- Books, Literature, and Writing
5 Tips To Help You Match Google’s Standard Of Quality Content
‘Quality Content’ is the latest buzz word when it comes to Google’s search engine rankings. Off late Google is laying a lot of emphasis on quality content. A lot of marketers are taking this lightly and are not giving it due credence as the next big thing in the digital arena, but Google is working harder and faster than you can imagine to raise the standard of content that makes the cut and defines quality.
A recent study says that the time spent on the page has a significant effect on search rankings. This means you need to keep the reader engaged for a longer time, and nothing but quality content can help you achieve this. To help you achieve the standards that match Google’s expectations, we give you 5 tips to generate quality content for your webpage.
1. Content has to be relevant and readable: Word count and the Flesch readability test are important factors that influence the rankings of a page. Google appreciates and loves long-form content, if it is informative and can easily be understood. Also, short content describes the subject in brief, which might fall short of expectations in this era of content generation and marketing.
A study revealed that since 2014, there was a 25% increase in the average text length of the top 30 pages on Google search, an added reason to look forward to writing reasonably long content that is easily understood. You also need to take care of readability of your content piece. No matter how good your content is, if it is peppered with convoluted language and jargon, your readers will eventually lose interest, resulting in low readability.
2. Creating a great user experience is a must: A brilliant UX can definitely help you rank high on Google search rankings. Well-structured and easy to navigate content account for retaining the readers on your website for a longer period of time, which positively affects your webpage ranking. Also, mobile usage is increasing by the day, hence you also need to focus on creating a wonderful user experience for your mobile audience. Having a responsive web design is a great idea to boot, since 30% of the top 30 pages have responsive design (says a report) and the trend will see an upward swing with the growing popularity of mobile.
3. Keyword stuffing is a trend long lost: The dark days of digital marketing – when sentences stuffed with irrelevant keywords were the only way to rank your page on Google search – are gone. This is an era of sensible, tasteful content that your audiences want to read. Your audience is hungry for good content that satiates their hunger to know more, this gives the marketers an opportunity to showcase their creative side time and again. The key is to write content that is apt for human consumption – readable and enjoyable. It’ll will win you the hearts of both users and Google search engines.
4. Correlation between backlinks and search rankings is decreasing: A study reveals the story of decreasing correlation. It suggests that unnecessary link-building is a waste of time, rather brands should focus on creating content that is readable, and sharable. Google is also actively curbing the attempt of unnatural linking to ensure that people get quality results against their search.
5. Social shares push the search rankings: Whether social shares have a direct impact on Google search rankings or not is still ambiguous. However, experts believe that there certainly is a connection between social shares and search engine rankings. This is because the more shares you get, the more number of people you reach. The process not only helps you increase awareness for your brand, but also drives more traffic to your website, a definite plus point for your search engine rankings. Social media platforms are also an effective way to know whether the content you are sharing is appealing to consumers or not. If your audience is not liking or sharing the content, you know you need to work hard to improve your content.
In this era, when people have to sift through volumes of content on a daily basis, it is important to have quality content that creates value for your audiences. You need to focus on what your audiences are looking for and create content that quenches their thirst for information. Good content is easy to create if you follow what your users want and amalgamate it according to these 5 tips.