The Walking Dead Party Ideas and Supplies
How to Plan A Walking Dead Party
If you haven’t heard of The Walking Dead – where have you been for the past five years? The hit combination of horror and drama first swept the US by storm, and now it’s gone global, luring in fans with its apocalyptic universe (and plenty of guts and gore!). Follow Rick Grimes as he wakes from a coma to find his world has been overrun by zombies – yikes!
The show has it all – drama, horror, tension, suspense, moments of humor and even tinges of romance. Now, with a new spin off show, Fear The Walking Dead, the franchise is set to become bigger than ever before.
If you’ve ever thought of holding a Walking Dead party, whether it’s for a birthday, a series finale or another special occasion, we’ve got plenty of tips and resources to ensure your guests will leave suitably spooked – though hopefully not zombified!
The Walking Dead Party Invitations and Ideas
First up is the invitations – this will be the first thing your honored guests will see of the party and its theme, so you’ve got to make an extra effort to ensure it’s just right.
There’s plenty of scope to get creative with your Walking Dead party invitations. You could issue a call for all those are uninfected – tell them they must arrive at your party venue at a certain time on a certain day for vaccination – or to form an alliance against the undead!
You could also get your guests into the spirit of things by offering quarantine instructions. This cool quarantine party invitation is sure to get your guests excited (and perhaps a little nervous!) before the party gets started.
If you don’t have much time or money to create fancy invitations, there’s a simple solution. Many Etsy sellers like this one post party invitation templates online. You pay a small price upfront to download the file, then you can print out as many as you like on your own printer. It’s fast, it’s cost-effective, and the finished invitations still look fantastic!
The Walking Dead Party Decorations and Ideas
When it comes to decorating your party venue (whether it’s your home or a hired venue), you’ll want the overall effect to be as creepy and authentic as possible. Don’t worry about guests being scared – if they’re fans of The Walking Dead, it’s likely that they’ve seen it all before!
Halloween props will be your friend as your decorate your venue. You can find everything from eyeballs to fake blood on eBay and other sites – and if it’s nowhere near Halloween you can usually pick them up at a great price.
This doorway with the famous ‘Don’t Open, Dead Inside’ phrase made famous by The Walking Dead is super cheap and easy to make. Simply grab an old bedsheet and some black paint or a black fabric pen – don’t worry about making it neat, it’s supposed to look as though it was scrawled in a hurry!
You don’t have to limit your décor to just one room either – splash a shower curtain with fake blood to add an eerie effect to your bathroom, and board up doors around your venue for an authentic effect. Add some cut-out zombie hands like this example for some real bonus points!
The Walking Dead Cake Decorations and Ideas
A zombie party might not immediately put you in the mood for cake – but if you’re planning a birthday party, the cake is the focal point of one of the most important moments of the day! Luckily, there are plenty of ways you can enjoy a zombie-themed cake for the special day.
Why not try and recreate this delicious looking brain-cake? It’s fun and cheap to make, and the finished effect is awesome – it looks so realistic, even when you cut into it! There’s a great Instructable on how to make the brain-cake – just be sure to warn your guests before they see it!
This awesome Walking Dead cake is a great example of what can be done with a little time and effort. With a marzipan knife sticking out of the top, the Walking Dead logo and a host of other little touches that fans of the show are sure to spot, this cake is for the most die-hard fans only – no pun intended!
If the party isn’t a birthday-related event but you still want to serve up some cake, these zombie cake pops are the perfect idea! They’re fairly easy to make if you have basic cake decorating skills – it doesn’t even matter if they’re a little messy. Let’s face it, zombies are hardly oil paintings, so a few frosting smudges here and there don’t really matter, as long as it tastes great.
How to make The Walking Dead "Don't Open, Dead Inside" Cake
The Walking Dead Party Food and Drink Ideas
Whether you’re hosting a birthday party or a Walking Dead viewing party, your guests will come with empty stomachs that they expect to be filled! Here are our top ideas for food and drink at your zombie-themed event:
- These easy ‘blood’ spattered cookies are so simple to make. You can create some cookies from a shop-bought mix, then cover them with white icing and flick some red food coloring over them for a blood-curdling effect!
- If you don’t want to serve up themed food but you still want to give your guests a fright, try this hilarious table layout! All you need is some old jeans and a jacket, and you can make it look like you’re eating right from a man’s intestines – yum!
- Finger-lickin’ good! These appetizing hotdogs certainly look the part, and they’re amazingly easy. Simply cook up a batch of hotdogs and peel off a patch of skin where the fingernail is supposed to be. Smother them with ketchup and serve!
The Walking Dead Party Favors and Ideas
Everyone loves a good party favor – but how can you send guests home from your Walking Dead party ensuring they’ll hold onto your favor forever?
First off, instead of the traditional goody bag, why not pack your guests a survival kit that will see them through any future zombie apocalypse? Pack it with basic food rations, some First Aid equipment and a torch for a cheap and easy party favor that your guests will definitely hold onto!
These simple zombie badges make a great addition to any gift bag, or they’re great as a standalone favor. You can also bulk-buy some surgical gloves and fill them with treats to make it look as though your guests are carrying a human hand home with them – yuk!
If you have any spare medication bottles lying around the house (or if you know someone that does), you can also fill them with candy or chocolates and label them as the cure. Hand them out to guests as they leave the party to make sure they don’t contaminate others!
The Walking Dead Party Games and Activities
Even if you’re hosting a viewing party, you’ll need to put on some kind of entertainment that doesn’t involve sitting in front of the TV screen! Check out our top ideas for party games at your Walking Dead-themed party.
- The Walking Dead Drinking Game as found here on Buzzfeed is only suitable for adults, obviously – but it can be a lot of fun if everyone is familiar with the rules! While you’re watching the show, you drink for certain scenarios, such as whenever you see the first zombie, or whenever Daryl aims his crossbow.
- Have your guests fill in these fun Zombie Survival Sheets, ideal if you have younger guests attending and you want to keep them occupied. Supply some colored pencils (stick with grungy, dark colors for the best effect) and away they go!
- Set up a Zombie Toss Game like this one with a large piece of cardboard and some decent artistic skills. This game is fun for adults and children alike – practice throwing a small beanbag through the holes, and if you get it through the head, you win a prize!
- Eyeball Pong is a twist on Beer Pong – instead of using a ping-pong ball, you simply use a toy eyeball (or a small bouncy ball painted to look like an eyeball). You can play it with alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks depending on the ages of your guests – try not to pit adults against youngsters in case their drinks get mixed up!
- Survival Assault Course – if you have plenty of room at your venue or in your yard, set up an assault course that gives your guests an idea of how long they’d survive in a zombie apocalypse. The fastest around the course gets a prize, of course!
So there we have it – zombie fans everywhere, rejoice! Our full guide to throwing your very own Walking Dead party is packed with ideas and resources so you can enjoy your event to the fullest.
Think we’ve missed any ideas? Thrown a Walking Dead party and want to share it with us? We’d love to hear your new suggestions – post them in the comments below!