Golden Desires: A Poem
My heart seeps out puddles of gray,
Though golden clouds peek in windows today,
The fiery mist gathers on wayward hills,
As I cling to the hope of future thrills,
The possibilities swirl in an endless sea,
Enticing choices flutter high, singing out to me,
Catch and release with prayers to be wise,
Clinging to glimpses of truth with half-opened eyes,
Shards of glass pierce my soul yet help mirror former breaths,
A myriad of sighs refresh my soul, saving me from likely dismal deaths,
My heart holds shifting emotions like a tumultuous river,
While my mind rationally anchors these, my submerged eyes still quiver,
Confusion capitalizes on an already melancholy inclination,
Though innocent musings cover lonely cities from a nightmarish nation,
It appears untangling twisted dreams is much harder than it seems,
Still optimism gives flight in cerulean skies, illuminated by golden gleams,
Before verity unfurls its enlightening face and strength rides in to bring forth escape,
I’ll hold tight to the aspirations I've envisioned, and grasp onto future’s flowing cape,
Hidden deep within is a longed-for peace, resting comfortably below an anxious cover,
Though patient, I still long for divine moments like an unrequited lover.
About 'Golden Desires'
This poem might be described by some as nonsensical, because it was mainly meant to convey emotion and not necessarily a literal meaning. Also, imagery is prevalent throughout to help catapult the readers' imagination. In this way, they can interpret the meaning in whatever form they choose. Although, it does mostly display a roller-coaster of feelings flowing from a girl that is unsure of her future. This person's initial mood is melancholy, but she gradually finds a glimpse of joy within nature. The beauty all around her lifts her spirits, helps her to be aware of her emotions, and assists in promoting optimistic thoughts. Feelings of confusion and anxiety about what is to come still shroud her unsettled mind, but she knows that hope will soon be on the horizon. The girl's doubtful emotions somehow intertwine with clarity as she finally finds peace. In the end, she is left with a lighter heart as she waits for all her dreams to come true.
Literary Elements Used
Can you identify these in the poem?
- Imagery: painting a picture with words for the reader by using descriptive words to convey a literal meaning or to evoke a certain emotion
- Alliteration: repeating the beginning sounds of words that are placed close together
- Rhyme: helps to structure a poem with words that sound alike; usually at the end of each line
- Rhythm: a pattern comprised of stressed and unstressed syllables used in order to create the 'beat' of a poem
- Tone: the mood that is created within a reader as he reads a work of literature (communicated by the author through his or her writing)
- Diction: relates to the particular words chosen and how they are ordered
- Word Order: assorting words to form structure meaning, and (in poetry) assist in creating a rhyme scheme
- Rhyme Scheme: a rhyme pattern used at the end of lines of poetry; for example, ABAB