11 Things That Will Rogers DIDN'T Say
America's Favorite "Home spun Hero," Will Rogers
More Will Rogers Items of Value:
Will Rogers. As the majority of Americans did too. Plus the many fans Rogers had overseas. Will Rogers was a true American philosopher in every sense of the word. From his whimsical one-liners to his humorous thought-provoking jabs at politics and life in general, to his good-natured. Easy-to-approach personality, Will Rogers burst onto the American scene at a time when we needed a "shot of hope" in the arm. Name the subject. Rogers had an opinion. And mostly a jokingly viewpoint of whatever subject was thrown at him.
MY UNCLE RAYMOND WINSETT OF HAMILTON, ALABAMA
rest his soul, could have passed for Will Rogers' twin brother. He even looked confused like Rogers when asked a tough question. Uncle Raymond, I've suspected, was a secret fan of Will Rogers "in his day." Raymond's. Not Will's. One thing I remember that came from uncle Raymond's mouth was on the night after he had buried his wife of many years that very morning. Someone asked Raymond, "you going to get remarried, Raymond?" After a five-minute pause, and I'm sure for some sure-thinking, Raymond said, "nope. Too many mouths to feed that way," and laughed. I hate to talk ill of the dead, but Raymond, who is deceased too, would agree with this statement: I didn't see uncle Raymond shed one tear. Or let out a moan or lamented-groan over the passing of his wife because for many, many years, his wife was always belittling, tongue-lashing, brow-beating and humiliating Raymond. Others witnessed this cruel behavior other than me. She said one time that "Raymond didn't finish school so I have to do his thinking for him," what an egotistical person she was. Honest to God, I never liked her at all. Although my wife, Raymond's niece, tried to drive it into my head, "we must try to see the good in all people," with Raymond's wife that was near-impossible.
AFTER THE NIGHT OF RAYMOND'S WIFE'S WAKE
he went pretty much where he wanted. Stayed as long as he wanted. And praise Jesus, did what he wanted for as long as he wanted. I was glad for that turn in Raymond's life. I wish I had a photo of Raymond to share in his hub. But I do not.
And what did my uncle Raymond have to do with Will Rogers? Plenty. I think that I might have met Will Rogers' spirit if there is anything to a soul re-entering a living body after its first body is gone. But that discussion is for another time. You rest easy, uncle Raymond. I miss you.
NOW I WOULD LIKE TO, WITH YOUR PERMISSION, SHARE "11 THINGS THAT WILL ROGERS DIDN'T SAY," FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE. AND ALSO FOR YOUR SOCIAL STATUS. FOR IF YOU DROP A FEW OF THE 11 THINGS ROGERS DIDN'T SAY AT YOUR NEXT OFFICE PARTY OR BACKYARD BARBECUE, YOU WILL COME OFF LOOKING AND SOUNDING LIKE THE SMARTEST MAN OR WOMAN ON THE BLOCK.
First, let's review one thing that Will Rogers DID say. "when Congress tells a joke, it become law and when they pass a law it becomes a joke." Got that? Will Rogers actually said that verbal gem. What a character. Pal. Neighbor. After-dinner speaker. And entertainer. Will Rogers.
Now for The 11 Things Rogers DID NOT Say . . .
1. "I think that Communism, for the most part, stands as much of a chance to grow as a bitter weed in Kansas."
2. "Cows are like politicians. They always have a bag of something to give you and horns to stick you when your tax bill comes in the mail."
3. "No, friends. Crime does not pay, but being president of these here United States does."
4. "I like my neighbor. That one man I met last year."
5. "I never met a man that I didn't wonder if he had just got out of jail or not."
6. "Politics are like a walk in the barnyard. If you don't step careful, you will step in something that will make you stink even when you take a bath."
7. "High society to me is just an excuse to be seen eating a fancy chicken leg."
8. "Rich people tickle me to death. In the daylight they are always watching over their shoulder for the tax man and at night, they dream up ways of paying for his lunch."
9. "Mark Twain was right. Spiders love vacant corners in merchants' shops who overspend on advertising."
10. "I'm not a Republican or Democrat. Then what am I? Happy."
11. "I can look anybody square in the eye if they don't sock me square in the chin."
I sincerely hope that you enjoyed learning about the things that Will Rogers never said. Just do me this one favor. Do not spout-off too much of this hub to your friends who do not know that HubPages are, for they might get jealous at YOU knowing so much.
PS: did my voice sound enough like Will Rogers to be convincing?