Creepiest Vocabulary Words Ever and Take a Squiz at Our Quiz
We selected these words for their horror factor, that is words with meanings that best encompass the most shared human fears: rape, murder, kidnapping, Sadism, infanticide.
We struggled to leave this list at 10 words. Composing the list made us curious about our reader’s opinions. Please take our poll below and tell us which word has the worst meaning. Then, please think of your favorite horrible word and type it in the comments section. Please do not choose a synonym for a word already listed. We hope to discover the worst word in English in 2017 with our Beloved readers’ help.
Is Sin the Decider?
Lucky Number Eleven: One Alternate Word, Please
We have one alternate word, Thanatos (thăn′ə-tōs′) a noun meaning Death as a personification or as a philosophical notion. We excluded Death because we thought genocide was worse.
Make a List
List 10 of your own most horrible words based on the words' meaning. Then make a list of the 10 most horrible words based only on how the words sound.
The Evil 10
- Pedophilia: noun (pĕd′ə-fĭl′ē-ə, pē′də-) is the deriving of sexual gratification from sexual fantasies or acts involving a child.
- Rape: noun (rāp) is the crime of using force or the threat of force to compel a person to submit to sexual intercourse.
- Slavery: noun (slā′və-rē) is the condition in which one person is owned as property by another and is under the owner's control, especially in involuntary servitude.
- War: noun (wôr) is a state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties.
- Schadenfreude: noun (SHAH-dun-froy-duh) is enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others.
- Abattoir: noun (ăb′ə-twär′) is a slaughterhouse.
- Genocide: noun (jĕn′ə-sīd′) is the systematic and widespread extermination or attempted extermination of a national, racial, religious, or ethnic group.
- Suicide: noun(so͞o′ĭ-sīd′) is the act or an instance of intentionally killing oneself.
- Munchausen syndrome: noun is a a mental disorder in which an individual derives emotional satisfaction from inflicting injury on others and then subjecting them to medical treatment or a psychiatric disorder in which a parent or other caregiver seeks attention from medical professionals by causing or fabricating signs or symptoms of illness in a child.
- Pestilence: noun (pĕs′tə-ləns) is a usually fatal epidemic disease, especially Bubonic plague.
Horrible Quizview quiz statistics
More Crafty Practice for Halloween
Make another list of horror words, but this time, if you are feeling brave, you might even base the list on your own most feared things. Then, get crafty and devise Halloween decorations based on your list of the scariest words you can think of.
We chose words that involved directly harming someone because we think that is a good criterion for evil. Other words, like suicide, made the list because they are so unbearably sad. Pestilence made the list because while it doesn't have malice or foresight, it is still horrific.
If you have other ideas about it, feel free to contribute your own criteria in the comments section. We are interested in learning if others agree with our criteria: hurting others, sadness, and disease-related words. We will use any information we gather to produce another Worst Words list next year.
Rate the Evil, Please
Select the Very Worst Word of 2017
More Articles About Words
As always Beloved Readers and Students, we have enjoyed writing this for you. Drop in and see us anytime. We'll leave the site on for ya!
dictionary.cambridge.org/us. 15 September 2017. Web site. 15 September 2017.
Harris, Muriel. Prentice Hall Reference Guide. Upper Saddle River: Pearson, 2017. Print.
https://www.merriam-webster.com. 15 September 2017. Website. 15 September 2017.
thefreedictionary.com. 6 september 2017. Website. 6 september 2017.