- Holidays and Celebrations
Space Birthday Party
If you have decided that you are going to choose a theme party for your child's birthday party, you should choose a theme that suits your child's interest. Don't worry if other children have already had similar parties, it is quite likely that the same themes tend to appear time after time.
One of the most popular theme for children between the age of 6 - 8 is a space birthday party and it is easy to prepare. Here are some ideas that might be of help.
Space Birthday Party Invitation
You can make your own invitations in the shape of a star, planets or rockets. Decorate planet shapes with glitter and gold or silver paint. The ribbons or strips of red cellophane from the base of the rocket for the flames.
You can also make invitations using Microsoft Word, insert some free space theme clip arts ( see example on the right) and print it on a colored paper of your choice.
You can also decorate, draw or put glitters or space scene stickers on the envelope, or you can ask the birthday child to write his/her friends name on the invitation.
Making a space theme party decoration is easy, you can try some of the ideas listed below.
- Lay the party tables with a black or dark –blue cloth, then straw with silver stars moons and planet shapes to create a celestial look.
- Plain cups and plates can be decorated with start and planet stickers.
- Get lots of dark or silvery balloons, it will add an awesome effect.
- Use large sheets of black paper or material to cover the walls, decorate it by cutting some stars using construction papers.
- If you are having a night time party, the glow in the dark are ideal, the kids love them , you can buy inexpensive ones in the party shops.
- If you have more time you can make mobiles of different planets using Styrofoam balls and complete the solar system and hang it on the ceiling.
You can make some real space food, it is a good idea to put a sign on each dish and explain what it is. Here are some ideas to start with.
- Star or Moon biscuits – this is when biscuits cutters shaped like stars and moons will come in handy.
- Meatball or cheese balls can be labeled - Moonballs.
- Birthday cake recreating the landing on the moon with a toy rocket on top, an American flag, or simply dust one or more star shapes over deep – blue icing.
- Flying Saucer Pizza
- Little Milky Way and Mars Bars for treats.
Games and Activities
- Films such as "Lost in Space" or "Star Wars" would help set the scene
- Guessing Game - Activities could include guessing how many planets (marbles or jelly beans) there are in a jar.
- Meteor Hunt - Cover tennis ball with foil and hide the balls around the garden before the party, then get the kids to find as many as possible – the one with the most wins.
- Star Gazing - This might be over the top but if you are having a night party you could rent a telescope, and each kid can have a turned looking at the sky at night time, I am sure this will be a hit for the kids, and a real astronomical experience.
- Play Space G : e.g. Planet Dash
How to Play Planet dash
Prepare large sturdy cardboard cut-outs of all the planets
Write the names of the planets and scatter them around the garden.
Have the kids gather at a starting point, after which an adult reads out the name of a planet. All the kids run to the planet then the next planet is called out and so on. . .
This could be done as an elimination game with the fastest child winning.
Take Home Bags
- An ideal treat bag could include: glow in the dark stickers or the glow in the dark necklace; toy aliens, silver hair gel, glitter pens, space scene stickers.
- Space Theme Coloring Book - you can purchase them or you can download 4 - 5 space theme coloring pages from the internet and make it as an A4 coloring book and kids can color it at home or while waiting for their parents to pick them up.
Not interested in Space Birthday Party. . . how about?
- Alphabet Birthday Party
Some ideas on how to host an Alphabet Party, suited for children aged 6 -8. Invitations, decorations food, games and activities and take home bags.