- Books, Literature, and Writing»
AMERICAN PATRIOTIC AUTHOR MARILYN FRANCIS LONGFELLOW AKA MAFLONGFELLOW
AN INTERVIEW WITH AMERICAN PATRIOTIC AUTHOR MARILYN FRANCIS LONGFELLOW
1) TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOU, WHERE YOU ARE FROM, OR GREW UP; YOUR SCHOOLING AND OCCUPATIONS AND WHERE YOU LIVE NOW. ALSO, WAS THERE SOMEONE SPECIAL, A TEACHER, OR OTHER PERSON THAT INSIPIRED YOU TO READ AND ENCOURAGED YOU TO WRITE DURING YOUR FORMATIVE YEARS?
I grew up in a very old village in the USA, Ohio Valley called Sonora with my nine brother's and sister's. Our church just celebrated it's 200th. anniversary. The three room school house is still standing, or is being held up with what is being stored in it! Haha. We swam, and ice skated and sledded and fished at the areas close by. We were all like a big family looking Out for one another. We never knew we were poor, we were having too much fun and thought everyone was living just like we were. Mom and Dad worked hard and taught us to do the same. With ten kids there was a lot of work to be done. I graduated from John Glenn High School, named after the first astronaut to orbit the earth, who was born and raised right here. His motto was " If you come from here, you can go anywhere” He has inspired the world. He just turned 90! I am a Health Care Aide and live in another small town named Byesville. I care for my handicapped daughter, Leslie, who is a little angel and has survived against all odds, and I have three grown sons. I have always written poems, being a Longfellow it was just in my blood I guess, My grandma Jenny Longfellow was always writing and was a blessing to us all. That is were I got my pen name from MaFLongfellow. She lived to be 95 years old. Grandpa recited long poems and played the fiddle even though he could not read or write.
2) HOW DID YOU FIRST BECOME INTERESTED IN WRITING? DESCRIBE YOUR GENRE, I.E. POETRY, SHORT STORIES, NOVELS, HISTORY ETC? WHO HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST INSPIRATION TO WRITE AND PUBLISH YOUR WORK?
I wrote a patriotic poem for Poets.com and they gave me my first start writing 8 years ago and I haven't stopped. I write Patriotic, current events, Haiku, and Religious poetry mostly, and have put them in four books, the last one "AMERICAN PIE POETRY" I won a book publishing contest through Alliance Poetry and had this one published last year. It was published by my dear publisher and friend Pat Simpson from Alliance Poetry. She has inspired me to write and I am working on "AMERICAN PIE POETRY II" .
3) HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU PUBLISHED, AND WHO ARE YOUR EXPECTED READERS, AND HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THE TITLES.?
"AMERICAN PIE POETRY I" . I wrote "THERE SLEEP'S A STORM, CHRISTMAS MOURN, & I LOVE MY DUCKY'S by myself through LULU.COM. Under MAFLongfellow. I love America and try to promote patriotism when ever I can, So my American Pie Poetry book is full of all my poems about my family and people who have made history. I expect my family, friends, and patriotic American's to be my fans. Christmas Mourn is about my family history and of my grandfather's death in a coal mine. And THEIR SLEEP'S A STORM was written as a memoriam for our area soldiers who have died in our recent wars. I LOVE MY DUCKY'S was written for my seven beautiful grand children, Angel, Ashton, Justin, Brooklyn , Nicholas , Storm & Carol Ann.
4) WHAT DREW YOUR INTEREST TO ONLINE FORUMS SUCH AS POETRY AND PUBLISHING.COM, WHERE YOU ARE NOW A MEMBER? ALSO, TELL US ABOUT LONGFELLOW CORNER, YOUR FACEBOOK SUBSITE.
I submitted a Poem to POET'S.COM and I went from there to “poetryandpublishing.com” home of the WritersAlliance where Pat Simpson introduced me to publishing my poetry. I also belong to Ken Cowle's , Soul Asylum Poetry and his Whistle Radio Program.
My Poet site is on Face book . "LONGFELLOW POETRY CORNER" is my accidental poet site, haha, I just put it on for my family and so many others wanted to join I opened it up to everyone. Poets from all over the world are on it and they are all fantastic people I am glad to have met then through poetry.
