Joel Osteen - Your Best Life Now - Book Review
Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen - A Book Review
This hub includes a brief review of the book Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen. Son of the late John Osteen, Joel Osteen is a minister at Lakewood church in Houston, Texas. He ministers to a very large congregation of several thousand people (upwards of 40,000) at the nondenominational Christian Church. His wife Victoria and his two children are very supportive and involved. Like he took the ministry over from his father, he is grooming his young son to do the same one day.
In addition to his ministry which is often televised across the world, Joel Osteen is the author of several books including Your Best Life Now that have served as inspiration and motivation to many. Yes, he does have some critics who have said negative things such as he is trying too hard to appeal to the masses, he won't take a position in his Christian views and he talks too much about gaining wealth which is not the focus of Christianity. Nevertheless, I recently read Osteen's immensely popular book, a New YorkTimes bestseller, Your Best Life Now. I have nothing negative to say about it.
In fact, here are some of the positive highlights I would like to share.:
Everyone has problems - financial problems, health problems and more
- In summary, Osteen emphasizes not feeling sorry for yourself. No one has the perfect life. There is no such thing. Everyone has problems whether they be related to finances, health, infidelity in a marriage or other scenario.
- We may have had a lot of ambition in our youth for certain things that we wanted to achieve in life and we have reached the point where we have given up and never saw the attainment of those goals. Nevertheless, if we find that we must give up on something, we must still remain positive. Osteen says "if one dream dies, dream another dream".
We must not settle
- Strongly emphasized throughout the book is Osteen's philosophy that we must not settle for mediocrity or poverty. God wants us to achieve great things and have wealth and abundance that we deserve. If your parents were poor, it does not mean that you have to be poor too. You don't have to settle for "that junk".
- I laughed out loud when I read that part. Osteen successfully injects some humor here and there throughout the book while still staying on track with his messages and affirmations.
- It is good to achieve more than your parents did and it is good to expect that your children will achieve more than you do.
- Osteen avoids negativity and tries to stay positive in everything he says in the book. He offers a lot of advice to business owners and general advice for family life and friendships.
- He talks about not returning bitterness with bitterness. When someone - a stranger or someone you know - is having a bad day and says bad things to you, what they need is a kind word more so than the bitterness being returned to them.
Joel and Victoria Osteen
When we give we receive
- Your Best Life Now is a book that focuses on success and achieving the most that you can. It offers many Biblical stories as anecdotes for certain scenarios but scripture is not quoted that much. Instead, the last pages of the book offers recommended passages to read in the Bible if there is something particularly troublesome that you are trying to overcome.
- The book does not close without telling us that we must also give abundantly. We must give to others if we want to receive God's blessings.
- I believe that this is a very positive book to read. I recommend it highly.