- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Books & Novels»
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Books»
Coolest Game of Thrones Characters
The Characters of Game of Thrones
If you're new to Westeros and George R. R. Martin's 'Song of Ice and Fire', getting to know all the characters and where they stand can be pretty tricky considering there are so freaking many of them. Here's an easy break-down of who is who is Westeros before we break down who the coolest characters are and who has the best shot at the Iron Throne. I'm also throwing in those we've lost who I'll throw a special memento to later in this article.
(To be clear, I'm an avid fan who's read all the books and seen every episode so...spoilers are coming if you aren't caught up).
House Stark "Winter is coming"
The Stark's hold the seat of Winterfell, AKA 'The heart of the North'. They are an ancient house and their sigil portrays a dire wolf, (a giant super-wolf). They worship the old gods and are probably the most honorable house in this fantastical land. Major characters of House Stark:
- Lord Eddard Stark, (former Warden of the North)
- Lady Catelyn Stark
- Robb Stark, (formerly the 'young wolf')
- Jon Snow, (the bastard of Winterfell) *He counts!
- Sansa Stark
- Arya Stark
- Bran Stark
- Rickon Stark
- Benjen Stark (Ned's brother)
House Lannister "Hear me Roar"
Not the nicest kids on the block but definitely the richest. They are the Lords of Casterly Rock where all the gold comes from and they are a family of blonde schemers to say the least. Most of them, (besides one favorite of course), are power hungry asses that will do just about anything to overthrow anyone who opposes them. Their sigil is a golden lion. Here are there major characters:
- Lord Tywin Lannister
- Ser Jaime Lannister
- Cersei Lannister
- Tyrion Lannister
- Kevan Lannister
- Lancel Lannister
House Targaryen "Fire and Blood"
Probably the coolest house, (I think, anyhow), and the only people who have been known to ride dragons. Their sigil is a three-headed dragon. They had some psychos in the lot which brought down their house - (the mad king). They are known for marrying brother and sister to keep bloodlines pure, (eh), and having silver-white hair and purple eyes. They ruled the seven kingdoms until being taken down by House Baratheon during a rebellion started by 'the mad king' lunatic who wanted to burn everyone to bits. But hey, two survived:
- Daenerys Targaryen (The Mother of Dragons + a lot more titles)
- Viserys Targaryen
- Rhaegar Targaryen
House Tyrell "Growing Strong"
These laid-back dudes rule Highgarden where all the best crops come from in the great lands of Westeros. Their sigil isn't a popular as the others, nor are their words as they are more of a peaceful lot. Their sigil is a rose. Here are some notable characters from their house:
- Olenna Tyrell (The queen of thorns)
- Margaery Tyrell
- Loras Tyrell
- Mace Tyrell
House Greyjoy "We do not sow"
They are pretty much the outlaws of the seven kingdoms. Taking stuff that doesn't belong to them is basically their way of life. They are known to be badass on the ocean and live in 'The Iron Islands', (a pretty crappy place if you ask me). Their sigil is a kraken. Here are some of their main bros and ladies:
- Lord Balon Greyjoy
- Euron Greyjoy
- Theon Greyjoy
- Yara/Asha Greyjoy
House Martell "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
They were the only house to survive the war with the Targaryens when they conquered the seven kingdoms. They rule Sunspear and were allowed to keep their titles as 'Prince' and 'Princess' because they held off the reign of the dragons. What happened to them sucks but here are the most notable members of their houses:
- Oberyn Martell
- Doran Martell
- Tystane Martell
House Baratheon "Ours is the Fury"
A house known for its physical strength and the former Kings of the seven kingdoms. Even though we all know some of these names aren't true Baratheon's, I'll add them anyway since it's their name in the show and books. Their sigil is a stag.
- King Robert Baratheon
- Stannis Baratheon
- Renly Baratheon
- Marcella Baratheon
- Joffrey Baratheon
- Tommon Baratheon
And here are all the other main characters in the show that are a must-know for fans: (Living & Dead)
- Lord Varys ("The Spider")
- Lord Peter Baelish (Littlefinger)
- Lady Brienne of Tarth
- Podrick Payne
- Gregor Clegane (The Mountain)
- Sandor Clegane (The Hound)
- Meera Reed
- Khal Drogo
- The Red Woman
- Ser Davos Seaworth (The onion Knight)
- Ser Jorah Mormont
- Samwell Tarly
- Jaqen H'ghar
- Ramsay Bolton
- Ellaria Sand
- Ser Barristan Selmy
It's not easy being drunk all the time. If it were easy, everyone would do it.— Tyrion Lannister
One of the best fan videos!!
Coolest Characters & Why
Every character in this series has unique attributes, (even the scumbags), that make them pretty damn cool. Everyone has their opinion about who should sit on the iron throne - (we can get to that later). But, there is no denying the utter coolness of these characters!
This list is going to contain major spoilers so don't say I didn't warn you!
- He slapped Joffrey in the face.
- He's one of the smartest characters on the show and gives great advice to those he deems worthy.
- He drinks & he knows things :)
- Given the advice he has already bestowed upon our favorite mother of dragons, it's pretty obvious he's one of the best hands there is out there.
- Even though he grew up richer than anyone else, he never looks down on people, (unless they are assholes).
- He killed a dude using only a shield!
- He released the dragons when they were chained up and they didn't scorch him.
- Most intelligent person in 'the great game' and he KNOWS IT
- Tactical, easy to relate to and freaking hilarious. This dude has it all going on.
- And an added bonus is Peter Dinklage plays him to perfection.
Brienne of Tarth
- She beat "The Mountain" in one-on-one combat
- She totally sticks to her oaths, no matter what obstacles stand in her way.
- Even though she was told to be a lady, she wanted to be badass with a sword and completely accomplished that goal.
- She made Jaime Lannister actually likable by showing a more human side of him.
- She fought a freaking bear with a wooden sword!
- He died and came back to life!
- He made friends with the wildlings, (and they make good allies when it comes to fighting).
- Sure he sort of mopes around sometimes but the dude has a lot on his plate and he handles his business.
- He was a 'giver' in the cave with his lady love Ygritte.
- His sword skills are on point.
- During the battle of the bastards, he challenged Ramsay to one-on-one combat and when denied, he ran head first into battle with only a sword and good intentions - AKA he got blood drunk and wrecked some people.
- His direwolf Ghost is awesome and still alive :)
- She has DRAGONS!
- Even though she lost her home, lived in exile her entire life, she still keeps a positive attitude, (generally).
- She gave no F*cks when her asshole of a brother was killed by Khal Drogo.
- She not only HAS dragons, she can RIDE those dragons.
- Her judgement is good when it comes to politics and ruling even though nobody really taught her.
- She freed all the slaves and stood up to those uptight, fancy-pants masters.
- She speaks mad languages.
- Unlike most people on the show, she actually wants to make Westeros a better place instead of just seizing the throne for power alone.
- He's loyal and speaks up for what he believes in even though he isn't noble born.
- He earned his spot. It wasn't just given to him.
- It was super sweet how he was with Shireen Baratheon & amazing when he stood up to the Red woman when he found out what she did to his 'kind-of' daughter.
- All his "little birds" - he's basically in every room all the time - a useful quality!
- He owns his troubled past and took the ultimate revenge with the guy in the box.
- This dude can adapt to any situation and does not only whatever it takes to survive but also what's in the best interest of the people that nobody else seems to give two shits about.
- He helped Tyrion escape.
- He's articulate and knows that "the contents of a man's letters are just as important as the contents of their purse"