Meet Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables)
Who is Anne Shirley or Anne of Green Gables?
Anne Shirley is the wonderful red-headed, freckle-faced, spirited and orphaned child that many of us know and love from the Anne of Green Gables stories written by Lucy Maud Montgomery.
Anne's legend is so large that some people have the mistaken belief that she was a real girl who lived in Avonlea, Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.) As a matter of fact, the town that Anne Shirley lived in, called Avonlea, is even a work of fiction that has since been recreated on the Island and in the movies for the purpose of allowing us to enjoy Anne's world.
On this page, learn more about the fictional Anne Shirley and the author L.M. Montgomery who created the character. Discover the many books Anne appeared in and the movies and films that have been made about her.
When Was Anne Shirley Born And Where Does She Live?
Where Was Anne Shirley Born and Where Did She Live?
The Anne of Green Gables stories state that Anne Shirley was born in Bolingbroke, Nova Scotia in March 1865 where she lived with her parents for the three months of her life before they died of typhoid fever. Bolingbroke, Nova Scotia is a fictional town. It was based on Lucy Maud Montgomery's New London, Prince Edward Island, birthplace.
After that, Anne lived with various families as a servant of sorts. At the age of eleven, she was sent to live with Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert in Prince Edward Island. On the island, she lived in a house called Green Gables, which was modelled after a real house that L.M. Montgomery's cousin lived in.
That house is now set up as Anne Shirley's house and you can visit it in person if you are so lucky or through the following videos from the tourist attraction on P.E.I. One of the videos presents a heart warming discussion of why Green Gables is important to so many people and shows you the exterior of the house and the lovely grounds, another video actually takes you inside the house and a third finds a costumed interpreter giving you a guided tour of Green Gables and Avonlea.
This video shares a heart warming discussion of why Green Gables is important to so many people and shows you the exterior of the house and the lovely grounds.
In this video, a costumed interpreter takes you for a visit to through the grounds of Green Gable and to many of the sights of Avonlea.
In this video, you actually get a peek at the rooms inside of Green Gables.
Anne of Green Gables Books
A List of Anne of Green Gables Books - Anne Shirley appears in numerous books by L.M. Montgomery including:
- Anne of Green Gables (1908),
- Anne of Avonlea (1909)
- Anne of the Island (1915)
- Anne's House of Dreams (1917)
- Anne of Windy Poplars (1936),
- Anne of Ingleside (1939).
- Anne Shirley appeared in or is referenced in other books including:
- Rainbow Valley (1919) which deals with her children’s childhood
- Rilla of Ingleside (1921), which deals with her youngest daughter and World War I.
- Chronicles of Avonlea
- Further Chronicles of Avonlea
- The Blythes Are Quoted (a short story) which includes Anne as a grandmother at the beginning of World War II.
- Before Green Gables (The authorized prequel to Anne's time in Avonlea, written by Budge Wilson.)
- A New Beginning (An unauthorized prequel to Anne's time in Avonlea, written by Kevin Sullivan.)
Did You Know...
That you can read
Anne of Green Gables
in 30 languages?
How cool is that!?!
Anne of Green Gables Books on eBay
All available from eBay with FREE shipping in the U.S. and Canada.
There are many wonderful Anne of Green Gables items available on eBay. If you are building a collection or seeking out just one interesting Montgomery book, you might like to check these items out. They all feature FREE shipping in the U.S. and Canada.
Anne of Green Gables Musicals
Anne of Green Gables The Musical Video
A peek at the original play, held every year at the Charlottetown Confederation Center in Prince Edward Island.
If you want a little look into the Anne of Green Gables Musical here is an exciting one for you. If you have seen the play before, it is sure to bring back fond memories. If you haven't, it is just a hint at what you are in for when you do! Find the Anne of Green Gables musical soundtrack by clicking here.
Did You Know...
You can eat the World's best ice cream (according to Tauck World Discovery) at COWS on Prince Edward Island?
Our favourite scene in the live musical version of Anne of Green Gables that we saw in Charlottetown is the ice cream scene! And yes, we ate COWS ice cream!
Anne of Green Gables Movies and Shows
A List of Anne of Green Gables Films
- Anne of Green Gables (1919) a silent film with Mary Miles Minter.
- Anne of Green Gables (1934) a movie with Dawn O'Day.
- Anne of Windy Poplars (1940) movie with Dawn O'Day.
