. His hair, which is long, is where he gets his nickname. He tops off his outfit with black boots.