- Books, Literature, and Writing
Everything You Wanted to Know About Freelancing but Were Afraid To Ask
Have you thought about freelancing? Have you heard the life of a freelancer is not all the pretty as you thought? Here are some things about freelancing that you may have been afraid to ask.
1. Quantity over Quality is that for real?- In stepping back into the world of freelancing I have notice in kind that most require you to write insane about of articles a day like I saw one employer post they want 5 or 10 articles a day! HOW!!!! I guess I am not that up to par in my writing skills for is that normal? I see people saying oh yes I can do that. Then I saw one person post that they can only do 2 or 3 a day for if you want good content it’s highly impossible to do 5 or 10 articles a day. I was like AMEN! HE IS A TRUE WRITER! I am sorry but for me 3 is my limit I usually write 2 or 3 a day then I let them simmer overnight and tackle them again the next day add to it polish it to perfection or a perfect as it can get from me. Every article I write is so important to me and that I present the best from myself. Plus I am a mom so it may take 10 hours just to write one sentence some days!
2. Can you Trust? - This is the next question you may be afraid to ask can you trust this possible employer over the internet? Sadly I am a bit of a paranoid is trusting people will pay me and watch I get screwed over, but I’m never going to get anywhere if I just sit here and do nothing. I wonder also what is the tactful way to say when are going to pay me and not offend…hmm.
3. If your employer uses slang when chatting should you run?- Some of the employers may want to chat via messenger to get to know you better and find out more about you and if you are the right fit. Yet if your employer says tc for take care then should you be scared?
4. What if I’m shy with a bit of low self worth? - If you have esteem issues or are shy this can become a major factor as every job you see you think oh I can’t do that and just throw your hands, even though you may be able to. So belief in you is important.
Confession of a Freelancer
It has been a long time since I have freelanced. I have wanted to go back into freelancing... But…there was always but, an excuse of I’m not good enough. I have written for me mostly not anyone else and I have written on what I know and have experienced to build up my writing skills. Most of all I got to share and inform open up eyes. So this is a bit hard writing for someone else and following their rules, and writing what they want on topic I neither know or care about. Yet I do learn something new in my research so that is always a good thing. Plus that is true writing, true freelancing so I should not complain, but it you have only written for yourself on things you love it can be a bit strange and hard at first. I still try and work my passion and quirkiness to the articles I write for others, so far I have not gotten scolded either. Yes after many years of hiatus from freelancing I have seriously decided to get back into it. I was not serious before and only put half myself into it. I got my first gig and hope they are not looking for free work (Grumbles) oh! Sorry for the pessimism, that just me!
Other suggestive Hubs on writing