Valentines Day Card Ideas
Valentines Day Card Ideas
If you're looking for Valentines Day card ideas and inspiration, you're in the right place. You'll find some practical ideas, suggestions and sources on this page to help you make a romantic card for your loved one. It's a lot easier to get creative than you may think too! I've got all the ideas you'll need to succeed.
Image courtesy of Amazon
Make Your Own Valentines Card
I bet you assumed making a Valentine's card was too hard to even think about. I know I did when I first started researching this lens. That's why I loved the card you'll see in the following video. Even I could make it - and if you knew how much I tend to fumble when doing anything remotely arty you'll know that's true.
You'll even get to try your hand at some simple origami with this idea. Before I watched the video all I could make were paper planes. Now I can make paper hearts too. Yay for me! The reason I chose this video was because it gives you the opportunity to make a simple yet effective Valentine's card for your significant other. It just goes to show it doesn't need to be overly complex to be impressive.
Make Your Own Valentines Card Example
Supplies For Make Your Own Valentines Card
In order to get the origami heart, watch the video included after this list of supplies.
- White paper measuring 13cm x 9.5cm
- Red paper measuring 6cm x 8.5cm
- White paper measuring 5cm x 7.5cm
- Origami heart (made from red paper measuring 7cm x 7cm)
Origami Heart Needed For Make Your Own Valentines Card
Valentines Day Card Supplies
There are two great things about this project. Firstly it's easy. Secondly you don't need to invest in lots of craft tools you'll never use again. I've put together everything you'll need below, so you can be well on the way to making your easy Valentine's Day card for that special someone.
How To Make The Valentines Card
- Start with the largest piece of white card, folded in half.
- Make your origami heart from the piece of red paper, according to the folding instructions in the second video shown above.
- Get your other pieces of flat white and flat red paper ready to use.
- Take the piece of red paper, glue it on one side and stick it to the middle of your card, on the side that will eventually be the front.
- Now repeat the above step, this time using the piece of white paper, gluing it and sticking it to the red paper. You should now have what looks like a white border around the card, with a red border inside it and then the white paper in the middle.
- Now get your origami heart and glue it on the back (make sure you have it the right way up!). Stick it to the front of the card, taking care to position it in the middle.
- Hey presto! You now have your finished Valentine card. Just leave it to one side while the glue dries, and then you can write inside it.
Cute Valentines Day Card Ideas
I love this next video because you get several ideas you can use for your Valentine's card design. This should provide you with some inspiration for creating your own card, if you feel a little bold and you want to go one step further than the design above.
Firstly you get to see another way of making a heart shape from paper, and then you'll see a pop up heart (my personal favourite). This one is impressive but you'd be surprised how easy it is to make. Finally you'll get to see some ribbon hearts being made. So you get three for the price of one with this video.
Cute Valentines Day Ideas Example
Supplies For The Cute Valentines Card Ideas
- FOR THE ORIGAMI HEARTS
- Origami squares (your choice of colors and designs, but red and romantic is good!)
- FOR THE POP UP HEART
- Sheet of red paper (choose your own size here; just make sure you don't go too small)
- Sheet of pink paper (same size as above; this is for the card itself)
- Glue stick
- FOR THE RIBBON HEARTS
- Red craft ribbon (you can use your choice of width, but a 1 3/8 inch wide ribbon is easier to work with if you've not done this before)
Cute Valentines Card Supplies
One thing I quickly realised while researching this lens is that there are thousands of crafting items out there. When it comes to origami paper you'd be surprised what you can find. I thought the pack below was really good value though - lots of choice and you'll always find new ways to use it once you start getting creative.
Once you've got a few odds and ends tucked away, like the ribbon for example, it'll be easier than ever to create homemade cards for any occasion, not just Valentine's Day.
How To Make The Cute Valentines Day Card Ideas - #1 Origami Hearts
- Choose one or more origami squares you particularly like.
- Follow the simple folding steps in the video to create as many hearts as you wish!
How To Make The Cute Valentines Day Card Ideas - #2 Pop Up Heart
- Fold a sheet of red paper in half and sketch half a small heart on one end, moving from the folded side outwards. Cut it out and set to one side.
- Next, sketch half a larger heart in the same way, using the rest of the paper.
- Fold out the smaller heart you already cut out and place it next to the lower end of the larger heart you just sketched out. Refer to the video and you'll see the position used for this. Draw around it so you have it sketched into position next to the large heart.
- Cut round the outer edge of the large heart, starting from the top, and continue around the edge of the smaller heart too. Once you unfold the piece you have cut out, you should have one large heart and a smaller heart attached to it on either side.
- Keep the centre fold in the large heart. Now turn it over so the crease is facing upwards towards you. Fold down the line where the small heart meets the large one on each side. These creases should therefore be the opposite to the main one through the middle of the large heart.
- Choose another sheet of paper and fold it in half (she uses pink in the video).
- Open this sheet up so you can see the inside, and position the heart inside so the middle crease is pointing outwards. The two smaller hearts should sit on the paper.
- Once you've checked the positioning, glue the underside of each small heart and press into position on the card.
- The card should then close flat. When you open it the large heart should pop out towards you.
- Finish decorating the exterior of the card in any way you wish, perhaps by using some of the other methods on this lens.
How To Make The Cute Valentines Day Card Ideas - #3 Ribbon Hearts
- Cut a length of red ribbon as shown in the video.
- Carefully follow the folding instructions as shown in the video to create a ribbon heart.
- Cut off the trailing ends of the ribbon; they're no longer needed.
- Glue your ribbon hearts into place as part of your finished Valentine's Day card design.
Valentines Day Card Message
Of course a homemade Valentine card is just the beginning. It's what you write inside it that matters most. To my mind, the most important thing about the whole process is to write from the heart.
There are plenty of sources of inspiration online if you get stuck, but remember the best message will come from you. Take your time - trying to write the most meaningful message at five to midnight on February 13th isn't the best time to get it done!
Message For A Valentines Card
Supplies For Valentines Card Message
- A mini kit of calligraphy pens (perfect for romantic handwriting)
- Some practice paper
Valentines Card Message Instructions
- Grab your notepad and a calligraphy pen and get in some practice of how to write with it if you're new to calligraphy. Remember, you don't need to be an expert, you're just looking for something a little different and fairly neat for the finished card.
- Jot down some ideas for your message. What do you want to write?
- When inspiration strikes, write your message down quickly on the notepad.
- When you're happy with the wording and you are ready to fill in your Valentine card, go ahead and write it in. Take your time and write carefully so you don't make any errors.
More Pages For Valentine Couples
Heart Shaped Cake Tin
If you fancy baking cakes or muffins with a difference, a heart shaped cake tin is just the job. It makes kitchen romance easy - just bake your favorite cake...
Topsy Turvy Cake Pans
If you see a cake that has been built several layers high and yet seems to defy all the laws of gravity, you can be sure the creator of said cake used topsy ...
Valentines Day Heart Jewellery
On this Valentine's Day why not give the one you love a little something special? Jewellery doesn't have to be predictable or boring especially if you opt f...
Wine Bottle Cheese Board
There's something about a wine bottle cheese board that blows all the other cheese boards out of the water. Some are literally old wine bottles living a new ...
Glass Teapot With Infuser
If you've never tried a glass teapot with infuser before, you're in for a treat. We received one for Christmas a couple of years back and it's been well used...
Allison Whitehead is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.