- BBC mini-series (1972 and 1975) with Kim Braden based on the books Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. The first is no longer available but the BBC Anne of Avonlea series is by clicking here.
- Akage no Anne (1979) a Japanese World Masterpiece Theater production.
- Anne of Green Gables (1986) a CBC Television movie by Kevin Sullivan with Megan Follows.
- Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987) a CBC Television movie by Kevin Sullivan with Megan Follows.
- Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series (2000) by Kevin Sullivan.
- Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000) a CBC Television movie by Kevin Sullivan with Megan Follows.
- Anne: Journey to Green Gables (2005) animated story by Kevin Sullivan.
- Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008) a television movie with Barbara Hershey as an older Anne and Hannah Endicott-Douglas as a young Anne of Green Gables. A prequel to Anne's time in Prince Edward Island written by Kevin Sullivan.
- Kon'nichiwa Anne: Before Green Gables (2009) a Japanese anime film.
Did you know...
Anne of Green Gables
and Road to Avonlea
have been shown in
over 140 countries!
How cool is that?!?
Anne of Green Gables Movie Bloopers - Showing Anne Shirley at her best...well, maybe not.
This is an entertaining look at some of the funny scenes from all three movies. If you have seen the movies, you will enjoy a return trip. If you haven't, you will have a preview of the fun to come when you do see them but please consider carefully my SPOILER ALERT on the right hand side of the video. Otherwise, many moments in the series may be ruined for you. I know you will enjoy it!
Before you click on the play button please be aware that these bloopers contain many, many images from the movies, which may ruin moments for you if you have NOT seen the movies.
Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning Movie Version
Anne Shirley is all grown up!
The fourth installment in the Anne of Green Gables series featuring a brand-new screenplay which was written by Kevin Sullivan. It is a three-hour television movie based on the characters that Lucy Maud Montgomery created, a prequel to the 1985 Anne of Green Gables mini-series which was released on television in Canada in October 2008.
- Before Green Gables Book Review
Before Green Gables is the highly publicized, much anticipated, authorized prequel to the book, Anne of Green Gables written by Budge Wilson, published in 2008 and read by me right away, that summer. Anne of Green Gables intrigues me because I...
- Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning, Children's Bo...
In the book Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning, the war in Europe is winding down and Anne Shirley was a middle-aged writer returning to the island for a visit. Without thinking about it, she agrees to create a play to be performed during the...
More Reading About Anne of Green Gables & L.M. Montgomery
Anne of Green Gables Canadian Postage Stamps
Anne of Green Gables celebrated the anniversary of her 100th year in 2008 and, to honor the occasion, both Canada Post and the Japan Post Service jointly issued these two stamps featuring Anne of Green Gables and Green Gables House.
- Anne of Green Gables Postage Stamps From Canada and ...
In 2008, the 100th Anniversary of the publication of Anne of Green Gables, Canada Post issued two collectible Anne of Green Gables Stamps featuring Anne Shirley and Green Gables. The postage stamps are 52-cent domestic rate stamps which means that...
- Controversial New Anne of Green Gables Book Cover
Recently a company self-published a three-in-one Anne of Green Gables boxed book set and radically changed the image on the cover from that of the red headed, freckly 10-year old girl we have come to know and love as Anne Shirley to well, an older...
- The Looking For Anne (Of Green Gables) Movie
If you are like me, when you watch the movie trailer for Looking For Anne, you are going to get goose bumps. This is exactly the kind of historical story that I am intrigued by and which I find extremely moving. Looking for Anne is a new...
- Who Was Lucy Maud Montgomery?
Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942) created Anne of Green Gables from her vivid imagination and Anne's story was first published and presented to the world in 1908.
I Love Anne of Green Gables & Prince Edward Island
Prince Edward Island is indeed a magical place, as it is portrayed in the books and the movies and even this Anne of Green Gables calendar. If you are able to visit and you love Anne of Green Gables, it will definitely be well worth your time. Seeing the live performance of Anne was a highlight of my family's visit to to the island and my children are both boys!
When we visited P.E.I. for our summer vacation a few years ago, I thought that that visit would be enough. I never would have dreamed that I would be ready for another visit so quickly. However, all of this reading about Montgomery and her books (I even recently re-watched one of the Anne of Green Gables movies) has made me, once again, long for the east coast of Canada!
Of course, I know that you don't have to visit to love everything about Anne of Green Gables!
Have You Visited Prince Edward Island?
© 2008 Treasures By Brenda