- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
Accolades and Awards on HubPages
HubPage Accolades are a rewards system that HubPages has developed to encourage people to use their site and remain active members. It is an ingenious idea because there is the emotional satisfaction that comes with being “rewarded” and it is a simple act that reinforces your achievements using their site. These accolade badges appear on your profile to remind you and show others the different milestones you have reached.
Beyond the mental satisfaction that these trophies give us, there are are also tangible results from earning these awards. Your personal Hubber Score will increase and thus validating your position within the community. As an established HubPage member, your articles will be more appealing for people to click on and read. Hubbers will be more likely to follow accomplished writers because they have proven themselves to the larger community.
When trying to learn about the accolades and awards on HubPages, I found their learning center uninformative and the FAQ page minimal. I decided to write this hub to hopefully help others better understand the reward system. The following will be a breakdown of the different Accolades that HubPages awards its members. These examinations will not only include why each award is given but tips on ways you can achieve them. There will also be warnings on what to look out for. As is the case with any automatic system there are people who will try to cheat it.
*I will not repeat in every section that articles should be well written and error free. That should go without saying.
Easy To Accomplish
These accolades are the ones that you have total control over. All you have to do is put in the work or have the patience for the appropriate amount of time to pass.
Years on Hubpages Accolade
There is literally nothing you need to do in order to achieve this accolade. Once you have signed up for HubPages, all you do is wait. Every year they will give you a new accolade celebrating another full year spent as a member of the HubPages community. This is more ceremonial than anything else.
Hubs Published Accolade
Writing is no easy task. However, if you are on HubPages then I assume you enjoy writing. All you have to do to complete this challenge is write hubs. After publishing a certain number of hubs, you will receive an accolade. You will get your first Hubs Published Accolade after only 10 articles. The next accolade comes at 50 hubs and then again when you reach 100 hubs. After that it takes a little longer. The following Hubs Published Accolades will come at 300, 500, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, and 10,000.
- Enjoy the process of writing!
Featured Hubs Accolade
I have a feeling this Accolade was created, because HubPages has been struggling with the backlash from Hubbers and potential members regarding their deindexing policy. HubPages may assign hubs a rel=”nofollow” link, which tells search engines to ignore it and essentially kills the article. This happens because it does not meet HubPages quality standards or the article is not attracting enough viewers. The Featured Hub Accolade rewards members for having a certain number of Hubs “featured” or not assigned a nofollow link at the same time. It follows the same number system as the Published Accolade. Your first accolade is awarded after only 10 articles. The next accolade comes at 50, 100, 300, 500, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, and 10,000.
- This is all about editing. If you want your Hubs to remain featured, then you need to keep editing them. Hubs that are deindexed because of low traffic can be reindexed by simply adding, removing or changing one word. Hubs deindexed because of poor quality will require more extensive edits.
Questions Answered Accolade
This accolade is awarded every time you have answered a set number of questions. Similar to the Published Accolade, the first achievement is reached at only 10 questions. Once you reach the first marker it becomes harder to advance to the next level. You will receive the next accolades after answering 50,100, 300, 500 and 1,000 questions.
Great Commenter Accolade
You are awarded Commenter Accolades every time you reach a new level of commenting. To move up the commenter ladder, simply jump onto different hubs and leave positive, thoughtful comments. You are also rewarded for responding to the comments other people leave on your hubs.
Notice the word “great” being used. Comments should be “engaging and insightful”. Talk about specifics in the article and your impressions. There are a few people who will leave two work responses like “great hub” or ”voted up”. Be wary of these short comments. They could be attempting to raise their commenter status without actually reading articles or contributing in a meaningful way.
Great HubPage Citizen Accolade
The Hub Hopping feature is one of the ways HubPages monitors the quality of their hubs. (The link to Hub Hopping is located on the right side of the feed section and above your accolade box.) Hubs that have been written in the last 24 hours are put here for users to read, comment, and monitor for any material that break HubPages guidelines/rules. To encourage HubPage members to help monitor the site, accolades are given for Hubbers who help by participating in the Hub Hopping feature. Make sure to vote hubs "up" or "down" to get credit for this one.
- Straightforward strategy here, read and respond to articles on Hub Hopper. Although most of the hubs will probably not be in your area of interest, it is a good way to open yourself up to the other subjects popular on HubPages.
- This one requires constant maintenance. If you stop being a "great citizen", the accolade will disappear from your profile.
Fairly Easy to Accomplish
These accolades are relatively easy to accomplish but there are some elements that are outside your control. You will be dependent on not only the quality of your work but also the response of other. These trophies are fairly easy to acquire because HubPages encourages the action that will help you succeed.
You can earn accolades by asking questions on HubPages. Correction, asking questions will not get you this accolade but having people answer them will. You will receive your first accolade when 50 people have answered your questions. This is calculate by accumulating all of your questions together. You can do this with one answer for each of your 50 question or one question could inspire 50 people to answer. You will receive a higher accolade when 100, 300, 500, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, and 10,000 people have left answers to your questions.
- Opinion questions will often times get more responses than questions with one clear answer.
- Ask question you care about. If you are passionate or curious about a question other people will be too.
- Some people will post a continuous stream of questions in an attempt to win accolades and increase their HubScore. I have stopped following people because all they did was post several questions a day and rarely put out any quality articles.
