- Books, Literature, and Writing
Creative Things To Write About. Here Are 29 Tips To Get You Started
What Do You Write About?
People often ask me what I write about. I tell them I write about my everyday experience. Some of those might include writing about animals, mostly cats, I often write about my experience with bipolar. I actually try to write about a variety of things. They ask how much money I make, if I enjoy it, and is it hard. I explain that I mostly write for pleasure on HubPages. I do not have a set fee. I do enjoy writing, it has been a passion for as long as I can remember. Is it hard to write? Yes as a matter of fact yes it is sometimes hard to come up with something to write about, or how to present the article. And many times it just flows making it quite easy.
I came up with a list of things that I have written about and things to write about in the future. When you sit and think of all the exciting things you could write about, the list can get quite large. I wanted to keep my suggestions small and somewhat personal. Perhaps I can accomplish the task of writing about each of these topics I have listed. I have attempted many of the prompts, but so far have not reached my goal of writing about all of them. Many I have started, and have yet to finish. But the point is there is always something to write about. It is just a matter of being able to get the words out, and that sometimes is the toughest part.
Each writing prompt is a challenge in some way or another. Emotionally, mentally, or educationally. But that of course can be the challenge of writing. To create something your proud of, something that makes you feel like you accomplished something. Something that may touch someone else in the writing process. So moving forward, I came up with this list of 29 creative things to write about.
Let's begin writing
1. Write about things you love doing. You could start with a few short sentences them into a full fledged article. For instance you could write about the joy of walking, gardening, farming, playing, or just what you enjoy most about life.
2. Write about your favorite Television show. Create a review of your favorite episodes, what do you like, or dislike about your favorite TV program? Tell others why they might like to watch a particular show.
3. Write about your pet peeves. Most everyone has them, write about yours? Is sitting in traffic make you crazy, perhaps loud obnoxious people? Write about what really bothers you the most and why.
4. Write about your favorite childhood memory. Maybe it was your first day of school. Your first big purchase ? Someone you met that you adored? Your first puppy, It starts with a memory.
5. Write about your high school experience. Some high experiences really suck, But many people have great and detailed memories to tell. Write about how you liked or hated your high school years. Would you relive them if you could, or are you glad they are behind you?
6. Write about if you could live anywhere in the world. Where it be? A small cozy town, a big noisy city, or perhaps on a mountain top somewhere? You pick the best place, and write about it.
7. Write about your favorite drink. Kool-aid or hard liquor? Or some fancy concoction? Or just plain old soda can be written about. rite about your delicious experience with your favorite beverage.
8. Write about a favorite pet you miss. Perhaps your pet passed on, or you had to give it a new home. Write about the pain, and how you handled the grief. Pass on your heartfelt experience.
9. Write about the relationship you have with your parents. Do you get along or do they give you a headache? Many of us have great relationships with our parents, but some on the other hand do not. Write about what that relationship means to you.
10.Write about your first love. Write about the poignancy of your first time together. How did it end, are you still together? Was it rocky or was it just plain blissful?
11. Write about the worst car you had. Describe in detail what a piece of junk it was. Did you adore and cherish your lemon or hate it with a passion?
13. Write about a sport event you attended. What sport gets you up and cheering? Do you stomp your feet or sit back and let it play out? There a dozens, if not more sporting events to write about. Was it your first time? What was it like?
12. Write about how storms affect you. Do you love them or are you afraid? Describe the essence of the storm and how it makes you feel. Thunderstorms, blizzards and hurricanes have quite a story to tell.
14. Write about what keeps you up at night. This could be simple or complex. Very personal or simply insomnia. What do you do to get a good night's sleep? Do you have an old fashioned cure?
15. Write about the biggest fish in the ocean. What that might be is somewhere out there. Perhaps it's the Loch Ness monster or simply just a shark waiting to say hello.
More Hubs to enjoy
- 11 Creative Ways To Start Writing
Have you ever sat down at your computer genuinely enthusiastic, prepared to write all those noble visions you have buried in your head down? When all of a sudden your mind is an open abyss of nothingness? Just an hour ago you were brainstorming with.
- You Can Develop A Writing Habit
For some people writing comes easy, with just a blink of an eye. Yet for others it may take a bit more practice and reaching for those ever elusive ideas. But one thing is for sure, writing everyday for a specific amount of time is going to be...
- Simple Ways To Boost Your Memory
There are ways to keep your memory fresh and alive with various memory games, follow these simple yet effective tips to boost your memory.
Forget about writer's block
16. Write about an emotion you dislike. Some people do not experience intense emotions, while others bath in them. What does this particular emotion mean to you?
17. Write about joy. Sort of like hate, some people do not know joy, but try, what is joy to you? Joy can something as simple as smelling a flower or something as complex as jumping off a cliff.
18. Write about learning how to drive a car for the first time. How old were you when you first drove? Did you sneak out on the back roads, or go strictly by the book? Did you take Driver's Education or the DMV?
19. Write about a job you loved. Was this your dream job, or something you did voluntarily? Some jobs are terrible and some are great. Write about what you loved about your job.
20. Write about picking fresh strawberries. Have you ever picked fresh strawberries? If so what was it like, how did it make you feel? If not, what do you think it would be like? Believe it or not, some people have never had the joy of picking a fresh strawberry.
21. Write about the horror of poverty. Have you ever gone hungry? Do you know anyone who is stuck in poverty? What emotion do you feel when you see poverty?
22. Write about the need for more jails or mental hospitals? Do we have enough? Or do we need more? Are the mentally ill taken care of properly in the jail system, or do we need to build better or separate facilities?
23. Write about God. What do you think about God? Is there a God? Is God female, or a figment of someone's imagination? Perhaps you think God is not real, write about it.
24. Write about a baby you met. Was the baby a nightmare, or did you enjoy the experience? What do you think of babies? Love them, or hate them?
25. Write about a disability. Be it your own or someone else's. What do you think it would be like if you were disabled? What is it like if you are? Is your disability visible? It doesn't;t have to be your own, perhaps you know someone who has a disability.
26. Write about your last day of school. Was it High School or College? Were you sad, or happy? Did you throw a party or walk out with a big fat goodbye? Perhaps it was traumatic, joyful or a big relief.
27. Write about a dead celebrity. What do you think of this person? How did they affect you personally? Were they a good at what they did? Did they do drugs, did they contribute to society? What did they mean to you?
28. Write about what your community means to you. Are you actively involved, or passive about your community? What way can you better your community? Does your community benefit you?
29. Write about writing. What makes you want to write? What does writing make you feel? What do you enjoy writing about? How does writing or not writing affect your life?
Writing about 29 things almost seems sparse, however it is a beginning. Once you get started writing, putting your heart into it, it will be like a magic pen has taken over. Your excitement will start to build and before you know it you have written all 29 things to write about. Good luck and enjoy!
© 2010 Boo McCourt