Building a Library of Curious George Books
Curious George is one of the most popular characters in children's literature. Created by H.A. Rey and Margret Rey, this adorable monkey lives in the city with a caretaker who is simply referred to as The Man with the Yellow Hat.
About the Series
Each book in the Curious George series follows the same basic format, which makes Curious George books a great choice for preschoolers and beginning readers. More than 30,000,000 Curious George books have been sold throughout the world and the titles are available in 14 different languages.
Typically, George goes to visit a location such as a pizza place, museum, or parade. Like a child, he is very excited. Unfortunately, that excitement leads him to cause trouble and make mischief. In the end, however, he redeems himself and is forgiven by the adults in the story.
Curious George Plays Baseball, published in 1986, is a good example of the formula used to create books in this series. George wants to learn how to play baseball like his friend Jimmy. He bats a few balls with the team, but he chased away by players who think he is just causing trouble. In the end, however, George makes a catch that helps the team win the game. Much to the delight of the young reader, he is celebrated as a hero!
Curious George at the Baseball Game , published in 2006, describes George's first trip to the baseball stadium using a similar plotline. The Man with the Yellow Hat, who is friends with the head coach of the Mudville Miners, has decided to allow George to watch the team from the dugout. George is excited to be in the stadium, but mistakenly thinks the coaches hand signals are how you are supposed to cheer for the players. He is banished from the stadium, but gets to return after he figures out a way to help a lost boy find his father.
A Curious George Book List
Building a complete collection of Curious George books takes time, since there are many different tales in this series.
Only seven of the Curious George books were published during H.A. Rey’s lifetime, even though he is always listed as the author of Curious George books.
The “original adventures” of Curious George include:
- Curious George
- Curious George Takes a Job
- Curious George Rides a Bike
- Curious George Gets a Medal
- Curious George Flies a Kite
- Curious George Learns the Alphabet
- Curious George Goes to the Hospital
After H.A. Rey’s death his wife began working on additional stories with Alan J. Shalleck. When she passed away, the books in the “new adventures” series were written and illustrated by various ghostwriters.
Some of the many titles in the "new adventures" series include:
- Curious George and the Dump Truck
- Curious George and the Pizza
- Curious George at the Fire Station
- Curious George Goes to the Movies
- Curious George and the Birthday Surprise
- Curious George and the Dinosaur
- Curious George Makes Pancakes
- Curious George Plays Baseball
- Curious George Takes a Train
- Curious George Visits the Library
- Curious George Visits the Zoo
- Curious George's Dream
- Curious George at the Parade
- Curious George Goes and the Hot Air Balloon
- Curious George Goes to a Chocolate Factory
- Curious George Goes to School
- Curious George Goes to the Beach
- Curious George Goes to an Ice Cream Shop