21 Important Points To Remember for writing an ESSAY
21 Important points to remember for writing an essay
1) Choose the title very carefully in which you are perfectly at home. Never choose a title about which you have only hazy and ambiguous ideas.
2) You must jot down your points or ideas before you start writing the essay.
3) Arrange these points in a systematic order so that it makes a coherent and logical composition.
4) Do not go against the title generally.
5) The introduction should be direct and relevant . Do not beat about the bush and deviate from the title too much.
6) Avoid your essay with redundant quotations which mar the reading and show lack of expression.
7) Do not use stale idioms and clichés too much like ‘leaving no stone unturned’ or Rome was not built in a day’.
8) Put each main idea in to a separate paragraph.
9) You must not give numbers to paragraphs nor is there any need of giving sub-headings.
10) Avoid the use of slang and colloquial terms and try to develop a graceful, dignified and literary style.
11) The essay sould be written in a simple language. Sentences should be terse and short.
12) Let the tone of the essay be informative and suggestive.
13) You are not expected to be an expert or a specialist on the subject. Remember Dr.johnson’s definition “An essay is a loose sally of the mind; an irregular, indigestible piece.”
14) Make your essay a well-balanced and well-knit literary composition.
15) Avoid the use of big and high sounding words. Also avoid use of those words about which you are not sure.
16) Adopt an analytical and logical approach.
17) Always remember that the beginning and the ending of an essay are very important, so give them the maximum attention.
18) Never give a categorical or one-sided conclusion. The conclusion should always be balanced one.
19) There is no hard and fast rule regarding the length. The essay should neither be too short nor too lengthy.
20) Write in a beautiful and legible handwriting. A pleasing handwriting is always an asset
21) You must revise your essay after completion to correct the mistakes, if any.