- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing»
- Creative Writing»
- Humor Writing
Forgetting Valentine's Day, Birthday Etc.
I originally wrote this a Valentine's Day only piece but it can relate to Birthday's, Mother's day or just about any other important day. I also wrote it to be entirely a humor piece but there are some good pieces of advice added to. Oh and this doesn't just apply to the fellas it applies to the ladies too. Remember that before you whip out your belt.
Well, it's that day February 14, 2013.
I hope none of you fellas out there forgot about it because if you did, well, you know you're gonna hear about it for awhile.
I can't be mad that my husband forgot because I did too. I've been under the weather for the past few days so chocolates and candy are the last things on my mind. I have to say, I do like chocolate just not too often.
For those of you that didn't get a Happy Valentines Day from anyone, here it is from me to you. Happy Valentines Day! I hope you have a wonderful day and don't work too hard if you have to work today. And tonight when you get off from work, treat yourself to something nice.
For you fellas that forgot about your significant others best day other than her birthday here's a list of things for you to do. Ladies, if your men don't read my stuff just take em to the computer and show it to them.
1. Breakfast in bed for the next whole month, not the end of February, March 15th. You'll see I tacked on an extra day for good measure. Oh and try to be more creative than toast. If she doesn't eat breakfast then make it dinner or her favorite meal of the day. If it happens to be lunch and she's at work then take her a nice lunch everyday for the next month.
2. Do at least 60% of the house work. If you already do half of the house work then make it 75% of the housework for the next month. If there's a dispute over what your wife/GF says is 75% then just make it 100%.
3. Fellas, you put the kids to bed for the next 30 days and if they want an extra bedtime story you read it to them. If they want a snack make it for them. Oh yeah and have their snacks ready for them when they get home from school. If you are at work when they get home from school then you'd better get up a little earlier in the morning and get crackin. Oh yeah and make sure those snacks are healthy and your kids like them.
4. Give her a back and foot massage for the next month, until March 15th. For an entire 30 minutes. If there are any chores you forgot to do during the day tack on an extra 10 minutes of back/foot massage.
5. If you have pets, fellas, you take care of them too for the next month. That means, dog walks, baths and most importantly scooping car litter boxes. I know they smell really bad and you hate scooping them but scoop them anyway. Your cats will thank you for it.
6. Do the grocery shopping for the next month. And don't just buy what you think should be on the list, you buy everything on the list. Most of all don't question the list unless you want to be cooking for the next month too.
7. Do something special for your lady at least once a week that she's not expecting.
8. Cook her favorite food/meal once a week. If you don't how to cook(very few men aren't familiar with the kitchen these days) then I suggest a culinary class. Seriously, this can be a great addition to helping out with the household. You could both take culinary classes. This would not only lead to better skills in the kitchen but would also lead to learning how to prepare healthier meals. This is a win-win either way.
9. Write a love letter once a week and to make it more interesting hide the letter for her to find. But make finding it easy, you want her to find it no more than a day after hiding it. Be creative but make it easy to find. If your writing skills need improving again I suggest a class. You could both take writing/literature classes together. It would be fun and improve your writing and knowledge of literature.
10. This is the most important step. I give you nothing here. This one is for you to figure out. Men, you decide what would be the best thing to give your wife/GF and act on whatever you choose at least once a week without fail. It has to be good.
Always be considerate in what you do. Be caring, listen, remind yourself to do the special things. Don't let the kids, your job, other responsibilities take front seat to your relationship. Always be there for each other and try to show each other in little ways that you love one another.
This concludes my not exhaustive list. Guys, if you are ahead of the game and remembered Valentines Day then kudos to you. You can forget the entire list except for the last paragraph above. And if your wife/GF didn't remember the special day then by all means show this to her and let her know what she's going to be doing for you the next month. You'll probably hear alot of huffing and puffing and groaning and grumbling that she already does all this stuff. If so, let it go for now. Wait three days and show her this list again. You'll hear the same huffing and puffing. Drop it, wait three days and repeat procedure. If you still hear whining inform her that she's just tacked on 6 days to her punishment. She's going to see it as being punished.
Remember guys, you might get everything on this list(if you're lucky) but not without groaning and wailing.
Also, ladies tell your gentlemen to wash their own drawers for a month. If you don't know what these are, they are otherwise known as underwear or boxer shorts.
Most importantly ladies, if your man makes a fuss over this list make him do the cooking for an entire month, until March 15th or whenever you happen to read this list. It's 31 days for good measure.
Gentlemen, don't forget the gift with that card. Good Luck! And Happy Valentine's Day or Happy Birthday if you happen to read this on your birthday.