- Holidays and Celebrations»
Who REALLY benefits from the "Easter Bunny"?
Easter MemoriesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Why I think the Easter Bunny is a HOAX!
Frankly I think it's sad that commercialism has twisted the true meaning of Easter and turned it into a big candy/toy fest.
I'm walking down the Easter candy aisle of my favorite stores and notice how much has changed since I was a kid. We used to just get chocolate bunnys, peeps and maybe some Hershey’s kisses when I was growing up. Now you get toys and gadgets up the wazoo! Of course no sign of ANYTHING that resembles our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and his resurrection. What the heck does the Easter Bunny have to do with Easter anyways folks?
Okay I get the history and all behind how he came about. But why is sooooo much emphasis placed on the Easter Bunny anyways? Well let’s see who benefits from it:
- Retail stores. Who can resist a big oversized plush bunny rabbit, it’s soo cute after all right? Heck they make it easy for you now a days they have entire baskets pre-filled with anything you can imagine for boys and girls alike. Gotta dye those eggs, need the egg-dying kits and of course eggs! They even come in plastic in case you forget where you hid them from your kids and find them days, even weeks later, not a pretty sight! (Sorry Mom I couldn’t resist) $$$Cha-ching, cha-ching$$$ goes the cash register.
- Candy companies. What haven’t they come up with yet? You know you want that hollow chocolate bunny, and those nasty marshmallow peeps (Never liked the things myself) how about those super sticky, too rich for my blood, Cadbury eggs? Personally I like a good peanut butter filled chocolate egg…yummy! I like to amuse myself by strolling candy aisles to see what crazy concoctions they’ve come up with, such as candy that looks like a baby bottle (why not start ‘em from infancy and rot their teeth BEFORE they get ‘em I say!) Tubes of gel-like candy-(straight to their blood-stream for a faster sugar rush get it done and over with, right Mom’s?!). American Idol pop Microphones-(I’m not making this stuff up honestly!) Flip phone cell phone candy (“Mommy says I can’t have a cell phone until I’m five so this will have to do I guess) Again…$$$Cha-ching, cha-ching $$$$
- Toy companies-Just see for yourself that mad house of toys they are including in the Easter section of your favorite retail store, How many various sizes, shapes and colors of a bunny can you come up with? I actually saw one that had a rain coat on that when you pushed a button it opened up showing nothing but boxers singing “It’s Raining men”…..yeah that’s really making me think about the Resurrection folks.
- Parents-I know what you’re thinking, how are parents benefiting from the Easter Bunny? Well much like we use Santa Claus to get our kids to behave….who hasn’t told their kid, “you better be good if you want Santa Claus/Easter Bunny to come”? Who says we can’t use marketing to our advantage?
- Children’s clothing
industry- You have to dress your little girl up in the cutest, frilliest,
Easter dress you can find. And don’t forget the cute bonnet and gloves to
boot. Every spring my daughter gets a new Easter dress from a family member or from her Mommy & Daddy. I admit I LOVE to see her in a cute frilly outfit!