- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
20 More Unspeakable Ideas for New Directions in Creative Writing Prompts
The idea is simple, use one of these various ideas to inspire yourself to write a hub about it. You can agree, disagree, it is unimportant.
1. Give a form and name to your greatest fear be it spider, clown, heights, or whatever - now write a short essay or story where you or another person is forced to face it in any way that you can bear to be detailed in describing.
2. You are forced to accept a fate that you feel is worse than death, tell us what that fate is and what you will do to be prepared for it. Can be for first or third person point of view only.
3. Do you believe you are going to Heaven or Hell, you must choose one. Well guess what, you are going to the opposite one you thought...Describe your ascent or descent from a humorous narrative view.
4. Interview someone who you have done wrong in the past, let them honestly tell the worst of your deeds done to them and to others. Honesty honesty honesty.
5. Describe how you personally found out about the facts of life. Do not make believe, tell the real story no matter now boring or embarrassing it may turn out to be.
6. Have you ever committed a crime? Even one that you never got caught, and noone found out about. Tell all, and bear your soul, it will feel good to get it out.
7. Do you have a secret fetish, make up a fictional story explaining what you wish you could live out behind closed doors in real life. This is to be fictional, not autobiographical, and must meet standards for decent written submissions on the hub.
8. Is there someone in your past, that could have been the one...but instead you ended up with your current chosen husband or wife. Write a fictional tale of what your life could have been, if you had only chose the alternative path.
9. Write a story of a past life that you believe or know that you have memories of, if possible give as many details about the person you were...name, birthplace, gender, birthdate etc.
10. Write a story of a future ghost (the opposite of a past life, a future yet to be reincarnation) that you believe or know that you will be in your next incarnation, if possible give as many details about the person you will yet live to be...name, birthplace, gender, birthdate etc.
11. Ask 20 questions of anyone interview style that you have known who is dead, and try to get enough information from the 20 questions for the reader to guess what the person died from, at what age, and what their deepest regret in life was...without directly asking any of those things in any of the interveiw questions.
12. Write a suicide note for someone other than yourself, real or imaginary. Do not use real names in any vision you use for the character.
13. Concieve a plan to hold the planet for ransom or to demand some other diabolical payment from the world and its leaders, use less than ten paragraphs to do so.
14. Do a Journalistic essay with any fictional character from a book or play that is not a human being...no limits, may use science fiction, or any genre that you please.
15. Write a personal diary about your life, if you were a child and knew you had only six months to live. You may be any age from five to sixteen years old.
16. You have been put into a witness protection program, after testifying against a drug cartel - tell your involvment and all the details you think we as readers can stomach.
17. Write your own eulogy and be an obnoxious ungrateful ass to your loved ones on the day of your funeral. Now they will get to know the real you, knock em dead.
18. You have only one desire in life, to become immortal. So you seek out a vampire, and must convince them to make you one of the undead, and convince them to become your sire. But they refuse...what will you do to get what you want from this jerk of a Vampire. Humor is the prefered device to use for this one.
19. You have been cursed with the phobia of your choice. Write about your life under the affliction of that which you most are fearful of...best if it affects your ability to write.
20. You are a convicted murderer on death row. Why are you on death row, give us the real story or make one up as to how you are innocent like all inmates are of course. What form of execution would you choose, what would you want for your last meal, your last writes etc.