Free Online Poem Generators (Random Poetry and User-Seeded)
The ability to write poetry is a gift, but also a skill that can be honed through practice and study of the masters. Fortunately, many people can't tell the difference between poetry written by a human and that generated by a randomized algorithm. So if you have an English assignment that requires you to write a poem and you're feeling lazy, you're in luck! These online random poetry generators can produce reams of verse that passably sound as if they were written by an untalented human, or one who took too many bong rips. Some require nothing more than clicking a button, others let you seed the algorithm with your own word lists.
List of Random Poem Generators (Free!)
- Language is a Virus: A fun online random poetry generator that really is no more than a single-click operation. The poetic output is free verse, unrhymed and unmetered. The theme is generally abstract with imagery from nature. Because the words and sentence structure vary randomly, the poems don't make sense, but are sufficiently "poemy" to fool a careless reader.
- Heretical Rhyme Generator: Seed this poem generator with a single line and it will output a random 4-line poem that actually rhymes!
- H2K Random Poetry Generator: This humorous generator has pre-set themes of "Love," "Cheating Ex-Boyfriend," "Summertime," and "Pterodactyls." The word lists and sentence patterns can be altered to create a more personalized random poem. The pre-set themes are unrhymed and unmetered, but by customizing the lists you can create poetry with more structure.
- Goth-O-Matic Poetry Generator: Poems are created by selecting the them and then filling in the blanks Mad Libs-style from a drop down menu. Not exactly random, but hilarious nonetheless.
- Jelks Poem Generator: Just hit the "Spew!" button to generate a completely random poem. The default theme is "Sweetly" but you can change it to "Like a doctor," "Strangely," "Like Clinton," "Like Bush," "Like a hippy," "Like Jim Morrison," "Like a valley girl," or "Randomly."
- Dada Poem Generator and another Dada Poem Generator: Both of these free online poem creators work by converting seed text to semi-nonsensical Dada-style poetry. You can input a real poem, text from an article, or even text from the infamous "Belly Fat" ads.
- Thinkzone Poem Generator: Pre-set themes are "City" and "Sea" but the word lists and sentence patterns can by changed to deliver poetry on any theme. It also includes two blank word lists so you can add more variables to the process.
- Machine Generated Random Poetry: This free online poem creator has a dropdown menu of pre-set forms including haiku, tanka, lanturne, nonet, quinzaine, katauta, sedoka, and clarity pyramid. It also has a list of themes that includes "The Cloud," "The Elephant and the Albatross," and "Pennsylvania '99." You can also choose the default "No Theme." This generator is the best choice for English assignments that require you to create poetry in one of the standard forms.
- Nature Poem Generator: Created by Mel of MelsWeb, an online portal for lesbian artists. This poem generator outputs 9 lines of free verse poetry with a nature theme.
- Poem Idea Generator: This page gives you a single line of poetry, meant to inspire you to create the rest of the poem on your own. However, nothing can stop you from clicking the button over and over again to generate as many lines of poetry as you need.
- Poetry Generator: Simple page that gives you 3 to 7 lines of randomly generated poetic text. The words are all capitalized, so you may need to edit the output.
- Smurf Poem Generator: A random poetry machine that produces Smurf-themed verse. Like others, it has customizable word lists and sentence patterns so you can explore more than just Smurfs.
- Random Walk Poetry Based on Darwin's Origin of Species: This is a more sophisticated poem generator that uses Darwin's seminal book as the seed text for the output. Sentences are randomly chosen so that the lines of poetry have end-rhyme. You don't have to click a button to generate a random Darwin poem; the page automatically updates every minute to display an entirely new poem.
Random Poem Generators in Action
Here is a sampling of poetry created by some of the free online generators above.
Heaven Shunned by Goth-O-Matic
Slender beams of moonlight enter
this darkened prison as I kneel,
always supplicating, always lost,
Angelic forms wrought in panes of glass loom as
dust dances in the air,
forming an image in my mind,
spearing my naked eyes.
Blood on a clock's face.
I raise my head, now submitting to
this aloof mortality.
Pterodactyls by H2K Random Poetry Generator
Brightly, darkly, heavily.
We fly, but only for a while,
Though it's now more leathery and less yellow.
Tree and wing, ay, aha! birds like the desire.
O! We ate the sun and the blood, why not linger?
Reptiles exist and before them voracity fails!
As the skylines are, the suns saw silently.
Birds -- scaly birds!
When do reptiles become nights?
Only the day cowers as a pointy wing.
Elephant and Albatross Clarity Pyramid by Machine Generated
stampede jungle drums
albatross dying catharsis of water
glory birds, gold and orange the shallow birds of paradise