- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
10 Incredibly Annoying Habits of Highly Successful Writers.
What do you consider to be annoying in a person?
Since the popularity of my previously Hub: 10 habits of highly successful writers, I've decided to touch another topic that is proving to be just as popular.
To me, being annoying is constantly picking out imperfection in others, and making sure everything is up to someone elses "standard". I honestly cannot work with someone that takes an hour to write, and submit an article. This to me is so annoying, yet, there is something to individuals that take their time, and create work fighting for online. Some of the most annoying characteristics that many writers obtain, are also those very characteristics that HIGH PAYING clients are searching for every day.
It doesn't only take being a great writer to land a job these days, it also takes being a perfectionist about your work, re-thinking the topics you choose to write as a blogger, and also having to constantly keep up with the demands of your clients to such an extent that YOU, as the writer contacts your employer more than your employer contacts you.
You may be surprised what writers find to be the most annoying when working on a project of some sort with another writer, but then again, we have to think that there has to be a reason for the insanity of being so "perfect" for others.
I've compiled a list of the 10 most annoying habbits that many writers have, that actually works to their advantage because it also makes them the most successful.
- Freelancing: What to do when you want to give up writing.
This is one of the thoughts that many freelancers have when they first start their own business. It is not easy being a freelance writer, people are often under a lot of stress, and constantly looking for jobs. So, what does one do when the thought o
- How to Deal with Constant Rejections as a Freelance Writer
- How much money can you make as a freelance writer?
A look at how much money writers can make each month. Writers can have more than one source of income, each month.
What makes you tick?
- Will never take NO for an answer! NO, NO, NO! This is a word that many freelance writers hear too often. About 90 percent of the time, writers will stop, or give up pursuing a job after being given the AX. However! Extremely persistent, and even ANNOYINGLY persistent writers will often take a NO, as a MAYBE and DO the project anyway! What does this bring them? Well, believe it or not! This brings them MORE BUSINESS! After talking to a friend of mine -also a writer- about how much money she brings in, and what her secret was, she merely said: NO, Is NOT in my vocabulary! There are many times in the freelance business, where writers will often get more NO's than Yes. This means that it is up to writers to make the most out of every clients and try our very best to please them. Hell, if the price is right, I wouldn't take NO, for an answer either!
- Being ANNOYINGLY on time. We all know that if we have a project or job to do, we have to deliver it on time. However, there are many writers that take it upon themselves to be ON TIME, or even EARLIER than usual to deliver a project. HU! You might think, Ok, well that's great, however the project was HUGE! Well, in this case, time management is extremely important! According to an article published in All about freelance writing, the highest paying writers will often get paid MORE if they deliver projects on time OR early! Amazing!
- Checking, checking some more, and then, RE-CHECKING! Ok, Even I do this one. My work is NEVER DONE. It seems that as soon as I'm finished writing one article, and submitting it, there are 3 other e-mails waiting for me as soon as I'm done! The one thing that I LOVE about my job, is how much work there is online, the one thing that I HATE about my job, is that I just never seem to finish working! I think the reason why I receive so much work is the simple fact that I edit, edit, and then edit some more everything that I turn in. I learned this particular habit from another close friend of mine who has been working as a freelance writer for almost 10 years, and over the last 5 years she has almost DOUBLED her earnings because she is NEVER happy with her work. Editing has become one of the HOTTEST and most sought out jobs online. WHY? because many bloggers do not have time to check their work, so that's where Editing wizards come in!
- Wont work unless the price is right! This is a powerful true statement. Freelance writers who set their prices accordingly, make the most money because they wont work for clients unless the price is right, or more than fair!
- Marketing is like breathing to them! Have you ever signed up to your facebook and see a hundred links by other writers promoting their work, articles or websites? I do! As crazy as it is, constantly promoting your work, and Your NAME is actually GREAT especially when you are starting out! Hell! If other writers and bloggers can do it, why not you!
- Constantly searching for jobs. As much as I hate to admit this, this has happened to me once or twice. In fact, it was how I made most of my money the first year I started to write for a living.. You may think that searching for jobs online is hard, for me it actually came as a pretty simple task. The only problem that I had when searching for jobs, is knowing WHEN to quit. I sincerely do not know how writers work online, and then STILL have time to search for other jobs. I have to take time off from work once in a while, because I find it difficult to work, search, work and publich, and then search again, ALL in the same day! However, highly efficient writers will at times do this ritual AT LEAST twice a day. How? Do not ask me, I couldn't tell you...
- Bloggers have more than one business at a time, AND know how to keep up with them! This habit actually does anger me, because I have more than one blog, and at times, they are a pain in my rear to keep up with. Sure, the money is great, when it comes, but whenever I let a blog catch dust for a week, my traffic decreases just a bit, and I see less zeros on my adsense earnings. How do other writers do it? I know time management is obviously a MUST, but sometimes, it just annoys me how much others work...
- They write, write, and write some more.. I know I write a lot, I keep getting e-mails from people asking me "how do you do it" and "How many blogs do you have?" But I know others that make me look like I waste time online because they work so much more. This is annoying!
- They are always looking for the next best thing. I'm happy with my job. I make great money, and I'm able to spend a lot of quality time with my son. I know that I make the most out of the time I have to write, and work. One of the worst habits that many writers have is not being able to rest when they are done working. Nope, they have to look for what other jobs they can handle. This is so annoying to me, because it makes me feel as if I'm slacking off because I'm so tired from having to work 8 hours that day..
- Finally! The last annoying habit. Just learning how to listen to other writers. Too many writers take it upon themselves to simply keep talking about their work non-stop. This can be annoying. I get word of mouth, but talking too much about your business endlessly can be annoying!