- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
What mothers want for Mother's Day!
What gifts mean the most to mom?
We all want to give mom that special gift - one that she will treasure! But what exactly is that perfect gift? What does she really want?
I decided to survey mothers to find out what they would most appreciate for Mother's Day. I surveyed 113 mothers of children of all ages. I polled family, friends, co-workers, and people that I met at social gatherings.
Read on and find out how to make your mother's day special!
The Actual Survey Question
This was the actual survey question:
"Within reason and taking into consideration the age of your child/children, what would you like most to receive on Mother"s Day (or what would mean the most)?
For mothers of infants and young toddlers - what could your significant other do or give you to make your Mother's Day special?
When submitting your answer, please include the ages of your children."
I categorized the mother's answers according to the age groups of their children.
So listen up kids! Help make your mom's day special and memorable.
And dads - you listen up too! You can help your child make and/or give their mom that special gift.
What Moms want from Adult/Grown Children
29 Moms Surveyed
#1 Quality time
#2 Day at the Spa
#1 Quality Time (21 out of 29)
Overwhelmingly, the #1 thing mothers want from their adult children is to spend quality time with them.
1) Have a home cooked meal (10 out of 21)
2) Go out to dinner (8 out of 21)
3) Have a picnic at the park (1 out of 21)
4) Watch old home videos (1 out of 21)
5) Phone call (1 out of 21) - This mom states her boys are in the army - and she just wants to hear their voice.
#2 Day at the Spa (5 out of 29)
Mothers also want to be pampered. This includes: pedicures, manicures, facials, massages, or hairstyle.
If mom frequently goes to a specific salon, you can always ask for a gift certificate.
If you are considering purchasing a massage - make sure it is something you know your mom would be interested in.
Click on the link below to find out more about spa and massage.
#3 Chores (3 out of 29)
Three mothers said that they would like for their children to do some work for them. Here are the chores that the mothers in my survey would like help with:
1) Do yard work and gardening
2) Clean and organize the house
3) Certificate for house cleaning service
Photo credit: MOTHER DAY by Nadeika on stockfreeimages.com
The above answers were what mothers listed as the one single thing that they really wanted. However, several mothers did state that if their children really felt like they had to also give them a gift, these are some of the things that they would appreciate:
1) Perfume (find out what perfume your mom actually wears)
2) Gift certificate to favorite restaurant
3) Beads for Pandora bracelet (only if mom owns a Pandora bracelet)
4) Plants for the garden or garden decor (only for moms that enjoy gardening)
And My Pick for a Great Gift Idea!
Just thought I'd share with you, a gift that I gave my mom for Christmas. It is her favorite gift ever!
- Visit my "Keeping It Hot" Lens
It's a practical, but great gift for mom! My mom loves it! She says it is the best gift she ever got - seriously! Check out my lens!
What Moms Want from Middle School and High School Children
28 Moms surveyed
#1 Quality Time
#2 Cards and Handwritten Sentiments
#1 Quality Time (18 out of 28)
Again, overwhelmingly, the #1 answer was quality time. However, "quality time" was described a little differently for this age group.
Whether it be going out to eat, having a cookout, or just hanging, mothers in this group described quality time as:
1) No arguing
2) No attitudes
3) No whining
4) No backtalk
Kid - moms just want everyone to get along!
#2 Cards and Handwritten Sentiments (10 out of 28)
1) Handmade cards with a poem or something nice written inside (6 out of 10)
2) A card handpicked by child and paid for with child's own money (4 out of 10)
Photo by shawnzrossi on Flickr
Amazon Card Making Kits
What Moms Want from Pre-K through Elementary School Children
31 moms surveyed. Dads - you can help your little ones make something special.
#1 Handmade gifts
#2 Clean their rooms & pick up after themselves
#3 Quiet/Alone time (I guess these moms get enough quality time)
#1 Handmade Gifts (19 out of 31)
1) Handmade cards with poem written by child (8 out of 19)
2) Hand prints (5 out of 19)
3) Painting or picture done by child in a frame (3 out of 19)
4) Hand decorated frame with child's picture (1 out of 19)
5) Clay or ceramic pinch pot to hold tiny things like rings while cleaning, buttons, paperclips, etc (1 out of 19)
6) Homemade anything (1 out of 19)
See Amazon links below to help you create that perfect gift!
#2 Clean up your room and pick up your things (7 out of 31)
Kids - Moms want clean, neat homes. Don't leave your toys and things lying all around the house - mom gets tired of picking everything up.
And clean your rooms! You may not care how your room looks - but mom does! Do it for mom!
And dads - just a hint - moms would love if you would take the initiative and helped your kids clean and pick up. No need to spend money!
#3 Quiet/Alone Time (5 out of 31)
Moms need some quiet alone time. Dad - pack the kids up and take them out for the day. Let mom relax alone at home (maybe after you and the kids clean first).
If you can't do this on Mother's Day because of other commitments, give her a handmade coupon for a day of her own - to do what she wants.
Amazon Gift Crafts - Dads - You Can Help!
Dads - if you are not very crafty - find a relative or friend to help. If mom loves crafts - she may want to do the creating. I would have loved the hand and footprint picture kit when my daughter was little.
Card Making Kits
What Mothers of Infants and Toddlers Want
25 Mothers Surveyed
#1 Something sentimental / Keepsake
#2 Gift certificate to favorite salon
#3 Gift certificate to favorite store
#4 Purse or wallet
#5 Weekend getaway with husband
#6 Gift certificate for professional photo of mother and infant
#1 Sentimental Keepsakes (11 out of 25)
1) Birthstone charm for necklace or bracelet (4 out of 11)
2) Engraved charm for necklace or bracelet with child's name and birthdate. (3 out of 11)
3) Handprint and footprint keepsake (3 out of 11)
4) Have infants first booties bronzed (1 out of 11)
Give mom that personalized gift she will always cherish!
- "ThingsRemembered" - Making memories last!
Choose from so many beautiful gifts! Personalize and engrave for lasting memories!
- Baby Keepsakes
Capture a moment in time and make it last forever.
- Bing.com - Mother's Keepsakes Gifts
More ways to capture and treasure memories of your little ones
#2 Certificate to Favorite Salon (6 out of 25)
1) Certificate for hair style (3 out of 6)
2) Certificate for manicure (2 out of 6)
3) Certificate for pedicure (1 out of 6)
This is pretty self-explanatory. Just make sure it is a place you know mom frequents.
#3 Gift Certificate to Favorite Store (4 out of 25)
This is self-explanatory also. Ask mom's friend to tell you what store is her favorite, if you don't know.
#4 Purse or Wallet (2 out 0f 25)
Only purchase if you know what particular style or brand your mom likes or wants. These accessories need to express mom's personality!
#5 Weekend Getaway (1 out of 25)
Husbands - this is also self-explanatory! Where would your wife love to go - what does she like to do? It's not about what you like - not until father's day.
Just some ideas:
Bed and Breakfast
New York for a Broadway Show
A tropical island
Husband and wife spa
Photo credit: Petr Kratochvil on publicdomainpictures.net
#6 Gift Certificate for Professional Photo (1 out of 25)
This is a great idea - if mom is into photos!
Mother And Baby On The Beach by Petr Kratochvil