25 Great Quotes That Will Teach and Inspire You
Sometimes you go through a point in your life when you feel like you're stalled in traffic. The goals you want to achieve seem so far off, but the solution can often be just a change in mindset.
What's been helpful to me is quotes. They are philosophy in bite sized pieces that can help change your mindset for the better if you internalize them.
This list is a small percentage of the ones read and been inspired by, and all of them were included at various points in the Evolve Academy newsletter. That's how I was exposed to them, and now I'm going to share a few that are especially excellent.
- Dave Pelzer: In life you are going to make mistakes, you're going to fall down, but it's the getting up that counts. Just like in baseball: you'll get a few hits, but most likely, you'll strike out more than you'll get on base. But don't quit. Find your focus, relax, take a deep breath and give it a good swing
- Abraham Lincoln: You can have anything you want - if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.
- Harry Truman: A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.
- David Bly: Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted.
- George Foreman: Don’t have that conversation with yourself where you say, ‘He’s got more talent than I do,’ or ‘She’s faster than I am.’ Success depends on what’s in your mind. I can tell you that being a boxing champion means more than physically waking up one morning and discovering a muscle or two. It happens from the tip of your toes all the way up to the crown of your head. Success is about your spirit….
- Anonymous: Adversity weakens the weak and strengthens the strong.
- Horatio: Adversity reveals genius, prosperity conceals it.
- Jack Dempsey: A champion is one who gets up when he can't.
- Edwin Percy Whipple: The universal line of distinction between the strong and the weak is that one persists; the other hesitates, falters, trifles, and at last collapses or 'caves in'.
- Winston Churchill: Success is going from failure to failure without lost of enthusiasm.
- Robert Jarvik: Leaders are visionaries with a poorly developed sense of fear and no concept of the odds against them. They make the impossible happen.
- Wernher von Braun: I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution.
- Malcolm Forbes: Success follows doing what you want to do. There is no other way to be successful.
- Scott Hamilton: Adversity, and perseverance and all these things can shape you. They can give you a value and a self-esteem that is priceless.
- John Mellencamp: What is there to be afraid of? The worst thing that can happen is you fail. So what? I failed at a lot of things. My first record was horrible.
- George S. Patton: I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs, but by how high he bounces when he hits the bottom.
- Hellen Keller: Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
- Newt Gingrich: Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.
- Ralek Gracie: No matter how good your teacher is, they can only take you halfway. In order to make it to the top, you must take responsibility for your own progress.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
- Thomas Jefferson: When you reach the end of your rope, Tie a knot in it and hang on!
- Anthony Robbins: It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.
- Alan Cohen: It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
- Seneca: It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, It is because we do not dare that things are difficult.
- Thomas Jefferson: Nothing can STOP the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can HELP the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Unifying Themes Within the Quotes
Persevere Through Adversity to Achieve Success
As you read these quotes, you'll notice that there are similarities in quite few of them. They are universal ideas expressed in unique ways.
One of those ideas is that your path may not always be filled with roses. In fact, it is almost certain that you will run into difficulties, but you will only truly fail when you give up.
Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard
Another common theme is that hard work will be required of you if you wish to achieve anything truly great. No one else is going to carry you over the finish line.
You Might Also Like
Was this helpful to you?
Oh Yeah, I Forgot
If you really enjoyed the quotes and they were helpful to you, I am compiling a fuller list at my blog. It will be updated over time, and right now I believe that there are close to a hundred awesome quotes.
Check it out:
Also feel free to share your thoughts on any quote. I know that you all have incredible opinions, and I can't wait to learn from you.