8 Tips for writing a newspaper article
Write a journalistic article is only the last step of a very thorough preliminary work. Have clear ideas before writing is necessary. Here are 8 tips to avoid mistakes during write a good text.
1) The news first: It seems trivial but it is not. There are super-reporters sniffing the news from a mile away. But it is an art so mysterious that no one knows how to do. The "normal" journalists, however, know that there is nothing more precious than their own sources. So study them well. Watch carefully the material you have on hand. Consider what the most important things in all that you have available. Put them in a row in time and discover the connections. Think what you intrigued or impressed more. Observed if one of the sources you have available some are contradictory. Or, comparing them or putting them close in your writing, decides whether it will reinforce and illuminate each other as in a mirror.
2) Think about the title: Your business card in the eye of the reader. If you think of a good title, you also have in mind a nice article. The title is essentially a description of your article. Moreover, your article is the description of a news story. Which in turn it is the narrative form of a factor of a set of facts? So try not from the end. Try not to write the article first and then title. Imagine now a title, even provisional, and applied head to your article. Then get to work. If the player falls into the trap that you set up with a good title, it is time not to run away. When you write an article, the most important parts, and the most difficult to write are essentially three: the title (at this point you should have at least imagined), the attack of the work piece (the "lead") and the conclusion.
3) Attack: If you have a good attack, you also have the rest of the article. The attack of an article is like the red carpet in front of a cinema, is an invitation to enter, you lose valuable time and read what you have to tell. Put great care in writing the lead. There are several ways to do this, and by exercising too will find your. But remember, in the attack, that is, in the first paragraph of an article, must be contained in a nutshell all the main elements of the news.
The famous "5 W" (Who, What, Where, When, Why) must be carved in your fingers: the news comes first, before any artistic ambitions or personal emotion. There are journalists who write under the bombs and others that dictate a service in the middle of a square in revolt. Always, in all cases, they must tell the news. Each line that you lose is always too late.
If you can do this, however, you have only done half of your hard work on the attack. Because the attack as well as having a well-defined content (the news) is also the adhesive paper on which they attach the reader's eyes. Therefore eliminates any unnecessary word until you get a few simple lines, basic but engaging, not flat or sloppy. They must inform and intrigue, to suggest to the reader that you have enough material and stories to make it go forward. Write the attack. Then go to the head. And here begins the real work on the body of the article.
4) Arrived at this point is inevitable really think about your reader: You have intrigued with a good headline, and you have built the door of access to what you have to tell him with the attack. Now you have to dedicate yourself to them, to your reader. What's it like? What do they care? What do they like to know? Why they should listen to the story, you have to tell them? Imagine mentally a public rather interested in your article, by a face and then impossible not to know what you have to tell him. The blank page is only a door that you want to cross to meet someone and talk to him. There is no journalism without an audience. Therefore, your relationship with the reader is as important as your understanding of the sources. A good offense is as if a beautiful text message to a girlfriend or a boyfriend has to say a lot in a small space. It is a concentrate of professional information along a few lines.
5) Imagined title, attack and the public: It is time to start writing with humility the news you have collected. You begin to dissolve and enter the various elements that you retrieved in your sources. Essentially, the "body" of an article - its central part - is a story based on facts. No "things" to be told there is no article. If in the attack and in the title have already given the basic elements can now unfold in the text the "5 W" in great detail. As at this point, in the second paragraph onwards, you can make people understand the importance for the "world" of the story you are telling.
6) What if you cannot? There are millions of people who invent stories but not very pleasant tell. Your duty is to abide by the facts and your sources. In theory, beyond your sources there is nothing. Explain the facts and put them next to each other to talk, as they say, the "force of circumstances." It may happen that in the material that you had not immediately able to see facts worth noting. Or that, despite seeing them, do not know how to describe them in a pleasant way. If you do not find the news then you have to start.
If you have news, but do not know how to tell instead is nothing serious. It happens to everyone. An old director told his reporters paralyzed by anxiety of the blank page: "Cannot write? Put in the top of the article 'dear mother' and then tell her everything you have discovered. When you have finished this article, delete 'dear mom' and put in the page as is". It is a trick that worked even in the most desperate cases. Take a deep breath. Imagine a friendly face and tell him what you saw.
7) Before concluding this article, as in life, you have to say goodbye: It is nice to do it with a "goodbye" instead of a farewell, also your reader to be welcome with courtesy and professionalism. On this, there are different schools of thought. Americans are pragmatic and believe that in the end we must build a way out in Article adding background elements, made perhaps less central but still important. In the Anglo-Saxon tradition, the pieces have a structure "pyramid" in which at the end, so to speak, there are things more urgent.
However, if someone has read what you have written all the way means that he appreciated. Therefore, we put a special care in the last paragraph. Try to end with a meaningful sentence. Not necessarily in effect but still noteworthy. Moreover, the last thing that the reader will know of your article before you move on, so think carefully. In newsrooms, usually it says that the most important things one piece is the beginning and end. Start and end alone are worth half of the article. As the end of a film a good movie with an ending pulled away, abrupt or sudden, is not satisfied out of the cinema. Try to avoid it!
8) As you work to your article remember to be a pleasure to write even before reading it: Like a great novel, even one article can remain in history. But unlike a novel, the article of a newspaper is also an object that is consumed in just a few minutes. So as well as precise it must also be pleasant. If what you are writing non-intrigues you first is very difficult that may be of interest to any reader or your editor, that busy as it is likely to underestimate all your work.
Therefore, study your sources, measuring the words, but above all have fun!
© 2016 Akramul Haq Sagar