7 Reasons Why Being a Writer is so Awesome!
NIGHT OWLS PLEASE APPLY
1. I am, by nature, a night owl, I don't even get up till almost noon! My most creative moments tend to happen between 11:00 p.m. and 3:00 am. Don't ask me why it's just the way I am wired. So having a job that I can do around my own unique time clock is a great thing and what comes in at least a good second is that since I don't have to get up until I want to, I also don't ever have to get dressed.
I DON'T HAVE A THING TO WEAR!
2. Which leads me to the next perk about being a writer...you don't have to get dressed in the morning! One of the things I absolutely loathed about working in an office was trying to figure out what to wear every single day! Maybe, it's because I attended a parochial school for 8 years and was forced to wear a uniform. Maybe I just never got the hang of figuring out what I was supposed to wear in a corporate setting. Of course, it doesn't help that I hate the fashion of the day or that I think a suit and pumps are the most uncomfortable and ugly things you can put on your body. I don't know what the reason is but when you are a writer you don't have to worry about mundane things like clothes and boy do I love that!
I LIKE YOU
3. People like writers. Most people don't have a clue how to write so they are in awe of writers. It's almost up there with ..well a “D” list celebrity. Unless you really make it like Stephen King or Carrie Bradshaw (oh yeah she was ficticious but you know what I mean), then you are right up there with the celebrities. But, even if you're just a mediocre writer banging out a living, hanging out at Starbucks, people like you. Writers never really hurt anyone, they aren't like politicians that everyone wants to tar and feather, they aren't boring like auto mechanics or salesmen (sorry to any auto mechanics and salesmen out there, if you happen to be reading this). I used to sit in Starbucks and write and the staff just loved it, they always asked me what I was writing about and if I was someone famous. I enjoyed the questions and made believe that I was someone great and famous pounding out the next New York Times best seller or at least an article that would make me a little coffee money ;)
WHO DID YOU SAY YOU WERE?
4. No matter how famous you get you still get to keep your privacy. No one knows what writers look like. It's great! Even though you might want a little fame now and again, not being recognized is an asset. You can go anywhere and do anything and know one knows you. You can get fat, old and ugly and no one cares. If you suck at writing know one knows that either. Personally, I wouldn't mind a little fame now and again but that's just me..on to the next perk.
SAY WHAT? NO UP-FRONT COSTS!
5. Writing for a living doesn't cost you anything up front! I've done a lot of things in my life and most “jobs” that have anything to do with the term “self-employed” costs money and usually a lot of money! Writing costs practically nothing! Most people already have a computer and access to the internet. Other than that all you need are ideas and ideas are free! I love that I can create something out of nothing. I don't have to get supplies, I don't have to refrigerate anything, I don't have to haul boxes of things around and try to sell whatever it is I'm making. I don't have to get a license or a permit. Nope..writing is start-up free!
THE HOLY GRAIL: PASSIVE INCOME
6. The next perk is one of the very best. Can you say “passive income”. Passive Income is one of the best things about writing for an online magazine like Hubpages. Now, some of you out there might argue with me about this and I will concede that you do have to tweek your articles now and again to make sure that they are relevent but for the most part once you write an article (especially if you aim to make it an evergreen article) you just send it out there and it keeps making money for you year after year. It's awesome! Unlike rental income that you have to constantly keep up and deal with new tenants, as a writer you are free to go on to the next project knowing that your last 200 or so articles are still working hard for you, still bringing in the bacon. Isn't that the best!
THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER
7. Finally, the last really awesome thing about being a writer is that you can do it ANYWHERE! You are free, free, free at last! How many jobs out there can you say that about? I plan on working my way around Europe for about a year in a couple of months and when I embark on my adventure I will write, write, write about my travels everywhere I go. Not only will travelling give me things to write about but I can make money doing so. How great is that!
I love writing, I think it's one of the best professions out there. And, if you are lucky enough to be able to make a living at it, well then, it just doesn't get any better than that!
Additional Articles by Brie Hoffman
- What will happen to your Digital Assets, Online Articles, Posts and Websites when you Die?
Digital assets were not even on the radar less than 10 to 15 years ago. But now, they can be worth a great deal of money. Have you considered what to do with your digital assets after you die?
- Legitimate Ways to Make Money Online and Avoid Scams with no Start-up Money!
As we know there are lots of online scams out there, here are some legitimate ways that I have consistently made money online.
- The Best Way for a Writer to Make Money Online is to Help Others make Money Online!
People need money, writer are people, if writers write about how to make money online they will make money online. It's that simple, here's how it's done.
- How to Travel the World for Almost Free!
Who of us have not felt the call of the world to come and explore it? But, a lot of us do not have unlimited funds to do what our hearts desire. Here are a few ways to travel the world on a budget.
- 19 Off-Grid Small Business Ideas
Money is tight all over but making money off the grid is a unique challenge. If you are off the grid you still need to pay taxes. Here are 19 business ideas in which you can make money off-grid.