Creating a Library Newsletter
Whether you are an experienced user of Microsoft Publisher or not, you can create an incredible newsletter by using an already prepared template. The hardest part for me when creating a newsletter, is deciding which template to use, and then which color scheme to go with. Think about what you want to include in your newsletter before choosing the template, as the amount and type of information will make your decision easier. Below are some suggestions for what you might want to include.
Pinterest Library Newsletter Ideas
- Library Newsletter Ideas
A collection of ideas to use in your school library newsletter.
Things You Might Want to Include in Your Library Newsletter
- Introduce new books, magazines, software
- Tell about book clubs
- Explain check-out policy, late fees
- Tell about Accelerated Reading program
- Introduce library staff
- Tell about summer reading program
- Tell about technology used in the library
- Give parent links to reading resources
- Give statistics about highest book circulations
- Tell about an author
- Tell about special library events such as a visiting author
- Tell about award-winning books
- List current AASL standards being covered and how they relate to school curriculum
- Tell about the book fair
Microsoft Publisher Instructions
- Open Microsoft Publisher, select File and then New.
- Here you will see a variety of templates, beginning with a row of blank templates, then most popular templates, and lastly, more templates. Under the most popular templates row, select Newsletter.
- Now there will be a large assortment of newsletter styles to choose from. There will be a small picture of the newsletter with a little bit of information to help you decide which one will best fit your needs. These are divided into two sections: the Office.com templates which will need to be downloaded (only takes a few seconds), and the already installed templates (you will see these as you scroll down the page).
- Once you have selected your template, you will need to either select Download (for the Office.com templates) or Create (for the already installed templates).
Editing Your Newsletter Template
- The template is there and you are ready to edit the information. Go to the bottom right corner to increase the size of the newsletter by clicking on the plus symbol.
- Click on the title. A box will appear. Click on the words and it will become highlighted. Type your title and it will remove the current title and replace it with yours.
- Continue to fill the newsletter with you information in the same manner as you did with the title until all spaces have been filled.
- Color scheme: At the top of the screen, select Page Design. Select the drop-down arrow with line to see all of the color-scheme choices. Click on the one you would like to use.
- Background color: Select Page Design. Select Background Color at the top right corner. From here, select More Backgrounds to see other options. The following tabs will appear: Gradient, Texture, Pattern, Picture, and Tint. (Remember, if you select something that you do not like, simply click the back arrow symbol at the top left corner to take your newsletter back to the way you had it before making the change).
- Fonts: Place the cursor over the text area you want to change. Select it, causing the entire text area to be highlighted. Select Page Design and then Font, in the top right corner. Choose the font you would like to use.