Tropical Theme Party Ideas
Puerto Rico & Caribbean Tropical Party
If you are dreaming about being in the tropics as the weather warms up, then transport yourself with a Tropical Caribbean Themed Party! A tropical theme party is perfect for many events including bachelorette parties, weddings, adult or child birthday parties, or just a great friends get together to bring warm thoughts to mind on those cold fall and winter days.
Read on for recipes, decorating ideas & more for a Puerto Rican-Caribbean inspired tropical party that will transport you and your guests to the tropics.
Photography by Nuestra Herencia Co.
Type Of Tropical Party Or Celebration
What type of event are you planning?
no party is complete without great music!
To set the tone for your party, music is a must. Find a few music tracks in your MP3, or purchase at least a few albums with Caribbean inspired or Puerto Rican music. You can always add some of your guests favorite songs in among the tropical songs, but be sure that at least for welcoming your guests and during any more quiet times, such as dinner, or end of the party, you play more of your tropical themed music. It will make the event more memorable.
Transport Yourself To The Caribbean! - nothing gets us into the tropical mood more than music...
Sit back, listen to a few clips and relax
to start planning the perfect
Caribbean themed party!
If you like it, you can click to purchase it.
Tropical Party Invitations
setting the moodTODAY ONLY GET 60% OFF THESE INVITATIONS...click on an invitation to find out more!
A beautiful invitation sets the tone for a party. There is a wide variety from whimsical to elegant. When you take the time to find a beautiful invitation, your guests will feel honored that you took such attention to detail and in addition, will see the party as a "no miss" party vs. "the normal everyday get together". There are hundreds of tropical invitations to choose from. We have picked our top favorite invitations which can be used for any type of tropical party...a birthday, a pool party, a housewarming, even an intimate wedding.
Caribbean Tropical Attire
Nothing says Puerto Rico or Caribbean tropical like the classic "Guayabera" shirt. When hosting a tropical party, considering your attire is a sure way to setting the ambiance. In addition, you will be part of the decoration! Imagine greeting your guests in these great guayaberas. Depending on the tone of your party, an all white dress in cotton or linen is a great way to set the mood for a more elegant and classy party. If you are looking for a more fun and whimsical party, then shorts, colorful polos or camp shirts and floral dresses/shirts for the women are the perfect attire. You will not be throwing out the money on decorations that you might never use again, but instead will have a new article of clothing for your next party or vacation!
Tropical Party Décor
When it comes to decorating your party the most important thing to remember is that everything truly must match your theme in some way. If it is not tropical, then it must be neutral or basic...such as the basic white tablecloth below. By having non-disposable party decorations, the party will make you look like a professional party planner, and in addition, because you will be able to reuse many of the items, you will save money in the long run. You've never seen a professional party planner use only paper decorations, have you?To decorate your buffet table and any other tables, use a basic white tablecloth. If you do not have white, although preferred, use any solid color/non-patterned tablecloth to match your invitations, etc. You can then throw just a few seashells on top or to make it even more interesting, throw a fishing net over the tablecloth and then throw the seashells or starfish on top. Candles in any color (check your house, you might have some you can use), will definitely give the tables a very elegant look. Also, fabric tropical leaves can be placed peeking from underneath the food trays, this will give your buffet or food tables a very polished and professional look.
Postcards From The Caribbean
An inexpensive way to decorate your party is with postcards. Purchase a few postcards and toss on tables, or add to picture frames to give your room a tropical feel and you can even customize them and use them as invitations for your party!
5 Money Saving Tips
- Invest in good quality white basic tablecloths. A basic white tablecloth can be used for every type of party from formal, to child's birthday, to holidays, even a tropical party!
- Go room by room in your house and find anything that is related to the tropics. It could be a flower, a plant, a lamp, seashells from your last trip, or even a suitcase!
- Go through all your music and find any music that is tropical.
- Have candles? Get them too! Candles are a beautiful and inexpensive way to set the tone for a classy party.
- Buy items that you absolutely love to decorate. Once the party is over, you can use them in your home and in other parties for years to come.
Table Setting & Cutlery
Although many think of "pink, orange, red, yellow, bright greens, blues, etc" when thinking of tropical, the fact is that not all tropical parties or décor must be so colorful. Sometimes, less colors makes for an elegant party without spending much money. If you want a more colorful event, use bright colors as accents in candles, flowers, fresh fruit instead, etc. In addition, by keeping your purchases which can be reused neutral, you will ensure that they can be used for many years to come or just around the house in the summer time!
Learn the correct way to peel a pineapple!
Tropical Food & Beverage
The food for your party should as much as possible match your theme. For a Puerto Rican party getting some "authentic Puerto Rican coffee" is a detail that your guests will definitely remember. A soda, a cake, candies, etc...anything related to the tropics coconuts, mangoes, pineapple, rum cakes, etc) will definitely give your party a very nice and unexpected touch. You don't have to go out of your way, although in this situation, yes, more is better...but plan to have at least a few items whether homemade or store bought for your guests to enjoy.
- 2 ounces of "Coco Lopez" Â® Cream of Coconut
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 ounce Don Q Gold (optional)
- 1 cup of ice
- Mix in blender until smooth
- Optional - serve chilled with pineapple wedge and/or cherry.
Puerto Rican Chicken Kabobs Recipe - know as "chicken pinchos" in Puerto Rico
- 8 garlic cloves
- peeled & mashed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh oregano
- 8 skinless
- boneless chicken thighs (about 1-1/4 pounds total)
- Marinade - combine garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt & pepper; mix well. Cut chicken into squares, about 2" each. Place chicken in a covered bowl and add marinade. Chill for 2 to 12 hours.
- Making Kabobs - place kabob sticks in sink or other water recipient until fully covered in water. Leave in water about 20 minutes. Remove sticks from water and thread chicken onto wooden skewers. Leave about 1/2" between pieces of chicken to ensure thorough cooking.
- Grilling - grill kabobs on an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 5 minutes. If desired, brush chicken with leftover marinade while grilling. Grill for 7 to 10 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Serve with a slice of French bread, pineapple or mango, if desired.
Cooking Videos for Tropical Food - Puerto Rico & Caribbean
Find Caribbean Cookbooks - on Amazon
Tropical Party Ideas Sites
You can share your thoughts about this lens, or if you have other ideas that you would like to see on this site, leave us a note below.