5) WHERE CAN WE FIND YOUR BOOKS? CAN. WE BUY AUTOGRAPHED ONES DIRECTLY FROM YOU?
My books are on LULU.COM and Amazon.com. I have had people send me my book for me to sign, or I will send out one to them from here. Glad to do it.
6) DO YOU WRITE ON A SCHEDULE? AT HOME, LIBRARY, OR OTHER PLACE?
I write at home, on the beach, waiting in line....,traveling. Anywhere anytime I get a chance.
7) WHAT IS THE OVERALL THEME IN YOUR BOOKS, I. E. CHILDREN, STORIES, LOVE POEMS, SPY PLOTS?
My overall themes of my books and poetry are patriotic , historic, romantic,religious. and current events.
8) DO YOU WRITE ABOUT YOUR OWN SELF, YOUR OWN INTERESTS, OR THE WORLD AROUND YOU?
I write about the world around me more than anything.
9) WHO DESIGNED THE COVERS OF YOUR BOOKS; AND WHO DID THE ILLUSTRATIONS?
Pat Simpson from Alliance Poetry designed the cover with an illustration I sent her. And it was everything I wanted . She is fantastic at her job and Ican't wait to do another one with her. I picked out the illustrations from lulu for the other three.
10) WHAT PROJECTS ARE YOU CURRENTLY WORKING ON?
I am working on my second book "AMERICAN PIE POETRY II" and a true life story about an area resident who was a midwife in the 1800 hundreds, the end will shock you like it did our whole city.
11) DO YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC WHEN YOU WRITE? IF SO, WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO AND WHY?
I listen to all kinds of music and even the TV while I work on my writing.
12) ARE YOU AN AVID READER?
I read all day long and into the night sometimes, books, newspapers, magazines, reading and reviewing poetry, so yep I guess you can call me an avid reader for sure.
13) WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE AUTHORS?
I love the Authors from my poet sites. Also a local young author I am impressed by is Tim McAULEY, check him out on facebook.com T.S.McAuley or youtube.com/user/tsmcauley
14) WHO DO YOU WRITE FOR; FAMILY, YOUR OWN ENJOYMENT, GENERAL READERS….?
I write for family, friends, general readers and my own enjoyment. My favorite quote that I live by is from Ben Franklin
"If you would not be forgotten. Whilest you are dead and rotten.
Write things worth the the reading. Or do things worth the writing."
15) WOULD YOU RATHER WRITE A BOOK THAT SELLS MILLIONS OF COPIES, BUT HAVE IT BE "CELEBRITY FLUFF" - OR WRITE AN AWARD WINNING NOVEL THAT NO ONE READS? AND WHY DOES IT MATTER?
I would love to be an award winning author, how cool would that be. Never know stranger things have happened. Haha, the money would help that's for sure. But until that happens I'll just be happy writing for the fun of it.
16. ARE THERE ANY LINKS YOU WOULD LIKE TO LIST HERE? SUCH AS WEB SITES; VIDEO TRAILERS FOR YOUR BOOKS, ETC.
LONGFELLOW POETRY CORNER/FACEBOOK
17. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAY TO ENCOURAGE READERS TO READYOUR BOOKS?
Please stop by and check out my books and poetry. They are very informative and patriotic and comforting and soul touching.
18. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO AUTHORS PREPARING TO PUBLISH THEIR FIRST BOOK?
Research and ask questions about the publisher. Know what you expect from them and what they need from you. Try self publishing to gain experience , it's easy and fun!
19. WHAT CAN YOU TELL NEW AUTHORS WHO ARE AFRAID TO FACE THE TASK OF PUBLSIHING THEIR BOOK?
Try self publishing first. You can see your own product all finished and no one else has to see it until you want them to. Or talk to Pat Simpson, she is awesome and very informative.
20. WHAT THOUGHT WOULD YOU LIKE TO LEAVE READERS OF THIS INTERVIEW WITH?
Thank you for taking the time to read my interview, it means a lot to me and I will read anything you want me to also, just ask and stop by and visit my poet site on Facebook anytime and leave A poem or you newest book. Thanks and God Bless, Marilyn/MAFLongfellow
SAY YOUR PRAYER'S
IT'S GOD'S DELIGHT
TO GIVE TO YOU
WHAT'S NOT IN SIGHT...