Hub Views Accolade
The ultimate goal of writing is to have your work read. This accolade celebrates reaching different milestones in the number of times your articles have been read. As usual the first award is pretty easy to reach and each additional level becomes harder to attain. You will hit your first honor at 1,000 page views. To move up from their you will need to have 10,000, 100,000 and 1,000,000, 10 million and 100 million readers.
- Post links to your work on the different social networks. These change in popularity but the big ones right now are Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Choosing Key Words with high search rate and low usage will get you top placement on search engines. Google AdWords is a great free resource. Key Words can be used in your article and in your description.
- Writing high quality hubs on unique or popular topics will get people to come back and recommend your article to others.
- Write constantly. The more hubs you have the better the chance one of them will be discovered in the vastness of the internet.
To win the popular accolade you need people to rate your articles. They can rate it Useful, Funny, Awesome, Beautiful or Interesting. Getting this trophy is pretty straight forward.
- Take the time to read and comment on other peoples hubs. This will often inspire people to come to your hubs and leaving a comment as well or at the very least give it a rating.
Engaging Writer Accolade
The Engaging Writer Accolade is more difficult to achieve than the Popular Accolade because it is more dependent on fellow hubbers. You will earn this accolade when people read your article from start to finish. This is measured by the amount of up-votes your articles get. The useful, funny, awesome and interesting buttons are more likely to be hit by outside viewers. The vote-up button is more dependent on hubbers within the community, who understand its importance and recognize the thumbs-up/thumbs-down symbol.
- Write, Write, Write and write some more. The more high quality hubs you write the more up-votes you are going to get.
Editor’s Choice Accolade
HubPages is heavily dependent on automation and user interaction. However, there are human editors who work for HubPages. These human editors will choose Hubs to be placed into HubPages social media platforms, if they meet a high quality standard. You will be awarded the Editor’s Choice Accolade if 5 of your Hubs have been picked for the Editor’s Choice Feature.
- Writing an amazing hub that utilizes great pictures and is clearly laid out should be standard practice for every Hub you write. I have discovered that finding a unique niche on a topic can help your article get noticed by editors. Don’t write what somebody else is already doing, find your own topic within an area you are passionate about.
You will receive your first Follower Accolade when 100 hubbers are following you on HubPages. This number can seem daunting at first but people want to find good hubbers to follow. Keep writing solid articles and your followers will grow. You will be rewarded again when you reach 300, 500, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, and 10,000 followers.
- Comment on other peoples articles and you will increase your presence on hubpages. People will see your comments and possibly check out your articles.
- Follow people you share a common interest with and write on similar topics. They will probably be as interested in your writing as you are in theirs.
- When you follow someone, write them thoughtful fan mail that shows you enjoy reading their articles.
- There are people out there who will follow almost everybody they come across in the hopes that a few will follow them back. It is better to have a smaller number of followers who are actually interested in your articles than a larger number of followers who are uninterested in what you are writing about. You want followers who will read, give feedback, and rate your articles. Also your HuberScore is penalized if you are following significantly more people than are following you.
Difficult to Accomplish
These awards and accolades tend to be a little more difficult to attain than the ones listed above for a variety of reasons. They are not something you can achieve by simply pumping out work. You will be required to create an extraordinary piece of writing that stands out to the readers. Even then it might require a bit of luck.
Great Discussion Starter Accolade
Unlike the previous accolades that added up all your articles and questions, this award requires one article you have written to generate a lot of comments from its readers. This will require not only inspiring people to comment after they have read your hub but also getting a lot of people to your article in the first place.
- Thought-provoking or controversial hubs will have a better chance of generating a large number of comments.
- This is where having a lot of followers who want to read your articles will come in handy.
Best Answers Accolade
When hubbers ask a question they can pick the “best answer” from all the people who took the time to write a well thought out response. This can be a difficult award to achieve for two reasons. First, only one answer can be the best. Second, many hubbers will not choose a “best answer” for a variety of reasons. If your answers are chosen as the best 10 times you will receive an accolade. Awards will be received again at being picked for best answer 50, 100, 300, 500, and 1,000 times.
- Answer questions with clear answers. Opinions questions will not usually have a best answer chosen.
Hub Of The Day Accolade
To win the Hub of the Day award, one of your hubs needs to be featured on the HubPages Homepage. Every day one article is chosen by the HubPages staff and is circulated with other winners for 9 consecutive days. If you are one of the hubs chosen to be featured on the HubPages’ sign-in page this award will appear in your accolade box. That way people will still know of your accomplishment long after the article has been taken off. New and old hubs are eligible but there are ways you can increase your chances of being picked.
- Write articles for HubPages special programs. (Weekly Topic Inspiration, HubNugget, or Contests)
- The first image must have an original size of at least 200 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall.
- Only Uses legal and properly sited images.
Hubbie Award Winner
The Hubbie Award has the exact same standards and process as the Hub of the Day Accolade. Except, this one is only given out once a year. This is the ultimate accolade for any hubber to achieve.
This is probably the hardest award to win because you only have your first 60 days of joining HubPages to do it. Every week the HubNugget Team chooses three topics for that weeks contest. They then pick articles from new hubbers on that topic. The writer must have a HubberScore above 75 to be eligible. The group of finalist are then voted on by the hubbing community.
Perhaps you have too many trophies on your fireplace mantle or you do not want to show off how amazing you are to the entire world, there is a way to keep the accolades from appearing on your profile.
- Go to My Account
- Click on the Profile in the top be selected.
- At the bottom of Edit Profile page you are given option to show accolades.