- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
DAVEDA GRUBER, WRITER , ARTIST, PUBLISHER, PRODUCER, AND FORUM MANAGER
Author Interview with Daveda Gruber
1. YOU ARE AN ONLINE FORUM OWNER/MANAGER, WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR SITE AND WHAT DO YOU OFFER AND TO WHOM?
I own Poetry with Passion which is one of my companies. I offer a forum for poets to gain knowledge from others and for all of us to learn from new writers. Joree Williams, a talented and knowledgeable writer, gives lessons on all sorts of subjects. We offer a number of awards. We have a ‘Poem of the Week’ certificate which is mailed to the recipient with a special PWP pen, we also have a Poet of the Month award which spotlights the poet, and we have many talented poets who have won, with a professional Youtube video of a poem they have written. There is a ‘Poem of the Year’ award which a poet/writer wins a publishing contract with ‘Publishing with Passion.’ Mary Ann Harring-Duhart and Dorian Petersen Potter have won published books. Our site also gives a prestigious annual ‘911 Tower Award’ to the best poem about that tragic day. We give an acyclic ‘Cross Award’ to the best poem for the Christmas season. Our last winner, Helen VanEck Holub was most worthy of this trophy. We have awarded a ‘Silver Pen Desk Set’ to winners of our ‘Romance Contest.’ P. F. Kosak and Melinda Worland have both been most talented winners. We have an annual ‘Easter Egg Hunt’ and Erich Goller, Mary Ann Harring-Duhart and Helen VanEck Holub have all won in different years. This year our annual ‘Patriotic Award’ of a stunning bronze American Eagle with an American Flag wrapped around it, which had previously been won by Jim Elwood Davis (Raindance), a most deserving winner, keeps his trophy with pride, but this year, the start of the contest was interrupted because of the death of my mother. This contest will be in effect again next year. We have a Global Book published once a year and the best writer wins a publishing contract with ‘Publishing with Passion. Joe Hartman won this award last year by a landslide and the contest has begun for this year. All participating poets receive a free copy of the book for their participation. The contest will end when I have the time to do the book. Mary Ann Duhart is very helpful in putting poems/writings in groups so that I can work on a poet when I have the time and the poet has reached the limit of five entries. What would I do without my friends?
2.TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOU, WHERE YOU ARE FROM, OR GREW UP, EDUCATION, WHAT YOU DID BEFORE GETTING INVOLVED IN FORUM MANAGEMENT FULL TIME.
I was born in Montreal, Canada and am now a very proud American citizen; having aced my test. I do much more than ‘manage a forum.’ I am a professional video producer; having been in the music industry many years ago. I wrote lyrics to songs, worked a mixing board in a recording studio and even sang background vocals. I do profession graphic art design along with my partner Helen McManus. I have been ‘in the arts’ for many years now. I am a professional promoter. I have promoted an artist named John Petrie many years ago. He did a painting entitled ‘The Israeli Martyr’ which is a striking piece of art of the 1972 Olympics. I marketed posters of this amazing piece. I own a publishing company, ‘Publishing with Passion.’ I also write press releases and articles which spotlight the writers that I publish and write on a variety of subjects including political references and everyday life. I also design websites. I just designed a ‘Construction Website’ and now have learned about gutters, dry wall and many other things that I do not do or wish to do myself.
I guess, I believe in expansion. A ‘Blonde World’ can be quite complex and busy! I do many things.
3. WHEN DID YOU START WRITING AND WHY DID YOU BEGIN WRITING? / WAS THERE SOMEONE WHO INSPIRED YOU TO WRITE DURING YOUR FORMATIVE YEARS? ARE THERE OTHER WRITERS IN YOUR FAMILY BACKGROUND?
I started writing as soon as I knew what words were. I have always written and been interested in the English language and grammar, although, I speak French as well. I wrote a eulogy before I knew what one was when I was quite young and since, unfortunately, have had reason to write more.
4. WHEN DID YOU FIRST CONSIDER YOURSELF A WRITER?
When I was a child, people were always interested in what I had put into words. I would have to say; when I started to write I was a writer.
5. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIFIC WRITING STYLE?
I write in a variety of styles. I have written novels for adults and children. I write both serious and humorous books. I can write any style of poetry and have created many forms that I am credited for. I have put Glossaries in poetry books and explained poetic styles.
6. HOW DO YOU COME UP WITH YOUR BOOK TITLES?
That comes from a place inside my mind. My titles represent the book they will highlight and bring attention to.
7. HOW MUCH OF THE BOOKS ARES BASED ON REAL LIFE??
Some are based much more than others on real life situations. There is always a part of my stimulating imagination that seeps its way into my writing.
8. ARE EXPERIENCES BASED ON SOMEONE YOU KNOW, OR EVENTS IN YOUR OWN LIFE?
Some, but as I have said, I use real life situations, at times, as a base for a story or a poem and let it flow or take off from there.
9 .WHAT BOOKS HAVE MOST INFLUENCED YOUR LIFE?
Now, that is very difficult for me to answer. I have read so many, and actually, history has always fascinated me. There are too many to choose from and publishing books gives me new writers to focus on all the time.
10. IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE, WHICH WRITER WOULD YOU CONSIDER A MENTOR?
Mentor is too potent a word to set upon another. I feel that I have mentored myself.
11. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING NOW?
The ones I am publishing.
12. IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE ONE BOOK TO READ THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, AND NOTHING ELSE, WHAT BOOK WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
I could not really pick one but, if I really had to, I would select the biggest history book I could get my hands on. We learn what the future will bring from what has already passed.
13.DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING YOU ARE WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT THAT YOU’D LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?
I just finished publishing ‘The Butcher’s List;’ an amazing murder novel by Roger S. Williams. I’ve just did the final editing on a most interesting political book, ‘A Letter to the Class of 65’ by Michael Duane Small. I’m in the process of finishing up a very inspirational spiritual poetry book, ‘Remembering Mama’s Prayers’ by Mary Ann Harring-Duhart. I am nearly finished formatting ‘The key to Success’ by Arthur Tugman and then there is my own book of humorous short stories entitled ‘My Blonde World.’ Quite a mixture, wouldn’t you say?
14.IF YOU HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, WOULD YOU CHANGE ANYTHING IN YOUR LATEST BOOK?
Not one single word.
15. WHAT IS YOU MOST OUTSTANDING TRAIT AS A WRITER?
I’d say that my most outstanding trait is that I am very versatile.
16. IS THERE ANYTHING YOU FIND PARTICULARLY CHALLENGING IN YOUR WRITING?
I am challenged when I am pressured for a deadline.
17. WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE AUTHOR AND WHAT IS IT THAT REALLY STRIKES YOU ABOUT THEIR WORK?
Usually the author I am formatting a book for at the time. I enjoy the books that I put out for others to read. The books that I have published are all so well written.
18.WHO DESIGNED THE COVERS FOR YOUR BOOKS?
At this time, I do, and for some books Helen McManus does such a wonderful job. We sometimes collaborate on a cover. I do so many other things that the support I have from Helen and Joree Williams is most welcomed and appreciated.
19. WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART OF WRITING YOUR BOOK?
There is nothing ‘hard’ or difficult about writing a book except when it contains emotional content such as in my book ‘Death of a Daughter,’ which contains true accounts of my daughter’s shortened life.
20. DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING FROM WRITING YOUR BOOK AND WHAT WAS IT?
Living life is a learning experience so my books always give me little lessons in life.
21. DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR OTHER WRITERS, PARTICULARLY NEW OR UNPUBLISHED WRITERS?
Don’t think you are the best. Read what others write and always learn. We all can discover from each other. You can write from your heart, make up stories or write on what you have special knowledge about. The mind has no restrictions.
22. DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING SPECIFIC THAT YOU WANT TO SAY TO YOUR READERS?
Live your dream; never say it cannot be done.
23. IF YOU COULD MIRROR THE CAREER OF ANY OTHER AUTHOR, WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
Why would I mirror someone else, when the key is to be who you are?
24. IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE SOMETHING TO DO RATHER THAN WRITING AND MANGING YOUR FORUM, WHAT CAREER WOULD YOU CHOOSE AND WHY?
With managing a poetry site, formatting (publishing) books, doing video productions, creating graphic art designs, writing press articles and releases, creating websites for clients and maintaining my own sites and writing my own books and poetry; I can’t think of anything else at this moment. What else would I have time to do?
25. I KNOW YOUR FORUM IS DOING WELL, WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART OF GETTING IT TO STABILIZE AND GROW? HOW MANY MEMBERS DO YOU HAVE NOW, IF THAT IS NOT A TRADE SECRET?
I have many members. Read into what answers I have given you and you will find the answer to your own question.
26. WHAT IS THE INTERVIEW QUESTION YOU ALWAYS DREAD BEING ASKED? CAN YOU GIVE US THE ANSWER?
‘When do I have time to relax’ would be the question. I don’t have the answer.
27. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE INTERVIEW QUESTION, AND WHAT IS THE ANSWER?
The question would be, “Is what you do gratifying?” The answer is, “Yes!”
28. WHAT IS THE MOST INTERESTING THING ABOUT YOU?
I am not afraid to be myself. You just never know what to expect from me. I can be a fun person to be with because of my sense of humor. I live in ‘My Blonde World’ and I love people!
29. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO UNPUBLISHED WRITERS ABOUT GETTING THAT FIRST BOOK PUBLISHED?
Write it, then, ask people who are knowledgeable what they think. Explore the audience you are aiming for. Don’t grab a deal that just looks good or is inexpensive. Look for who will give you promotion. You get what you pay for.
30. WHAT HELPFUL ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE PLANNING TO START THEIR OWN FORUM?
It takes much work and computer knowledge. It takes money to get it off the ground and run it properly. You must have people who are trustworthy to help.
31. IS THE ADVICE IN QUESTION 30 APPLICABLE TO FORUMS OTHER THAN WRITING OR POETRY?
Yes, I believe so.
32. WHAT GIVES YOU TRUE HAPPINESS IN RUNNING YOUR FORUM?
Seeing others happy gives me pleasure. Watching others blossom to their full potential is very gratifying.
33. IS THERE A WEBSITE OR PAGE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE INCLUDED ON YOUR REVIEW POST? JUST A GUESS, BUT I BET THERE IS ONE FOR YOUR FORUM? LIST ALL OF THE LINKS YOU WANT TO HERE.
I’d add more, but that would be ‘the blonde in me’ getting out of hand! Still, you can contact me at:
34. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAY TO THOSE WHO READ AND COMMENT ON YOUR INTERVIEW?
I would like to say thank you to all of you who took the time to read this article. I hope that you have enjoyed my answers. Come visit! Love to all from, Daveda!