Chicken Quotes, Sayings, Fun Facts and Trivia
Chicken quotes and sayings
- Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. - Aesop Fables
- It is not unprofessional to give free advice, but advertising that the first visit will be free is a bit like a fox telling chickens he will not bite them until they cross the threshold of the hen house. Warren E. Burger
- If a man's gonna eat fried chicken, he's gonna get greasy. - Author Unknown
The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg. - Author Unknown
- When arguing with a chicken a grain of corn is always wrong. - African Proverb
- Ever think of what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth. - Anne Tyler
- It is better to be the head of chicken than the rear end of an ox. - Japanese Proverb
- The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed. - Martina Navratilova
- An overcrowded chicken farm produces fewer eggs. - Chinese Proverb
Last Night I Dreamed of Chickens
Last night I dreamed of chickens,
there were chickens everywhere,
they were standing on my stomach,
they were nesting in my hair,
they were pecking at my pillow,
they were hopping on my head,
they were ruffling up their feathers
as they raced about my bed.
They were on the chairs and tables,
they were on the chandeliers,
they were roosting in the corners,
they were clucking in my ears,
there were chickens, chickens, chickens
for as far as I could see...
when I woke today, I noticed
there were eggs on top of me.
Chicken Facts and Trivia
- Heat does not kill chickens, humidity does. Chickens function fine in higher temperatures, however humidity has been know to lower a chicken’s performance and render them dead.
- Americans consume an average of 8 billion chickens each year.
- On average, a hen lays 300 eggs per year.
- Chickens have full-color vision.
- There are more chickens on earth than humans.
- Chickens lay different colored eggs, including such colors as white, brown, green, pink, and blue.
- There are over 150 kinds of domestic chickens.
- Chickens have more bones in their necks than giraffes!
- To produce a dozen eggs, a hen has to eat about 4 pounds of food.
- The chicken is the closest living relative to the tyrannosaurus rex.
- The waste made by a chicken in its lifetime can make enough electricity to run a 100 watt bulb for five hours!
- Chickens can mourn for each other.
- A rooster takes 18 to 20 breaths a minute, and a hen 30 to 35.
- The greatest known number of yolks in one egg is nine.
- A chicken is 75% water.
- The fear of chickens is called Alektorophobia.
- Gainesville Georgia is the chicken capitol of the world.
- A chicken takes 21 days to hatch.
- Chickens can travel up to 9 miles per hour.
- A chicken loses feathers when stressed.
- A mother hen turns her egg approximately 50 times a day, so the yolk does not stick to the shell.
- There are four cities in the U. S. that have the word 'chicken' in their name: Chicken, Alaska; Chicken Bristol, Illinois; Chicken Bristol, Kentucky; and Chicken Town, Pennsylvania.
- How to Use Shredded Chicken: Recipes and Much More
Do you enjoy making chicken recipes for lunch and dinner? There are numerous possibilities for cooking with shredded chicken from sandwiches to soups to casseroles with something for everyone.
- Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipes
Sweet and sour sauce recipe with three different recipes for sweet and sour chicken. Features sweet and sour battered chicken balls, sweet and sour chicken stir fry and sweet and sour chicken noodles.
- Caribbean Chicken: Healthy Low Fat Recipe
Luscious Caribbean Chicken is a delicious low-fat, low-sodium healthy recipe that will tease your Caribbean Palate and leave you feeling satisfied.
- Photo Essay of the Life of a Chicken: From Newly Hat...
Watch a group of 100 Cornish Rock chickens grow from fuzzy yellow balls to noisy adults. This photo essay shows all phases of care and feeding on a private farm.
- The Amazing Life of Colonel Harland David Sanders, F...
Harland David Sanders didn't have enough money to retire at 65. He decided to open a restaurant selling his special fried chicken. It resulted in one of the most successful franchises in U.S. history.
- Twelve Utterly Bizarre Chicken Breeds
People love to breed animals with extreme characteristics, but what does this mean for chickens? Take a gander at some truly freaky chicken breeds.
I wonder if chickens do a people dance at their weddings.
© 2011 Susan Hazelton