Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe
Best Soft Sugar Cookies for Christmas!
Sugar cookies are one of my favorite Christmas cookies. There are hundreds of recipes for Christmas sugar cookies but I have found that simple sugar cookie recipes are not only quick and easy, but delicious!
Depending on the recipe, your sugar cookies may turn out soft and chewy, or hard and crispy. This simple sugar cookie recipe is for velvety soft sugar cookies that are delicious and can be decorated for Christmas and other holidays or left plain. Either way, they are simple and delicious.
Creative Commons Image by Julep67 on Flickr.
- 2 1/3 Cups All Purpose Flower
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 1. Combine sugar and butter in a mixing bowl and beat on low speed in the mixture is light and fluffy.
- 2. Next, mix in the vanilla and egg.
- 3. Then add the baking soda and flour and stir until the mixture is blended evenly.
- 4. Shape about 1 teaspoon of dough into round balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Do not make your dough balls too big as these sugar cookies spread pretty wide.
- 5. Once you have filled the cookie sheet with dough balls, use the bottom of a glass or other round object, to flatten the cookies. Simply dip the bottom of the glass into sugar and press down lightly to flatten the dough slightly. Do not flatten them all the way out. Just enough to give them a round shape. You can use regular granulated sugar, sugar crystals or colored sugar.
- 6. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes depending on your oven. Do not over bake! These will become hard and crunchy. Take them out as soon as the edges are golden brown. Allow them to cook for about 1 minute and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- After cookies are cooled they are ready to serve or decorate with icing.
Simple Sugar Cookies Using Cookie Cutters
If you want to make these simple sugar cookies using cookie cutters then there are a few extra steps on the preperation.
1. Follow the recipe above to make your sugar cookie dough then cover and refridgerate for 2 hours. You can leave longer if needed.
2. After dough has been chilled for at least 2 hours remove from the refridgerator and lightly flour your work surface. Roll out dough until it is 1/4 inch thick. Make sure the entire surface is lightly floured. If you see that your dough is going to exceed the floured area simply sprinkle more flour around the edges.
3. Use your favorite cookie cutter shapes to cut out cookies and place on ungreased cookie sheet as directed in the recipe. Bake 7-8 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Depending on the size of the cookies you may need to remove them a minute or two sooner so keep an eye on them. Once they are ready, remove and cool 1-2 minutes and move to a wire rack.
Creative Commons Image by stevendepolo on Flickr
Sugar Cookie Decorating Supplies
Tips for Easy Clean Up and Baking
Easy Sugar Cookies with Easy Clean Up!
To save on time and clean, line your pan with a sheet of parchement paper before adding the cookies. You can then move the entire sheet of parchment paper to the wire rack for cooling.
Another good idea is to set out 2-3 sheets of parchments paper the same size as your pan. As you are making your cookies lay them on the parchment paper 2 inches apart. As each batch of cookies come out of the oven, simply move the parchment paper to the wire rack and add the next batch and pop them right into the oven. This cuts down on prep time when you are baking several batches.
Creative Commons Image by SarahInDisguise on Flickr.
Do you like sugar cookies? Share your thoughts, tips, ideas and favorite sugar cookie recipes with us.